Marvel and Dimensional ink making an MMORPG??

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Ghost27Xog, Nov 27, 2021.

1. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

I won’t give any more money to this company for DCUO, and I for sure won’t be a day 1 player on any new mmos they develop unless there are some major philosophical changes in the way they develop their games.
  2. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I even think I gave a lot on DCUO, but I would not start over again like that, for a subscription I would have said yes, why not, but I am already a DCUO subscription ...

Unless, at the limit our Daybreak subscription is compatible with all their games, like that I say yes.
  3. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

You’re living in a dream world if you think any game made by this company will be without hacking. They haven’t cared about hacking and exploits in any of their other titles, and nothing will change with the same team working on the new title. Really any game made by anyone, including triple a titles that have major e-sports, can’t stay in front of the hackers. So forgive me for my lack of faith in this regard.
  4. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

All we get in this game is recycled maps, and loot boxes for the cosplayers. The omnibus is a massive fail, and the new “hub” is pointless. I guess they do put in work, but the misuse of of their time is definitely up for debate
  5. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I don’t think it would “kill” it, but there is no doubting it would take a fair chunk of the player base who don’t really care about the IP as much as playing a superhero game. I know I’d absolutely be giving it a try. It would also almost assuredly kill any chance of a majority of your former player base returning.

That being said, the game still has a fair population after 11 years and there aren’t any indications that the developers are slowing down. In fact, I’d argue that there are more reasons to be optimistic about the future of the game than we’ve had in years. Everyone who has stuck it out this far isn’t very likely to move on anytime soon with the promise of a graphics update and “largest expansion to date” coming in 2023. I’ll play on and off until this game shuts down the servers
    • Like x 3
  6. Leeerooy Well-Known Player

If that is the case I hope Disney brings back "Club Penguin" quack quack quack. Want to see my igloo? Opsie dat's a duck.

Hopefully Time Warner brings back "Ray Donovan" too on Showtime for Season 8. Derp. I think it is so sad to see Ray doing marketing for a mattress

Tickets for Spyder-mon went on today winner winner winner btw all the good seats are taken sooo dar )

Disney owns Marvel I noes cuz eye got duh plus of Disney on my fone.
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

It's 3-5 years away at best and that's if it doesn't get scrapped which is the end result of more than half of games at the same stage as "Unannounced Marvel MMO".
    • Like x 1
  8. Atrocuis_ Well-Known Player

But It Is Progress Definetely With The Style Vendors At The House Of Legends. Especially When You Can Get Villain Styles
    Gives It A New Vibe & Get Thoose Feats

People Will Always Experience The Game Differently
    At Least It's Better Than Nothing In The End

But You Gotta Have Some Faith Cause Hope Burns Brights
    • Like x 1
  9. Aren Sul Committed Player

Forgive me for rolling my eyes at the title, but I've been playing and in reading these posts for 10 years and it gets a bit tiring to see "the game is dead" over and over and over (as early as year 3 no less). No game lasts forever, but they last as long as they're making money to support themselves.

If you check elsewhere in the article and/or the slide graphic, DCUO is the Cash cow of Digital Ink -> Daybreak -> EG7, pulling in revenues this year matching their 10 year peak. Taking out a main revenue stream and letting it all ride on pure chance is a strategy you'd find on a Vegas roulette table, not in a business. At this point, DCUO will only fold if EG7 folds (and, yes, anything in that arena is possible).

Regardless of how it may seem in game or on platforms or in regions, DCUO is primary revenue that is far from dead. And if the company decided to cut its primary intake, it wouldn't have any funding to feed new projects.
    • Like x 7
  10. Plowed In Loyal Player

Well said, and it’s a bonus you can understand a graph! ;)
    • Like x 2
  11. Solarbound Committed Player

I've been saying for years, if Marvel were to ever release an MMO on the same scale or better than DCUO, I'm gone. It's been real, y'all:cool:
  12. Physique Dedicated Player

Broken clocks are right at least once so eventually, there will likely be a game that comes out and dwarfs DC Universe Online. In the 10+ years of people reporting the demise of this game, it has not yet happened. I also doubt in the extreme that if Daybreak is working on a Marvel-based MMO that they'd not get severe pushback on their existing license deal with DC Comics / Warner Bros if that conversation hadn't long ago happened.

