Artifact Glitch

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Stag, Dec 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JConstantin3 New Player

If they can take away all artifacts and allies so that cheaters have to redo them properly then a suspension might be okay. If they cant do that, perma ban is the only way to go.

Why would anyone play the game honestly if cheating is the path of least resistance and the easiest way to get ahead, you cheat, dont play for 21 days and then come back with full artifacts and allies while someone else got a quarter of an artifact done in that time playing honestly. It will just create more problems in the future by creating a bigger culture of cheaters, the next exploit everyone will do it.

At least this time there were some who didnt. And logging in I see loads of people. So people either got banned on their alt accounts, or there were plenty of people who didnt cheat.
    • Like x 1
  2. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

Accounts are being banned, not people. Keeping this in mind, then hell yeah, wipe the accounts. If one of those filthy cheats wants back, let them start at square one.
    • Like x 1
  3. Mr.W Committed Player

Fair point, & yes coding takes time.

I guess I don't view it as a "punishment" b/c they do usually reward the community for their patience & continued support once its up with free gifts. That can also include marks players would've earn during the down time so we don't loose much if anything from a said down time.
  4. L T Devoted Player

There's an awful lot of "new player" accounts in this thread.

Friendly reminder to not feed the trolls.
    • Like x 4
  5. Pop a Trinket dey sweatin Dedicated Player

Again, up for interpretation.

Your definition of outstandingly bad may not be someone else's. Either way, it doesn't matter what you or I think "egregious' is. The devs set their parameters and suspended the accounts.

Regarding people saying what someone should or shouldn't have noticed I think you all are very out of touch.

I've played this game off and on since about 2012. I remember when I first started playing I didn't know the difference between pvp gear and PvE gear. Had no idea what POT was. Didn't know what a rotation was. Nothing.

I eventually learned all that stuff but it took time.

I take long breaks from this game all the time. When I come back Im often learning new things that I have no idea about. I'm like a noob all over again.

To someone that plays this game often and visits the forums regularly when something is put of place it may be obvious. For me and lots of other people we don't know up from down.

Folks here are saying people should've known they shouldn't do it but yet there's people in end game content with mismatch gear in raids. There's people that don't know basic mechanics. Don't know how to put a rotation together.

There's no way the devs can know who simply was not aware and were just blindly doing this thinking it was intended. But again, they've suspended/ banned based on an algorithm for what they deemed to have been "egregious'".

As far as seeing it in chat....What? Unless it's in red I don't pay attention to that stuff. When I do play I very rarely pay attention to all that crap that's going on.

What should have happened if they had an ongoing issue that they couldn't fix or couldn't disable was to continuously blast it as an alert and to warn people not to use the fortify system. Like when the world is shutting down. That way it would have been very hard to miss.

I can almost guarantee that would've stopped a lot of folks from doing it and if they still did well then you could say they were properly warned.

That didn't happen though.

This is like going to a new area and seeing a speed limit sign on the highway that says one speed but then getting pulled over and the officer saying the city messed up but you should've known it was a mistake and not intended. How? I'm not from here. I'm just passing through and saw what was posted.
    • Like x 3
  6. Dene Devoted Player

No shame/hate from me and genuinely sorry you got caught in the net.. if that's any help.. I'm sure they have the logs/records to show what you say and the 21 days (in your case) will be the only punishment - we learn from our mistakes etc

for those that were more blatant and was not an "oops" then i hope we never see them again
    • Like x 3
  7. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

I wanted to respond to this bit, too. I spend 90% of my time in my base or in the Omnibus/queued instances. I spend maybe 10% of my time in open world or the headquarters. When I'm in open world or the headquarters, I rarely read chat when I'm in those areas because the majority of it is childish and not worth reading. I also mostly ignore LFG and Trade unless I'm actively looking to join a group or trade items.

I've been playing every day the past week, and I did not see any of this mentioned in chat.
    • Like x 2
  8. Pop a Trinket dey sweatin Dedicated Player

Yeah I played a couple of days this past week and had no idea about this stuff until yesterday.

Like I said, I think people are out of touch based on their own experience thinking everyone should've known.

I've been a hardcore player of this game at times and knew every little change and detail that was going on and I've also been new or returning and didn't know up from down.

Whether folks want to believe it or not, everyone was not aware this was not intended no matter how obvious it was to them or how "egregious'" they were.
    • Like x 3
  9. FlexVibrant Well-Known Player

I wonder which account that got banned spent the most money on their character.

