Dev invasion gifts - please make them available to the general playerbase

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Pinky, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Pinky Well-Known Player

Dear Devs,

can you please make the gifts obtained from participating in the dev invasion livestreams available to the general playerbase through a vendor or via the marketplace? Some of those materials and chromas look really great, and it would be a great pity if others couldn't get it because they were occupied with IRL stuff and missed the dev livestream.

Thanks!
    • Like x 4
  2. Hraesvelg Always Right

Are you talking about the Extra Life livestreams or the general material invasion drops? The general ones aren't time limited. As far as the Extra Life ones go, every year for Extra Life they tend to make the past years incentives available, usually as milestones.
    • Like x 2
  3. Pinky Well-Known Player

I'm referring to the general material invasion drops. I remember getting the Fire Opal Glass material from the 1st general material dev invasion. Do the dropped materials rotate per invasion or its totally random what material you get? Or the new material and all previous materials are dropped on defeat of the invasion boss?
    • Like x 1
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

It's been totally random, even between phases. One per phase.
    • Like x 1
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

There aren’t any actual drops when the devs invade. Instead the devs will do a perimeter wide drop themselves after the players defeat a boss they choose. What this means is that they choose what material they want to drop. However they do try to have some form of consistency.

As for them making it available to everyone. If that were the case there wouldn’t be any incentive to participate in the invasion. I think it’s cool that they do those extra things to interact with the play base. They are just cosmetic so if someone missed out it’s not the end of the world. I know, sucks to miss one you end up liking. But that’s the point. You have to participate to get them.
    • Like x 5
  6. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

To me this falls under the back from the hack feat etc. You are either there or you aren't. Certainly unforseen things can happen that would cause one to miss it but at the same time there needs to be a reward for participating in developer related activities. If it was just on a vendor what is the point of even going to one of those weekly or bi-weekly streams? You could just say whatever I don't care what Oceans is doing because i'll just get the reward later for some source marks. That isn't the right mindset

Would be fair to make them tradable instead of account bound. Then there is even more incentive to participate and then you could get a friend or leaguemate to participate and give you the material
    • Like x 2
  7. nawanda Loyal Player

I’ve never been able to get into the phase for one of these events, but I agree with OC, just for a change. If you’re not in the invasion gang, you can’t be in the invasion reward gang.
    • Like x 1
  8. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I was actually going to make a thread similar to this. You beat me to the punch post.

I agree, we see so many materials and auras that they give us through these events that are not in the game. Imagine how much money they'd make if they'd put these auras/mats on the MP.
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Unfortunately it's also very easy to imagine the complaints that would turn up about how the devs were doing the "nickel-and-dime" routine to players if they went that route.
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

Idk, after so many years of lootboxes, this be a welcomed change.
    • Like x 1
  11. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Really? Because players have been wanting better style items in the MP for the entire life of this game. And after all its a choice, you either want the aura or you don't. And these things are already created just sitting dormant on the internal server. All they have to do is port it to the live server MP and its basically free money. I'd much rather them put it in the MP than the slot machine's that are Time Capsules.

This is just a lame excuse, I HIGHLY doubt anyone would accuse them of trying to nickle-and-dime us for style items.
    • Like x 3
  12. Psycho Tech Dedicated Player

Would love to trade, have like 10 extra fire opals i have no use for. Id share w my league
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm not a fan of 'participation trophies' in general, but yeah, many of these invasions are hard to get into with maxed phases and many leauges who flood the phase before the stream can catch up so even people watching it are left out.