The thing I find ironic is that the same people espousing their disdain for DC Universe Online will flock to another game developed by the same publisher and development team in the hopes that something will be different. Further, while this has been reported by numerous outlets, nothing official has been announced by either Dimensional Ink, Daybreak Games, or EG7 (the parent company) and until that happens all of this commenting is a waste of oxygen. :rolleyes::p
    • Like x 1
  13. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

It's always going to be DC for me.
    • Like x 1
  14. Monsuta Man Level 30

If Jack Emmet reads player feedback..

..I hope they gather more player feedback before they get too far into the project.

I also hope they learned lessons from DCUO.

Players wanted body-scaling: "We would have to redo X, Y and Z
    Players wanted more body types: "We would have to redo X, Y, and Z
    Players wanted better, more animal-like creature skins: We would have to redo X, Y,and Z
    Players wanted layering: we would have to redo X, Y, and Z
    Players wanted more travel powers: we would have to redo X, Y, and Z
    Players inquired about Serums: We would have to redo X, Y, and Z....And drugs are bad....Except for Bane...It is ok when he uses drugs.

City of Heroes and Marvel Heroes were the 2 best , most successful superhero mmo. An isometric Marvel MMO with character creation?

(And please include more animal like hero options.....DCUO team hates them for some reason....)
  15. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

It's designed by the same people.

Which means it's going to be run the same way.

And have the same problems.

Without the benefit of sunken cost and honest-to-god nostalgia.

Either the game would have to be a zero sub model, 100% no-microtransaction game, or I'm literally never interested in playing it.
  16. Jafin 10000 Post Club

No sub and no micro transactions. So...how are they supposed to make money from it? Or do you mean either be a subscription game or one that has micro transactions?
    • Like x 1
  17. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I also just want to point out (and this is in general, not pointed at anyone specifically) that I see a lot of comments on the forums and other places about the Marvel MMO being made by "the same people" or "the same devs" as DCUO. I highly doubt that's true. Dimensional Ink has been hiring people for the unannounced game for the past two years. I sincerely doubt that any of the DCUO devs are working on the Marvel game, or at the most there's an overlap of a small number of the DCUO devs potentially doing some work on the Marvel game. Sure, Jack is involved in both but that's because he's the head of the studio. Same studio doesn't necessarily mean the same devs.
    • Like x 6
  18. Brit Loyal Player

When Marvel Heroes came out, I did play that. I spent a fair chunk of money on it, and it did cut into my DCUO time a bit.

I've done my fair share of other MMOs as well. World of Warcraft, Star Wars Old Republic, heck, I still dink around with the City of Titans beta just because they'll let me make a fat Superhero, although their awful hair selection is even more off-putting than DCUO's lack of body variety.

There are plenty of other MMOs out there. There are plenty of them that have more content than this. There are even plenty of them where we are not stat-clamped and we're allowed to use our gear and go where-ever we want with direct access points. None of those have killed DCUO.

DCUO has something that no other MMO has. And it's not the "It's about Superheroes" fanfare; there are other options there.

DCUO has an action based combat system. DCUO has block and dodge as things that we do, instead of passive stats on our gear. DCUO is the closest thing out there to an MMO where skill matters.

I don't like certain aspects of the game. I don't shy away from speaking out about the things I dislike. I will not ignore the problems.

But in an overall view, playing two hours on DCUO is far more interesting than basically any other MMO I've ever tried. I've run WoW raids where I was tanking the raid while also reading a book. A game should not be that boring.

Still, at least WoW runs regular name-purges as a part of game maintenance, so they're not all bad.
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I mean I know they're planning on making it the same cash sink we have here and I already tolerate quite enough here, as it is.
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I've got far too much time and money invested in this game to bail on it now. Honestly I doubt I'd ever play the Marvel game for fear of it becoming as soul sucking as DCUO has. I've always said the day that DCUO dies I'll be thrilled and depressed but I'd never pick up another game where it has the chance to suck me in as much as this game has.

That having been said, if Marvel MMO is done right I'd say both could exist for months or years, but in the end if DCUO doesn't update graphics, it would indeed be the loser in a head to head battle.