The Importance of Solo Play in DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MrMigraine, Mar 14, 2016.

1. the solowing Steadfast Player

XIV is a JRPG first, them a MMO second, sure you have your solo content, such as dailies, and bits of content for solo players. But if you want progression, there is nothing really for the solo player, itll push you toward group content.
    • Like x 1
  2. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Good bump! Solo play is key to dcuo and an important part of the game overall. We need more solo content than less (loved having elite solos in StU). Very disturbing watching people argue for fewer choices for players and force them to play how they see fit. Not helpful.
    • Like x 11
  3. the solowing Steadfast Player

4. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Well said!
    • Like x 3
  5. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Yep, the different sizes of content really gives player choice in DCUO-- something we can always use more of :)
    • Like x 6
  6. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Personally, I play solo more than group. Yes, I'll hit lfg or Omni to get things done, but I don't like drama, at all: and it seems like the more people you gotta interact with, the less you want to interact lol.

My league, for example, has 8 characters in it, owned by 3 people lol.

I would enjoy seeing more solo friendly content.
    • Like x 7
  7. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Good point. This is a conversation worth having. More choice is always better in MMOs and there's really no need to try to force players into narrow modes of play nor is there any reason to be afraid to have this conversation.
    • Like x 4
  8. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

LOL, yeah there's necroing a thread then there's this. LOL This thread is Isis in the Gotham U mission but I digress. What I do like is they did stat clamp the older content but not to the point that you feel like a total noob doing it. It's still pretty easy to get through you're just not going to fly through it in a matter of a couple of minutes. Hell, today my wife and I ran the old Flash duo and I got ahead of myself and got mobbed by reapers and we wiped. LOL. The problem, still, is getting people to do the older content. Doing omnibus I just roll the dice on the alerts and raids and have gotten into Area 51 or Moonbase but queing up for, say, Kahndaq, good luck. My wife needs those instances for the feats but it's futile trying to que up for them or even LFG.

Now, I've mentioned on these boards many times that the only other MMO I play is Age of Conan. In that game, about 90% of it is solo and up to a certain point(I want to say level 80) it's a blast. Now here, the devs at least put forth some effort to help those who don't belong to uber leagues but the newer content is damned near impossible to complete unless you have a good league. Pugging for tier 5 or 6 raids, unless you get lucky you're going to be pissing in the wind for hours. I don't know what the solution is but some love needs to be given to we players who don't eat, sleep, and crap gaming.
    • Like x 1
  9. the solowing Steadfast Player

Should the solo player be able to complete with the group player?
  10. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Lol I know that feeling. There's something particularly satisfying about knocking out solo content. Alerts and raids can be great but I would love to see a solo in every episode going forward.
    • Like x 5
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Nope
    IMO gotta play the content if u want the reward.

That said, i think a solo or 2 should be a staple in every single episode. I cant fathom a good reason not to have them
    • Like x 4
  12. the solowing Steadfast Player

Dont get me wrong, i have no issue with solo players having solo content, I just dont want a game genre ive come to love, slowly die out to become a solo game with other people around.

What i don't agree with is players trying to move group aspects of the game more to solo aspects.
    • Like x 2
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Credit where credit is due, your Isis comparison flat out beats my summoning comment. Solid points to you on that one. :D

My own MMO background before DCUO was Star Wars Galaxies and Champions Online. SWG was always more of a sandbox game even after the NGE, so a lot of the stuff in the game could and usually was handled better solo. Plus with not much in the way of directed content in the game until later (expansions, post-NGE leveling path, themeparks expanded on) players were usually left to find their own fun. Meanwhile CO was very heavy on the story missions driving you along the path towards max level when I played, and since so much of it was leveling it was stuff you did alone. I know there were a few group missions along the way, but there was never a feeling of needing to run them. So it's fair to say that a lot of my MMO experiences are solo focused, simply because of the games I played.

DCUO was the first one I played where group missions (I'm including duos in that) had a greater presence in the game. And while that was a bit of a culture shock for me, I still found that going it alone could be done, but I knew it was going to be the longer path going in.

Setting aside the group content/walk-ins discussions, I think it's a tricky path to making a viable solo path in this game. The raid/alert crowd is a solid presence here so they can't be disregarded, but neither can those who prefer solo stuff as their money is just as good as the raid crowd's money. There's also the challenge of finding the right kind and amount of solo missions that can provided a decent path for the solo players while not detracting from the raid crowd. An engaging piece of solo content with a good Mark payout would be awesome, but if the payout is TOO good everyone will be more likely to just spam that mission over and over and over and leave the group content alone (the whole "path of least resistance" bit).

I'll never say no to more solo content, and I welcome the idea of things like the bounties in Wonderverse (relatively easy to participate and get credit for without having to search for a group) that can work well for those who prefer solo stuff. But because the group content aspect has been a heavier part of the game right from the start, finding the right balance between the two groups is not going to be easy.
    • Like x 4
  14. Star King Active Player

The reason I brought this post up was not to say I wanted more or less solo content. What I was getting at is the fact that at least half the lore, in my opinion, is locked away behind group content. I can't enjoy and experience those missions the way they were intended because of the way players tend to just speed through group content. My other problem is that if I or someone else in the group gets a little confused at times, we get called idiots or whatever. This is why I prefer doing things solo, to avoid having to deal with people and be able to enjoy playing the game, it is just a shame that half the lore is locked away behind the group content wall. Believe me, I would love to have a group of real friends to be able to do the group content with, but I don't, which is why I'm forced to queue up to do the group content with people who sometimes could care less about you.
    • Like x 5
  15. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone. -- Do not quote forum violations.
    So all of my posts that I took the time to thoughtfully write out this morning have been deleted by a mod? Nothing I wrote was attacking anyone or off-topic.