Brutal L for them.

massive W for the community. Time to teach new players elite content. Community will evolve and move on.
    • Like x 1
  10. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

I saw some post about it in LFG chat but for some reason this week specifically I have been ignoring LFG because.. Well it has been a crazy week that started as a regular argument that devolved into a religious argument which made me just log out when people started bashing someone's religion. Long story short LFG went off the rails this week.
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

You see Snow Owl, you're actually someone I can respect because you've come and been honest and upfront about what you did and you're not clamoring to make excuses (unlike some others up in this thread and on other social media)

If there were ever a time I'd give a person a second chance it would be someone like you, whose shown at least an ounce of humility and genuineness so good on you for that, at least you seem apologetic, unlike some of the others in here that keep playing the "oh but I'm new" and "oh but why didn't you shut the game down to stop me stealing" cards.
    • Like x 4
  12. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

Just because you disagree with the arguments doesn't make them less valid. Many veteran players tend to forget what it is like to be new to the game. I see similar mindsets in the real world in companies. They wonder why new hires are struggling with the work that they find to be habit after so many years on the job. The world could use more empathy towards others.
    • Like x 1
  13. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'd rather play than be rewarded with something I don't need or can't use.
    • Like x 1
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

For the folks worried about the innocent, I did it by accident, I only did it a few times crowd getting suspended - they were not. The accounts suspended right now are a fraction of the people who used the exploit. The total number of people who used the exploit is a miniscule fraction of the players that logged in over the last week.

Most people did not exploit the bug. Most people who came across it used it a couple times, likely with curiosity or mistake, and then stopped. Some people used it quite a bit. Some people used it quite A LOT.

We can see everything you did - in regard to what happened in the fortification systems and also surrounding behaviors about getting the bug to show up for you. In this first pass, we erred on the side of caution and only banned the most. egregious. offenders.

There is no accurate narrative where johnny-day-one stumbled into the exploit and got suspended. Now, that said, there will be further investigation next year before these suspensions get converted into permanent bans.
    • Like x 28
  15. Proxystar #Perception

Sorry I don't agree with you, this glitch was so obviously a glitch (because it essentially allowed you to feed everything, including your marks it would seem) that the only people that partook in it 'egregiously' were idiots, new or otherwise, they knew what they were doing was not intended.

Someone who was so new to be teetering on the side of being "inept" would be far from leveling up augments and artifacts or having the resources or ability to do this on any level that could be considered egregious.

No these 800 people banned walked in to the shop, stole all the candy, came back to the shop after it was re-stocked, stole the candy again and then tried to sell the whole store on E-bay afterwards.

What you're trying to do is portray what is likely an incredible outlier within this group as more "normal" in an attempt de-stigmatize the cheaters and make people feel sympathetic.

The point I made with Snowy Owl is that he was apologetic, which is exactly the opposite of what you're attempting.

If there are any "innocent" people at all in this group I'm sure they're a small amount and can just submit the ticket to outlay their case, but to suggest any sum of people in this group are "new innocent lambs, just misunderstood" is a little laughable.

You're basically suggesting that Daybreak (Dimensional Inks) data is so dirty they can't distinguish between innocent and guilty, that entire prospect is quite frankly laughable.

Edit - See Mepps' post above mine as well if you were worried.
    • Like x 4
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Also, we take speed hacking very seriously and encourage anyone who sees a cheater to email cheater@dcuniverseonline.com. We ban dozens of accounts every week.

The PROBLEM with speed hacking is that it is a constant arms race to prevent, and we are a free to play game where people can create a new account to continue their idiocy without much friction.

The PROBLEM with economy exploits is that the cash moves around and there isn't a way to get it back without hurting everyone.

The good part about this exploit is that it is specific to your account, stays on your account, and is obvious to see.
    • Like x 19
  17. SethZoulMonEl 10000 Post Club

See, but it actually sounds like you do agree with me to an extent. I was concerned for people who maybe got an artifact up to 100 or 120 this route. I was not concerned about people who got to 200 or got multiple to 200 because that's egregious and a deserved suspension or ban. I personally think anyone who reached 200 once may be forgivable too, but after the suspension. It's the people who did so over and over again that I'd see as likely to get permanently banned.

I think Mepps's post should alleviate some if not all of those concerns.

And to clarify a bit further, I would hope that their system for tracking all this would notice if someone was just playing normally and happening to occasionally fortify their artifacts with what they got through normal play versus a player who was going out of their way to get more resources than normal and feed that into the system. The latter would be obvious exploiting.
    • Like x 1
  18. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

The only thing that would make all this jucier is if we could name names.

and leagues.

:p
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

I agree that there might be a "few" people caught up in this that might be worth showing some 'mercy' to or might have 'somehow' done something to false flag that account, but I don't share your genuine concern for it because the number is likely to be so small they'll easily be sorted out in due course.

If they're innocent they probably have nothing to worry about, other than the inconvenience of being suspended, but like I say, given the small number involved, it doesn't worry me one bit.
    • Like x 2
  20. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

Doesn't this mean though, that you could just ban for X amount of time, revert all ill-gotten arts and add a strike if first offence? If it is account specific and everything is observed.

I think a few of us in this thread don't see everyone that used this exploit as equally malicious
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.