Just read the Legion of Doom interview with Jackster and WOW smh

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheWrecker, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

The actual Comic storyline answers that for you. Lex's New Legion of Doom has absolutely nothing to do with any previous versions. And in the storyline a lot of villains either turned them down or stood against them.

The original (your) Legion of Doom wanted to rule the world.

Lex's Legion of Doom wants to bring forth Perpetua to remake the Multiverse, killing Hero and Villain alike. (Well actually transforming everyone into mindless slaves of Perpetua but same difference)

If you want to help Lex you'd literally be doing it to try and make sure Perpetua deletes your Villain.
    • Like x 5
  2. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

Thank you for proving my point I really appreciate it. You are correct many of them did decline lex but many didn't. Like I said everything you wrote is correct that still doesn't explain why as a member of the legion of Doom I can't fight with the legion of Doom on a legion of Doom episode. Everything you wrote proves my point you said it yourself some turned him down. Some didn't. Thank you again for coming. I appreciate it.
    • Like x 4
  3. AV Loyal Player

I think the most likely thing we'll see more often, which they can do pretty organically as there's precedent in both the comics and previous DCUO episodes, is instances or portions of instances dedicated to the villain perspective to some degree. The Sinestro portion of the Blackest Night missions, for example, is really cool whether someone's a hero or a villain and it flows better with the story having it integrated like that imo. Gives the VAs more to work with too, like Sinestro's "WE CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE RANX AND QWARD!" line.
    • Like x 3
  4. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Tbh you seem to have read only what you wanted to read, not the important parts.

You keep asking why you can't fight alongside Lex? Because if you did, and if you won, you'd lose. Your toon would be ripped into tiny little pieces, reformed as a monster, and you, the person, would have no control of your ingame toon. Your controller battery isnt dead, your mouse isn't unplugged, you chose this. You'd log on just to see that Perpetua is controlling your ingame toon now. No refunds. No apologies. The End.

I get the feeling that you haven't actually read the story tbh. Many haven't either btw so its not a crime, but it just means you have no context to base your complaint on. You don't seem to get that Lex's Legion of Doom is World Ending, not World Conquering. I'd recommend reading it, its a bit wobbly in the middle but it sets up Death Metal pretty well.
    • Like x 6
  5. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

You don't seem to get that I know exactly what you're talking about and I have read it. That still doesn't explain why as a member of the legion of Doom I can't fight with the legion of Doom on a legion of Doom episode. You keep talking about my character perishing bro that's not going to happen because the game's not ending LOL. There's no validity to your point. My point on the other hand is valid. There were plenty of villains that fought with lex. You can write as much as you want. I would encourage you to continue. I appreciate it. It keeps this post at the top of the forums. Nothing you write is going to change the fact that as a member of the legion of Doom you should be able to fight alongside the legion of Doom in a legion of doom episode.
  6. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Because theres 2 different Legion of Doom's.

Anyway you're right, we should let the thread die.
    So long.
    • Like x 2
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I just dont look forward to the styles like i used to. Idk someone like me who really only plays the game for the base building and character customization had been kinda outta luck for awhile due to the constant bman sman and ww gear
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I'd put forward another line of thought: players getting hung up over what they're doing in the story as opposed to why they're doing what they are doing. Only looking at what we're doing in the game is basically looking at half the equation.

I also think the tendency of players to choose playing the hero to begin with factors into the situation. More often than not, given the choice folks will go with the good guys. I remember seeing similar sentiments in SWG where players would accuse the devs there of being biased towards Rebel players, but a lot of the time it just came down to those players wanting to be on the side of the Rebel Alliance.

It took years before I created my first villain in this game. It wasn't because of any supposed bias by the devs against villain players. It wasn't because the villain side seemed to be getting the short end of the stick in any way. It just didn't interest me, and I'd imagine that others feel/felt the same way.
    • Like x 3
  9. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

I appreciate the conversation brother and thank you for helping me prove my point. That there were villains that fought with the legion., As a member of the legion of Doom I should have the option to fight alongside the legion of Doom. Thank you for proving my point brother. You are appreciated.
    • Like x 1
  10. PhilOsyfee Active Player

Not a chicken or the egg, factions were uneven from the start. The change was made so early on in the games life cycle that I think people don't actually realize how bad villains had it. It wasn't due to a lack of factional specific content, but simply not enough people to warrant making it to begin with.
    Also if you want to be mad/frustrated at anyone, go complain to the people who were villains/heroes and had friends on the opposing faction and got upset they couldn't play the game together.
    • Like x 2
  11. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I think that the diminishing of PVP also affected the Villain side adversely.

Back in the old days (Killing Joke server), the Villains were pretty well-known as the better of the two factions when it came to PVP, and it made a lot of Heroes break bad because of it.
    • Like x 1
  12. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

A bunch of years back, there were people who were asking for what you are asking.

It's not a small request as you may now see being the responses that you are seeing and the way that people just settle for what they have.

