Dev Discussion Episode 42: The One Who Waits (Alert)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by TLantern, Dec 9, 2021.

1. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Saw this happen last night. I noticed that I had to press the ability twice before I got credit (it even did the emote twice).
    • Like x 2
  2. wowlock New Player

For Batman Who Laughs fight. A bit too much Hp.
    The Toxin seem to be overtuned as dot damage. You cannot predict if it is gonna spawn under you so it is RNG. And it hits 47k-48k per tick even if you just touched it once and got away. While the actual big damage ability hits 96k that you can survive. So the toxin is actually hits 2 to 3 times more than the big ability you should get the toxin for.
    And if you don't have a healer, thats it, you just die. Not to mention when you are trying to revive the downed player, sometimes the toxin infects you invisibly. I mean there were no toxins around but out of no where, we got that 47k ticks and died.
    Group had to disband and had to redo it with a healer just to survive it.
    And this is on Normal btw, not Elite. I really think the Toxin damage is overtuned. It makes no sense it hits that high THAT fast. You cannot survive it without a healer since the 'Block to Heal' when you have no healer is also overwhelmed by that damage.
    At this point, the tactic is just hope the toxin doesn't spawn under you and just take the big hit and pray to survive while the other adds that do damage won't spawn at the same time. Almost undoable in a pug without healers.
    • Like x 1
  3. Chewsy Well-Known Player

Some feedback from the Normal alert:

First boss: Feels a little too easy. The difficulty isn't really in-line with the rest of the alert. An increase in enemy damage would help I think.
    Second boss: Overall really fun, but there are some problems/bugs I had.
    1) Sometimes it seemed like the toxin clouds weren't rendering, and I would be taking damage from nothing and have no idea where to go to get out of the clouds (PC).
    2) The DOT placed on you caused by the clouds persists after you are downed and will kill you again as soon as you get back up. This seems unintentional and unfair.
    3) One time when my group was dying, we were all unable to see the rally timer icon above downed teammates. It's unclear to me if it was just a bug with the icons or if we weren't able to res people at all.
    Third boss: Seems okay. Elite is way, way, way harder than normal though (due to the bombs flying everywhere sometimes the damage feels unavoidable).
  4. Aetrius Well-Known Player

Normal Alert

First boss is fine.

Second boss

1- BWL has way too many HP for a normal alert. It felt like we were pounding on a raid boss for the amount of time we were in there, and that's with good burn. Running this with a random queue and underperforming DPS is painful.

2- I can confirm the poison clouds not rendering bug. We had it happen last night. You could see the effect on yourself after you were exposed, but the clouds themselves were invisible.

3 - The poison clouds (and BWL's special attack) do too much damage for reg. As someone else said, it's far safer to just take the hit from BWL's attack than to actually do the poison cloud mechanic as intended. Both do more damage than the role-less buff can safely handle, if you're not at full health when BWL's special attack goes off you will die, and the ticks on the poison cloud do considerably more damage than the role-less buff heals even when blocking.

Third Boss

1- I have also experienced the bug where players take damage during the Mxy says game despite pressing the correct key.
    • Like x 4
  5. Smashbang Wallop Well-Known Player

I have found repeatedly pressing the correct key (but not holding it down) counters this, you can stop pressing when the countdown dial is around 50% and you'll take no damage.
  6. CandySlinger Active Player

On my end it’s only been triggering inputs within the last 33% of the timer, so anything answered prior times out.
  7. TLantern Developer

His health was set too high, it's been reduced.
    • Like x 5
  8. TLantern Developer

Bouncy ball damage has been fixed, they could hit you twice in under a second. That has been fixed.

And about the gift boxes, weapon attacks work best no matter how high your precision is. I know it shows damage numbers when you attack, but it actually is tracking number of hits on the back end. It will show damage numbers based on percentage of hits remaining, so for example if I increased the hit number the weapon attack values will get smaller as a result.

In Normal it takes 4 weapon hits to destroy a present and in Elite it takes 7. Might based attacks vary, but in general they're slower and things like channels and DoT attacks typically only count once as a hit. My strategy when playing is to spam my ranged weapon attack even though my Power is Might based.
    • Like x 5
  9. Yaiba Committed Player

Normal version:
    . Running this alert without healer, is it intended that if we follow the mechanic in the 2nd fight, we will get wiped because the damage over time from poison is too high? His compound attack doesn't oneshot anyone but the poison....
    . Might powers (combo based like rage/light) can break the gift boxes pretty fast, I guess it follows the same rule as those in vault :p
    • Like x 1
  10. Lord Squall New Player

what he said. In all my runs with this on reg alert, if there is no healer (at least with decent arts, gear) it is an auto-fail when you fight BWL. There is just so much mechanics going on especially when your group is lucky enough that it all happens the same time and it is too hard to notice the 'tells' to have the correct timing. He summons the pesky Metal Knights who targets each member that throws them around or kill them outright, tank can't pull them because they are just summons (like plastic man in ep41 duo) or gets thrown away himself/herself on the far end of the room + adds + he pulls all of you with the chain + triggers the special attack. and yeah, the poison mists. perhaps this is meant for an 8-man raid ?
    • Like x 3
  11. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Is this change only for normal version? Related to my previous feedback above, it looks like Batman Who Laughs has a bit high health in elite version too.
  12. KlarkKent Well-Known Player

Bug:

Volatile Toxin (red gas on the ground) on Batman Who Laughs boss fight is named Environment.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  13. TLantern Developer

Yes, his health was reduced in Elite as well. This fix will have patch notes saying as much.
    • Like x 2
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I actually like how high his health is considering he's the only actual boss in the whole alert.
    • Like x 1
  15. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

I don’t get the mechanics for the only boss fight. The red spots pop up and they kill you via big dots, boss has a big attack that does lots of damage, and yet standing in the red spots is to prevent the boss damage while getting damaged by the red spots that can kill us? Did I miss something??

I’d say just use a shield, block, and kick butt. The mechanics don’t make sense and actually kill you instead.
  16. Miss Adora Loyal Player

lol couldn't beat the new alert regular, couldn't pass The Batman who laughs. The last few days no problem, then something happen today, not only our gear was nerfed and cr reduced, it seems like everything else was nerfed. There was time couldn't heal the other players, or something was just killing us and couldn't see what.
  17. MchaelAceHunter Well-Known Player

Love the alert but for someone who don't have great eyesight I can never tell what emote goes to what word
  18. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

So the prompt says to touch the toxin when the compound is being made. I do that and roll out and die almost immediately anyway.

Working as intended?
  19. SERPENTXOFXGOD Well-Known Player

It's not bad. But is there anyway to bring back the little comic book strips you guys use to do way back in the day? Those was cool
  20. TLantern Developer

I have a fix coming that will nerf the volatile toxin. When we resolve the issue that effects augments, they should also help with the damage from the toxins.

I have a question, is the heal barrel spawning at the start of the fight? I know it's not a substitute for a healer, but it's better than nothing.