I could see some of these things being added to the Dr Fate vendor as high ticket items after they've been rolled out of the invasion rewards primary list. I've gotten into a few invasions before, but normally only if I get invited. A person who doesn't have a friend or leaguemate already in the phase is normally out of luck.
    • Like x 2
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, but back from the hack, the year one cape...rewards from the SOE Live events...whatever. All those were not really open to everyone. You had to either be on at the time (like a member) or go out of your way to participate. The dev invasions are limited by system restrictions on how many can get into a phase. You can be on the stream for hours on end trying to phase and still get locked out...it's not a matter of being on and wanting to participate, it's a restriction of the system the user is 'excluded' for. I've been in phases where the devs are NOT and there will be 100+ people standing around hoping the devs phase there next. It wouldn't take a lot to have Oceans phase hop...drop in the same area, then phase hop again...before moving on. Obviously the 100+ people standing at the Superman statue for an hour the other night were not there for their health...they were supporting the stream, they just couldn't phase or maybe lock down one of the invasion offerings in Extra Life.

Tradable also works, but it still pretty much excludes anyone who is not part of a big league, or can't get an inv before the phase fills. And yeah, small leagues or solo players do count....not just those who have a YT channel or Twitch or are one of the 'cool' kids.

And for the record, I was in phase....I did however get DC'd when I fled one time cause you know....Console life. Couldn't get back in after inv because of 'max' phase number was hit. I don't personally care about missing out as I'd likely not use any of the styles that were dropping, but the point remains...it's not effort that's excluding people...it's a system restriction.
    • Like x 3
  15. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

If its any of the events Oceans does on Fridays they continually switch phases between herself and Redfive, if they are both on the stream, so it gives multiple players the opportunity. At some point this is a MMO with thousands of styles, they all can't be expected to be equally available for every single player past and present. I am not sure if you were in the streams when Oceans had talked about the materials but all the dev event drops are ones she designed that had no place in DCUO. The very reason we have them is that they were created and did not make it purposefully into DCUO for the masses. So if they were made available to everyone that would entirely ignore the very reason why they were handed out in the first place.
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm fine with not having everything. Was just replying on your stance that if things were available through other methods people would be prone to just skipping the events and buy them. While I'm sure that would happen, it's more than a lazyness issue and 'meh, I'll get it later then...screw the stream'. If the point is to get people to 'care' about the streams, having it drop to people outside of that single phase, but in the same proximity would be a better solution than selling them outright. I think you lose people off the streams from frustration when they realize they won't be able to get in phase after trying for 20-30 min. Frustration is a great negative motivator as much as rewards are a positive one.
    • Like x 3
  17. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I know Mr. Advocate ;) making them tradeable I feel is fair compromise. Maybe with the new server enhancements that were apart of the recent GU these types of mass player events will improve in quality
  18. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I barely managed to get in and get the aura. Someone invited me to a group the last time they were on US server. I sat there on game all day couldn’t get in a phase by myself. The group members phase was full so i spammed phase change. Eventually i got in and the boss had a sliver of health left. It was extremely hard to get these items, no i dont think it should have been that way
  19. KoscheiDeath Well-Known Player

The boss events they did for the stream marathon was for those who choose to donate. Everyone else had a "chance" to get in but it wasn't guaranteed. It wasn't meant for the general public and it was only done as a Thank You reward for those who donated, the fact that people are upset because they didn't get in or because they didn't like the way it was conducted is quite appealing. If you want the rewards (because charity is all about the rewards, huh?), please donate instead of complaining.

Those who didn't donate weren't supposed to get the items at all, consider yourself extremely lucky that you actually did.
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

If it wasn't meant to include others they'd have done it in a league hall or area with a smaller phase cap like FP/PW or wherever. Yes, the people who donated(and their friends) get the premium first-dibs access, but yeah, the general public was intended to participate...it would be very easy to have put it in a smaller location.

And not everyone could buy the dev invasions. They were put up and gone quickly a few times during the stream. BTW...I did donate...that's why I got a shiny new title:) . I probably would have donated anyway (I did so last year with nothing to be gained) but yeah, if an incentive is offered I don't see anything wrong with expecting it for those who did donate.

BTW. This has nothing to do with the charity event really. This happens every time they do a 'dev invasion' even outside the 'Extra Life' window. Some have a much better chance of getting in phase than others mostly due to deep friends lists or league rosters...maybe some advanced notice too.
    • Like x 1