Episode 42 ETA: Dec. 16?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Yass Queen Hyppolyta, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Hmm, so I think some of were anticipating an episode stream this last Friday. And during what turned out to be the Booster Bundle stream, Mepps mentioned they'd be back streaming 12/3. So that would give the usual almost two weeks on test to drop right before Christmas. It all seems like a pretty tight timeline!
    • Like x 1
  2. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Yup I'm a little concerned episode will release mid December with bugs that won't get fixed due to it being so close to holiday season. Won't be time to fix game breaking bugs if it releases too close to Christmas, the devs will be off for a well deserved rest by then.

After how Metal Part II released a couple years back (also in December) I'd personally rather see the episode release when its ready, even if it releases in January close to the Anniversary Event.

If the episode is due to release later than December 9 it might be better postponed to January just in case any issues arise with downtime or major bugs on launch day or shortly after.

Also Anniversary Event would need to hit test as well in that time.

Unless of course they do the EP42 reveal livestream tomorrow or Wednesday and have the episode on test (or part of it) over the thanksgiving period.
    • Like x 3
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I doubt we will see it on test this week, most likely going to be the week after Thanksgiving holiday.

As for the Anniversary seasonal, that's a good question. Either it will be put on test right after the launch of the next DLC or will be saved for right after the holidays.

Definitely a tight schedule. lol
    • Like x 4
  4. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

It would (hypothetically) hit test on December 3, for release on December 15/16 in that case. I'll assume they won't release on 22/23, can't imagine the devs fixing bugs and rolling out live hotfixes on Christmas Eve for a brand new episode.

I have a bad feeling about a release that close to Christmas, especially if any bugs/server issues come up on test or more so on release day and the days/weeks after that.

Do what FFXIV did and push the next content release back a bit, I would say.
    • Like x 3
  5. BumblingB I got better.

The devs do work during the holidays, just not ON the holidays. So it's not terrible.

That would not end well with this community. lol There are several times they did that in the past that didn't end well. lol
    • Like x 2
  6. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I was actually expecting the release to be the 9th. I assumed it’d be on test next Thursday so that players could test while they were away for thanksgiving. Theyd come back to fix according to feedback and have the dlc up on the 9th. But with the stream on the 3rd it could very well be up on the 16th. If I remember correctly. The last dlc I was on for they did the showcase stream while they were setting up the test server. That would imply a release date of the 16th.
    • Like x 2
  7. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I too would rather if be delayed and come out as correct as possible without bugs than to meet the deadline with issues and bugs. We have endured EP. 41 this long, a little longer won’t hurt anyone.

I too would hate for someone’s Christmas time to be ruined by having to work on tracking down a bug(s) and then implement a fix. It is unfair to the programmers. Our IT guys get crapped on like that too.

Let’s be patient and unselfish, and let them have the time they need to create this project properly without anyone having to work during Christmas vacation. They want to be home with their families just as much as we do ours.
    • Like x 3
  8. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

I don't mind if it's delayed but having it release with the Anniversary Event sounds really messy to me.
    • Like x 1
  9. BumblingB I got better.

I agree, because of bugs, it would be better to stagger the releases.

Of course, I don't think this Anniversary event will be much different than last years with a few new styles. So time on test is probably not as important.

I think Dec 16/17th would be okay for a launch of DLC 42. That gives pretty much a whole week for hotfixes and they've been known to do some on weekends too.

I would also hope they get bonuses for dealing with our snit during the holidays.
    • Like x 2
  10. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

The biggest issue with it being delayed is the community. They actually used to be more open with the community. However whenever anything was delayed people became angry and started calling out the devs. So now they don’t tell us any dates and when they give us an estimate they try to push out content to meet the deadline. I’d rather it come out without bugs. But between few testers on the test server and transferring the code to live servers, bugs will happen. What really matters is how fast they can get the bugs sorted out.
    • Like x 4
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

It is still a bigger anniversary event due to the raid released last year, might be a few updates because of renown drops. That said that raid didn't even hit test before live as it was a surprise.

Dec 15/16 would still be cutting it fine. The last episode that released without major issues was Birds of Prey.

Wonderverse had Zeus bugs in FGSe. Long Live the Legion had numerous bugs with the raid, some of which are still present. World of Flashpoint FV was turned off and FFe difficulty scaling was bugged. In some cases these bugs took weeks or months to fix.

If the episode releases Dec 15/16 with game breaking issues or certain content being unplayable due to bugs or progression issues, and they aren't fixed in that week, we have to deal with that through the festive period and I'm sure there will be many complaint threads on here as a result. It would also be pretty stressful for the devs by that point as well.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

That wouldn't change if they delayed it, as bugs are bugs. Yes, more people would be home, but look at pretty much all of last year's releases.
  13. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Of course! But holiday season isn't the best time to release a content where there is a high chance it will launch with bugs, some potentially game breaking. They may not get addressed until after the holiday season.

I'm expecting EP42 to release with some form of bugs. How bad and at what time will determine how much of an issue these will cause.

EP42 needs to release in a way where the community is happy with the quality and it doesn't have major issues on live release, and ideally where the devs aren't spending some of the Christmas period itself trying to fix issues whilst choosing to release an episode around the most awkward time of the year if things go wrong.
    • Like x 1
  14. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I hope they don't rush this and honestly two weeks isn't enough time for testing and this should of been on test right now so it can be tested up and down.
    • Like x 3
  15. BumblingB I got better.

That would be in their planning for releases. Ideally, content should really not be launched in a way where it can't be fixed due to staffing, but I'm sure Omnibus and the EEG clamp took a big part of this year's budget and delayed it. So since they have to have a certain amount of releases a year, we get a December launch.

I also foresee bugs, as I don't think there was a single DLC that was released w/o one, but I don't think it will be nearly as bad as your fears short of catastrophic bugs. Like Hand of Fate had.
    • Like x 2
  16. zNot Loyal Player

I dont want a episode to be on test for only 2 weeks. Its not enough i thought the devs learned from the past or whoever wants to hide the episode from us. :p
    • Like x 3
  17. zNot Loyal Player

Not just bugs but also the adjustable difficulty for the elite raid needs proper testing and time for the devs to adjust things. I really hope we get like 3 weeks to test it.
    • Like x 4
  18. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

From what I know they have moved alot of things around and cleaned out and alot of stuff like coding and what not. With the new hardware and server upgrade they just did. We should start seeing content drop with way less bugs. This ep should drop on Dec 2. They have already said live server is the actual test server. And I believe they have been testing the crap out of it for themselves for next gen reasons
    • Like x 1
  19. FlyingFingers Well-Known Player

It will probably be on test for two weeks and testers will test and bring up issues and bugs . The devs will fix allot but miss a few sometimes allot and release it anyway. I don't blame the devs personally I think it's folks higher up telling/forcing them to release and will patch it Hotfix it later etc

But honestly for my mental state of being I really hope they don't right at this very moment it should be on test but for reasons that escape me it's not but we will see a buggy release and a fix it later approach I feel .
    • Like x 1
  20. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

1-10 how excited are you for this dlc though really? Im sitting at a solid 6 tbh