Artifact Glitch

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Stag, Dec 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I'm not thinking of that use case, though. I'm thinking of someone who barely has anything in the inventory because that person is new or only interested in playing normally. You guys keep thinking in terms of those who intentionally exploited. You have to think about players who have lower experience, have far fewer items than those of us that have played a long time, etc.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

No Seth, peoples marks were coming up in their fortification list.

You'd have to have scrolled for tonnes of stuff and the mere fact those sorts of things were even in the list would have immediately signaled to the player something was wrong.

You're actually suggesting people are way more stupid than they really are.

A genuine new person who say didn't have any or many marks probably doesn't even have much Nth Metal or even exobytes, they simply lack the resources and where-with-all to even undertake the exploit in a manner that would ever border on egregious.

This is the problem I have with your position. I think it's perfectly viable someones hit a flag in the system (although I somewhat still doubt it) and got banned when they didn't even do it at all, but I think its incredibly, incredibly unlikely any new players here (as even Mepps confirmed) are just innocently banned.

You're effectively attempting to create a unicorn out of a horse by taping a horn on its head - it just doesn't exist.
    • Like x 9
  3. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

You're misinterpreting my stance here. My stance is that there are people who may have had no currency, no items in their inventory but exobytes, and only 1-2 items that show up with 0XP on that list. I'm saying that those people may have inadvertently used the system a few times in a way it was not intended. I'm not saying they did enough to get suspended. I'm saying that unintentional use on a small scale without knowing could happen. Period. Nothing malicious, nothing intentional, nothing that would set off flags.

The issue I have is that some posters here are lumping those players in the same category as anyone who exploited because there's no way it was unintentional for them to use the system that way. That's what I'm arguing against. I'm not arguing what you think I am.
  4. Proxystar #Perception

Because those players don't exist, there's no end game player out there that don't have a raft of marks in game of various types.

That's the unicorn you're creating that I'm referring to.

A new player who lacks marks, isn't the type of player who has millions of experience in exobytes who then also suddenly decided to smash it in to every artifact they could find in an egregious way (bearing in the mind the irony, they were probably buying seals as well)

The new players you speak of, have literally no idea what they're doing and with that in mind also probably have no idea what the fortification system even is in order to have the level of innocence you proclaim ;)
    • Like x 5
  5. zNot Loyal Player

Not sure if i get ur point mepps has clearly said only the most severe ones were banned the ones who did once or twice by mistake werent so whats ur point? Are you Trying to defend people who did this (on purpose) xx amount of times?
    • Like x 3
  6. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I have never claimed the players I referred to were end game players. I have several alts that have very little in their inventory, but I fortify with salvaged gear all the time for their augments. A returning player could be in that situation with a main character. A fairly new player could be in that situation with a main character too.

It's easy to get higher CR. It takes very little time to get into the 200-250 range just by playing a few times a week, and new players don't amass much in the way of currency or other items if they're also buying gear or styles along the way. They don't know they don't need to buy anything to get higher and drops will get them there just as fast, so they tend to spend marks more. Or maybe they just want the styles.

Point being, a player could be in the 200-250 range without all the clutter you see in the link you gave. Exobytes at that range provide high enough XP I believe to get someone an artifact in the 100-150 range just by playing for a day or two if a player is feeding exobytes into artifacts not knowing they shouldn't. I doubt that would flag the egregious behavior threshold while still going against the, "No one could have unintentionally done what people are suggesting." I believe it's entirely possible for a newer player to have done so; that's all I'm arguing.
    • Like x 1
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Absolutely not!
  8. Proxystar #Perception

They also don't have any of the other stuff needed to egregiously abuse this glitch...They aren't the players banned, even Mepps said this to you, so why are you still worried like these 800 players or even future, yet to be banned players are innocent newbies?

Your fears are entirely unrealized and with that being the case, why exactly do we need to defend those that have been banned?
    • Like x 3
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I think it's time to fold.
    • Like x 5
  10. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Why are people convinced that I'm arguing about the suspended players here? I'm arguing against the misconception that "no one" could have accidentally fortified in any way due to this bug because they'd have to be stupid not to notice. That's blatantly false because someone with a nearly empty inventory and no currency may not even notice that the system is any different minus the items that actually grant XP that shouldn't being in the inventory.

This has nothing to do with the exploiters other than people saying that anyone who did this exploited on purpose, even at a very minimal level of one or two times. I'm arguing with those posters who believe this is "black and white" with no gray area, no chance of someone doing this by accident at all. The people who believe everyone who even did it once should be banned. That's what has my hackles up.
  11. Trykz Dedicated Player

I don’t see anyone arguing it couldn’t have been done on accident.
    I said I did it on accident right off the bat.
    The push back you’re getting comes from the similarities between your point and the posters taking the think of the children defense.
    I don’t see anyone saying it was impossible to do on accident, they are saying it was I
    Impossible to EXPLOIT on accident. There is obviously some Grey area considering Mepps said further investigation was needed.
    • Like x 4
  12. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

800 is a unimaginable number. To think 800 people did it in the 2 or 3, even a week that the lil problem was live is beyond my imagination. How would 800 people even find out about such thing. We all know people don’t advertise glitches in trade chat, if that were the case i would have the black neon n not still be tryna open these nonsense time capsules
  13. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I had someone this morning tell me it was impossible to do by accident, it's super obvious, and it's essentially laughable to think anyone could have done what you did. That's what I've been trying to argue against, and somehow I got sucked into people thinking I'm defending those who were suspended. The only suspensions I have seen that may have been unearned were 2-3 people who said they got one artifact to 200 and deleted that artifact but ended up suspended.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think you're arguing a moot point because the people you're talking about aren't banned currently and likely never will be (if they are banned in the absolute fringe realms of possible right now, then they'll likely be freed once further investigation is undertaken).

Unfortunately despite the fact I appreciate what you're saying there are those amongst the guilty group who would use your point for less than genuine means in an attempt to try and "lawyer" their way out of their own consequences, as Trykz said some will use the "...but think about the innocent newbies" to try and rationalise and justify their own actions and subsequent guilt.
    • Like x 2
  15. Proxystar #Perception

It's not really when you consider it's obviously across all servers and platforms and actually you'd be surprised at how quickly these things can spread through community groups and actually even in game, which is even more reason to point out that this was quite obviously an exploit.
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It wasn't 800 people, it was 800 accounts. People were making dummy accounts and attempting to sell those accounts with maxed artifacts/allies/augs for real money. You also have to factor in there's 5 separate DCUO servers, those 800 accounts are probably not all from the same server.
    • Like x 11
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

A similar bug was reported once on the test server. The exploit was not. It also happened twice internally in the past 6 months.

We attempted to track it down. We couldn't. It was super rare not on a live server (with people trying to make it happen). This rationale isn't going to fly.
    • Like x 18
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Good grief, charlie bown.
    • Like x 26
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We could do whatever we want. We're going to do what we think it appropriate, and we're going to try to waste as little CS, platform, db, engineering, and design as we possibly can. Because this kind of thing can eat up weeks, and we don't have weeks to spare.
    • Like x 20
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.