Further Account Actions Taken Today

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryll Committed Player

No his metaphor was not. As I just said in my reply to him that the "$5" does not become the property of the "convenience store." The "gum" is their property.

Everything isn't black and white - that is exactly what I am saying. This directly relates to those that are getting their artifacts zeroed who did not abuse the glitch. If they purchased catalysts & nth metal to level their artifacts and got their artifacts zeroed that is a major problem. That still qualifies as theft.

The punishment is a joke. It is a slap on the wrist.

I also have not been affected by anything related to this situation.
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

As echoed by others, and even just speaking for myself, I find the punishment extremely generous in that access to your account/characters is still available.

If anyone feels differently and would like their account to instead by permanently banned, please open a ticket with our support team and we can close you right up.
    • Like x 15
  3. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

If you were on when artifacts jumped through breakthroughs, you just get to keep those artifacts at the higher level. You didn't take any action to make that happen, and in fact could not have avoided it if you were on during that small window. Enjoy and have fun!
    • Like x 9
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The only people getting zeroed are people who used the glitch for 10% or more of the experience on the artifact.
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Will you be addressing the feats that were missed because of the breakthrough?
    • Like x 2
  6. Ryll Committed Player

Yes, which leaves it open for quite a few people. The punishment is a slap on the wrist. If they are getting zeroed out...they should be banned. Permanently.
  7. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I'm confused by your thinking, wouldn't permabanning them be an even greater "theft" following your logic about mats? If someone had just bought a years membership on January 1 and got permabanned that would surely be a greater theft. They wouldn't get any sympathy from me either, I'm just not sure I understand you.
  8. Ryll Committed Player

If they bought a year membership and got banned I wouldn't feel any sympathy for them either - because they still did something that violated the ToS that resulted in them getting banned to begin with.

What I am saying is that this arbitrary 10% and more threshold is ********. Let's say a player leveled their artifacts to 160 before the glitch. Double xp weeks, buying catalysts, seals of preservation or completion. If they used the glitch for the threshold of 10% - which would be only roughly 68k experience - it isn't even enough to get to the next breakthrough at 180. Their artifacts would be zeroed because of the ******** threshold. Meaning if the spent any real life money on leveling that artifact...it's gone - and they would have to level the artifact again. If it isn't returned....it's theft. The person from your example buying the year long membership doesn't get a chance to spend money again nor do they get a refund - which is obviously appropriate because they violated the ToS to get banned in the first place.

This ******** 10% threshold is giving everyone the chance to spend their money >again< on leveling the artifacts. This isn't a punishment at all. It's theft. It literally is as simple as that. An account ban is far more appropriate. Let them make another account and restart the game that way.

Zeroing artifacts is a slap on the wrist and theft.
  9. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

This makes it all the more sweeter to me, especially those who blatantly abused it. Makes you wonder about their character (or lack thereof) in real life, no?

For most people, they see something that isn't intended would stop and put in the ticket. Being ignorant of this is not any justification of leniency either. It's 2022 and people know how to put in help tickets. If you don't, well, maybe checkers and chess is more your speed and not video games.

The less unscrupulous people playing video games the better. Good riddance.
  10. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

Wrong. People are just impatient that's all and want to take the easier path. That path just happens to cost real life $. Their choice to pay or not but it's not impossible. Don't be so dramatic.

You don't need seals. It helps and the RNG may not be great but you're making it out like you cannot ever do a breakthrough without it and despite the low odds what you're saying isn't true.
    • Like x 1
  11. Sentiency Well-Known Player

You all can talk about how this is a fair punishment but we’ll be right back here the next time an exploit happens with hundreds-thousands of people taking advantage of it again because they know at the end of the day the chances of them keeping their account is high. It’s demoralizing when “egregious” cheating isn’t worth a perma ban and many people who benefited from this exploit still get to roam around, meanwhile the rest of us are left with 35 source marks and a “sorry this happened.”
    • Like x 1
  12. Ryll Committed Player

Yep, no one has even really explored the precedent this is setting. At least in terms of player conversation on the forums.
  13. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

I don't know. I mean, we're all looking at this from the outside in all you know is what you're speculating and what information shared by Mepps is worth sharing. Trust that the people who work on this game for a living know what they're doing. Pretty sure it wasn't a light-hearted decision made in five minutes. It was probably a very difficult one that took days even a few weeks maybe with plenty of different opinions in which way to go. As someone else mentioned in a previous post, it's not so black and white.
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I don't understand the attention on reducing item xp being theft, yet permanently banning the account isn't or is better in some way?

Regardless, these actions will not change.
    • Like x 15
  15. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Look at this from the perspective of a "fine", the legislation very often applies a penalty in the form of a fine, sometimes the amount of the fine exceeds the cost of the damage caused many times over ...
  16. Ryll Committed Player

Hey Mepps, does DB have the means to fine people?
  17. Sentiency Well-Known Player

I’m looking at it from the perspective of someone who quite literally watched people openly ask in in-game chats how to do the glitch because they “knew nothing would happen.” Even after the bans trade and lfg knew they would get unbanned. This is not our first rodeo with exploiting and it won’t be the last. However this decision sets the precedent moving forward that cheating even one of the biggest money makers for them in this game will most likely not earn you a perma ban and that’s disheartening for people that have earned everything the correct way.
    • Like x 3
  18. Ryll Committed Player

A permaban is more appropriate yea. It isn't the same as theft because they violated the ToS....which resulted in the ban.

Reducing item xp if the player has spent anything on leveling that artifact before the gltich....and not refunded it....is theft. Essentially its double dipping if the player decides to spend more on leveling artifacts.
  19. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

There is no theft because your in-game stuff and characters belong to daybreak not you. They do only need to keep everything you purchased (with real life money) IF you follow the ToS. They are in their right to take your stuff away or lock them if you break the rules of conduct on using their products.

You could only call it theft if you were following the rules 100% and yet they took something you spent your money on, like deleting a aura or giving you something that doesnt work as promoted without a possibility to refund.
  20. Gamma Lantern Committed Player

Just so we’re all clear, your point is that the exploiters should have been banned because that is the appropriate punishment for their offence and the zeroing of artifacts is a punishment that was chosen because it benefits Daybreak the most.

Not saying that I agree with your point of view but I feel like most people replying to you are confused as to what your point was from previous posts in this thread so just wanted to clear that up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.