Start what up again? That last thread was closed because of a few of the pro-clamped players (you know who you are) couldn't respond with articulate replies when asked to do so and started to resort to name calling and personal attacks. It had nothing to do with the actual topic of the stat clamp. But hey, people gonna believe whatever they selectively want to I guess.

Like I've mentioned enough times already, having an optional stat clamp hurts no one. And seeing if it was an option even though older content isn't new it would be new to someone who was gated to doing them by the clamp.

These false and baseless arguments against the option of opting in or out of a stat clamp are getting as tiresome as people who still believe that covid is fake news and nothing but a conspiracy. Give me a damn break and try to see things from someone else's.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for proving my point. Telling someone to shut up isn't any different than attacking them personally in my opinion. And it's posts like yours that force threads to be locked. Be more civil, ok? Don't get so bent out of shape just because you can't handle someone else's view on something you don't agree with. It's ok to be different and see things differently and that doesn't mean that someone is wrong.

Maybe people enjoy the tank and healer role more than dps? Maybe it's for RP purposes?

So many people who play this game approach it differently on so many levels. But for you to just assume that people play this game according to your narrative, well, that's just wrong. The game should be accessible to everyone who creates a character regardless of where they're at in their character's development and progress.

Clearly the solo aspect is important. Look at the episode 42 for example. As long as a toon is level 30, a player can participate in the daily LoD content solo. They can even take on the bounties too all alone if they choose as opposed to be forced into a group. Granted, they can't access the duo and anything beyond that but they can access the content and that's more than what most other MMOs would do with a near brand new character.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

And this is exactly why many players are asking for an optional stat clamp in content to give you the choice to enter primarily older content that many players hardly do anymore alone or with a friend or however you want to do it.

The issue is, those opposed to opting out of the stat clamp feel that in letting people do so they will reap rewards they didn't really earn and play this game wrongly by not paying attention to game mechanics and learning their role in a group setting. Though there is some small truth to this, these two points are the best the pro-clamp players can come up with and many of the pro-optional clamp players have responded with plenty of thoughtful and creative solutions. Yet, people just want to clamp down on the pro-clamp position by sticking their fingers in their ears (or eyes I guess), ignoring the coherent and well-written comments and keep spouting the same thing over and over again and refusing to see things from the other perspective.

With the way the stat clamp currently is in place, players who want to solo will only have access to a portion of the game due to most of the content that's not being played is being gated by the stat clamp. All that many players want is a choice to opt out so we can enjoy the content made available to us our way, even if it happens to be solo-based. Where is the harm in that? Take away the source marks, take away loot drops, whatever. Just let me decide for myself, a player who pays a monthly sub btw, to make that decision alone; not the devs and certainly not other players who do nothing to develop my character or my enjoyment in how I approach and play this game.
    • Like x 3
  16. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

more solo content = more content period, so better.

also more solo content = more solo content, said the guy who wrote an FAQ about hunting Open World Bounties by yourself.

Both from the standpoint of lore promulgation and raw playability, it's a good idea.
    • Like x 5
  17. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I thought PS3 had been discontinued and was no longer supported by the game. I know a few of my league mates had to quit playing DCUO for a while until they could get a PS4 back when that happened.

As far as monetizing, if the solo missions proposed here on the Forum and the open world content would reward the current class of currency that I could use towards buying gear, etc., I would buy replays for that if the cost of the reset was reasonable.

Having a little side quest given by an NPC in open world to help them with this or find that would be entertaining to do too. It could be story line agnostic or tie right in, how ever the devs want to pursue it.

I like the idea of having just a little solo / simple open world quest to do, it might be fun.
    • Like x 2
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

This was a thread resurrected from 2016, so that explains why PS3 talk was still active in the thread.
    • Like x 2
  19. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

OH…. Didn’t know that was possible. Thanks :)
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's a whole different barrel of fish, though.

There are some rewards locked behind Investigations and Briefings in group content that I'd either love to have or just would like to finish it (it can REALLY bug me to leave things unfinished sometimes LOL). And it's especially frustrating because in a lot of the leveling content you can get lore from quest lines you might not have because the Investigations and Briefings are in the open world near where those missions are run. So having that cut off and tucked away behind group content can be jarring.

But at the same time I can see why they tucked it away. It's an extra added incentive to get players to run that content. It doesn't help that many may have run that content in the past and already gotten that lore, and they'll automatically think the group will already have that as well if they're running the content.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of that lore seeded back into the solo areas of content releases, but it takes away an incentive for people to go into the content in the first place. There's also the detail that in some cases (Halls of Power 1 in particular) they don't have many (if any) solo content areas to work with.