Pss DCUO!... Batman Beyond.... exists?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ergotth, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Ergotth Committed Player

I mean.... come on Daybreak! It happened, it was awesome, everybody loved it, so why not stop writting episodes that go nowhere, open plotholes or misuse characters with much bigger arcs in the comics... and give us some Batman Beyond content? We went to entire different realities, a short timetravel to a couple decades later ain't that difficult.

(I was also lowkey surprised the character Blight wasn't references when the power Atomic dropped into the game, and I would literaly be willing to PAY the hypothetical voice actor of his non-existant NPC to say the line "do you have any idea how little that narrow things down?")
    • Like x 1
  2. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s not as simple as them writing/making a dlc for specific characters. They need permission and approval to use them. Don’t get me wrong. I do wish the story in the game was better too. But I can’t fully blame the devs for that.
    • Like x 1
  3. Ergotth Committed Player

WHile I do agree its not easy to get permission to do.... it is their fault when the story is bad. I mean, if they had permission to write the Ultraviolet lanterns, its their fault it was just a lame duo instead of actualy expanding on its lore. Its like someone giving you the key to a car and telling you to go ANYWHERE YOU WANT, and the first thing you do is hit a tree just three blocks away!
    • Like x 1
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

You just hit the tree yourself. They're not allowed to expand the lore. They can only do stuff that's strictly canon. This is one of the main reasons it took so long to get Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman stand-alone emblems. Because you can put them on practically any piece of gear which would give their character a non-standard appearance.

Seriously, this is probably the best description of what companies have to go through when they license characters.

• Like x 2
  5. Eve YouTuber

I would love to see an episode in Future Gotham around Batman Beyond. Batwoman beyond would be an amazing addition too as she appeared in comics recently. They are probably going to finish wrapping up the Metal storyline before moving on to something new. I would also love a new Flash or Green Arrow centric episode.
    • Like x 1
  6. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Episodes that go no where? Do you even know the story? Dark Knights Metal storyline turned the tide between Marvel and DC. Dark Multiverse, Batman Who Laughs, Perpetua and Monitors are a huge storyline. You consider a mini-reboot to the DC Universe less than an IronMan Batman? Damien wiped the floor with Terry, now a Damien Wayne storyline would be better.
    • Like x 1
  7. Trykz Dedicated Player

I have about 4 “Grayson”s on my friends list that would $hit themselves over a night wing centric dlc lmao
  8. Monkeyboy Committed Player

Check it out.
  9. BumblingB I got better.

Blight wasn't the first atomic character... Far from it.

Batman Beyond is not owned by the comic book side of DC. They had to license it to make a comic book of it recently. Yes, that is weird, but the cartoon is where it started.

Daybreak has access to all the comic book characters and can produce comic book stories (like the Doomed one) as long as they run it by DC first to make sure they don't step on any toes. Since Terry has to be licensed, we were able to get the style, not the actual character. It's complicated, it's silly, but it's true.

Could we eventually get an episode dedicated to Batman Beyond lore? Sure, but I will think there are other less complicated stories to tell that don't cost them another licensing first.
    • Like x 2
  10. Ergotth Committed Player

I'm not saying expand the lore themselves, but EXPLORE whats already in it. They didn't even scratch the surface of UV Lanterns and the whole shebang was pretty much Sinestro with a recolor.
  11. Ergotth Committed Player

Episodes that go nowhere IN THE GAME. Metal was awesome in both comics AND DCUO, but then we have stinkers like BoP that have nothing to do with the Birds of Prey aside from being shoved in as an afterthough. And don't get me started on Flashpoint... Daybreak had ONE JOB!
  12. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

It was made by Warner Brothers Animation, not DC Comics. DCUO doesn't hold the rights, obviously, to television shows or movies or non-comics. It only licenses the rights to DC Comics. So far as I know.

What you want isn't relevant unless you can pony up however many hundreds of thousands of dollars or more it would take to buy the relevant rights, even assuming that they are available.
  13. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Wow, passing a bill through Congress, and contract law between two private parties, have literally nothing whatsoever in common in either content or process.

One is creating law. The other is abiding by law. This is no different from saying that buying a house is just like making a law. Contract law exists.
  14. Ergotth Committed Player

I think his point is that Daybreak's process of getting a character or lore approved for DCUO is pretty much like passing a law through congress, if you rerplace the congress with DC's board of directors and such.

ALso, Batman Beyond was already put in the comics too, so its officialy DC Property.[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  15. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

That's not how things work, just because a character is in the comics (even having its own title comic) does not mean DC has ownership of it.

DC has been making BB comics off and on for a while, but DC was only licensing him from WB. Now I do believe I've heard that DC has finally gotten the full comic books rights but that doesn't change anything for DCUO.

The contract between DC and DI was for DC created and owned characters at the time of the original contracts back when the company was called SOE. Of course, there is an allowance for any future new character creations, but BB wouldn't be included in that. In order to add BB, it would require a separate contract and a ton of money, which was once stated as too much of a hassle.

Fun fact, this exact ownership issue was also with Harley Quinn, to which she may have not been in DCUO. It was just good timing that shortly before contract talks with SOE began, DC got her comic ownership finalized and thus she was available.
  16. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

But it isn't remotely in any way similar, unless we're either at third grade (American schools) level of understanding of either set of mechanisms or we believe "everything complicated is the same."

Sorry, but the comment is just wildly ignorant. Particle physics and the tax code are both very complicated, but that doesn't make them similar. Ditto, oh, palentology and flying the space shuttle.

There are an infinite number of complexities in the universe, but that doesn't make any of them necessarily similar to each other. Requesting permission to, or negotiating to, use a character under a license in some form of fiction, and passing laws in the U.S. Congress just aren't remotely the same in any significant way. The only commonality is that both involve lawyers. Which, given the vast number of ways we all interact with laws, and the number of laws, is a pretty meaningless commonality. Otherwise law school would take two weeks, not four or more years.
  17. Controller Devoted Player

That Justice League Unlimited Two-Part episode was EPIC -"The once and future thing PTs I and II"

[IMG]

Man if they could do a DLC along the same arc as that episode?

You had a SLEW of characters in those episodes....Chronos, Jonah Hex, Bat Lash, Future Static, Old Man Bats, War Hawk, Batman Beyond AND his arch-foes......
    • Like x 3
  18. Atrocuis_ Well-Known Player

Yeah Definetely It I Is One Of My Favorite Episodes in
    Justice League Unlimited
    • Like x 1
  19. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Great episode, but, again, not a DC comic. DCUO doesn't have rights to television or movie characters created by corporations that aren't DC Comics, absent specific negotiations.
    • Like x 2
  20. Ergotth Committed Player

Isn't this a little too overcomplicated? I mean, the universe of DC with Batman, Superman, Joker and the whole shebang is property of DC, so, by all means, DC should have the rights, or at least an easy way towards an ownership contract, with characters created within this universe as protagonists of their own story... in this universe... owned and created by DC.
    By all means its like saying WB can just tell J. K. Rowling she is not allowed to write any book with original characters from Fantastic Beasts because she didn't write it in her original HP books first. It just makes no sense! The title is literaly HALF-OWNED by DC, BATMAN Beyond. While nobody can claim ownership of a word in the dictionary, the former is clearly property of DC for decades.

Also, on official records, Batman Beyond was produced by Warner Brothers Television Animation AND DC Comics. So, yea, the big D and C officialy produced this show alongside WB.