Unfortunately I don't know if the conversation is one that is well understood or at the least one that will be seen as it needs the respect that other threads get, because of the frustration and the amount of time that has passed since factions even mattered and you can see it in the various responses given.

"NO", is a creepy, scary thing these days.

Disappointment, neglect, and having the feeling of being ignored has been instilled into society on all fronts, with the effects that even a discussion like this one is met with "just give up" or "settle for" or plain old "can't do" has become a staple in even trying to push others to dream big.

The villain population has never been big, always outnumbered, being people generally seen themselves as good and not evil.

I actually have always felt that it was something that made this game stand out with the good vs evil, reminds me of "Fable" being it gave us the option to choose our own path.

Unfortunately, as the population dropped off, it hurt 1 side more than the other as more and more abandoned 1 faction for the other, inorder to fill queues as more and more were left with fewer and smaller amount of other players to run content with.

Personally I agree with you, this would be an excellent time to reintroduce the other faction and has the potential to open it back up.

However, it will only be in reverse because the super majority are heroes, not villains and since PvP is virtually dead it leaves the only opposition to what you are saying to those who basically have given up with suggestions or challenges or anything to try and push the devs for change, because it usually is met by silence or flat out sense of not being heard.

So...

They should, but I would add, returning some of the things they took away from PvP, that may have seemed trivial but at least it gave us something to work towards or gave a sense of accomplishment, like the buff colas for PvP and the PvP breakout trinkets.

PvP is not the focus for what you are asking, but it did play a role in why the factions mattered, the wars were epic and fun, while also inclusive and engaging, along with different missions and the like.
  13. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You have to accept that there will be no narrative explanation to satisfy you, and also accept that this is the way it is because of real world logistical issues. In other words, they don't have the resources to do content for both factions (they haven't for a long time). It's just that simple.
    • Like x 5
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

How can you be so down when you don't even know what's coming in episode 42? Look at it this way, they already gave us Flash style in the anniversary event and Flashpoint episode. Then Flashpoint Batman style in the Flashpoint Time Capsule. That was followed up with Sixth Dimension Superman, and the current Time Capsule covers Wonder Woman. That means the big three plus the Flash have all been covered well this year.

Also, Flashpoint provided us with 2 Non-Trinity style sets (Doomsday, and the fantastic Heatwave style), and Episode 41 (despite being a non-traditional episode) gave us Fuginaut and Monitor styles. I have a strong feeling that episode 42 styles will not be about the Trinity since that has been very well covered right up to now.
  15. Illumin411 Loyal Player

^^^ This. If there is only enough time and resources to either develop two versions of one thing or one version of two things (ex. raids), we all know what most players would prefer. I agree that the concept of hero players and villain players complete with their own unique experiencing of the game is an awesome concept and the game would be better with it. It's just not remotely feasible at this point.

Also, the solution to the criticism of "lazy" storylines would be to flesh them out with more cinematics aka cutscenes. Again, I think we all know how the majority of players feel about cutscenes. I myself actually like them and don't mind longer ones (Metal Gear Solid superfan here). But I'm aware enough to know when I'm in the minority.
    • Like x 2
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

To the original post, making content for a subset of players means less content for everyone. I know it's been a sometimes frustrating progression since we started so heavily with the factions back in 2011. Villains want to torture and mutilate and kill and destroy and we never really had the rating for that. Faction-only content was probably a mistake then and would be a mistake now, just doing the math.

That said, we can tell any story in any number of ways. We welcome feedback on that storytelling - what was interesting, what was not, what made sense, what was missed, what characters or storylines would you like us to look at, and on and on. The writing and the storytelling is certainly not lazy, though, so you're going to need to bring something more constructive, if you have any ideas to share.
    • Like x 24
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Besides the extra work involved in developing 2 different versions of the runs (different bosses, different adds, different voiceovers), I'd guess some of the reason we've seen a drop off in the double faction builds is 2 of the main mentor voice actors (Michelle Forbes and Mark Hamill) are out, so at best we'd get Lex guiding all our missions...at worst we get 2nd stringers like the horrible Harley replacement. I suppose Calc could be running the show, but that felt extremely weird even in the BOP content....even worse if he was the leader of the Legion of Doom.

On top of that with the eventuality of cross faction grouping coming, having 2 different runs will only cause more issues....I'd guess.
    • Like x 2
  18. AV Loyal Player

But... I like the Harley Q_Q
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not compared to the old one...and definitely not after running Iceberg lounge 100+ times in the last month. Yikes.

And hey...I'm saying I could do better...just betting DBG could have.
  20. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Exactly. In bridging the DC Universe to DC Universe Online on a conceptual level, theoretically, Perpetua would have the power to suddenly make everyone's DC cash account below $500, make their artifacts suddenly at <80 and make them be stuck with the pink aura. not A pink aura, THE pink aura. I don't think anyone wants to help her with that. :p
    • Like x 2