My answers to the November survey

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NotMeMaybe, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I hope you will take the survey and give them your feed back in the comments section at the end of the survey. I understand the reasons you feel the way you do, but please, just consider this, Daybreak/DCUO is under new ownership, EG7. I believe that they want the best for this game because they see its potential and where there is potential there is the opportunity for a profit (which is the purpose of a product like DCUO to a company like EG7).

I hope everyone will give EG7 a chance. Perhaps past wrongs can be made right. Perhaps even better raids and such can be developed. They are asking for our engagement. I hope you and everyone else will give them the opportunity to prove themselves to us.

As I said before, I love this game, it was my first MMO ever. I want it to improve and be successful going forward so if honestly & thoughtfully answering a survey will help achieve this, very well then.
    • Like x 2
  2. Bipolar Diva Well-Known Player

No sarcasm intended but this may not be the game for you. Also I am wrong occasionally.
    • Like x 3
  3. Canadian Justice Committed Player

I know. And in the past, I've done so. It's with this survey in particular that I found myself reviewing my answers and being rather unsatisfied with the picture that was being painted. Rather than answer the questions and end up with what would amount to drastically skewed feedback and then attempt to clarify too many questions in the final comment I said forget it.

Will likely just end up doing a big my thoughts post that is somewhat thematically similar to the posed questions. I realize this isn't ideal, if everyone did it, all the views would just get drowned out by one another and there is no possible way that each post could be read.
    • Like x 4
  4. Clintelligence Level 30

I play the game, so there must be something I enjoy enough to make me play. That holds true for everyone who plays.

Primarily when I look at the requests, they seem to be a few basic Quality of Life issues, and then some general polish and maintenance. Like "Hey, could you fix the bugs that we point out on the test server BEFORE rolling out those issues onto live?" Or "Hey, this boss fight is broken, and now we're being forced to go back into this old, broken content that you didn't bother to fix. Could you either fix it, or assign a non-broken instance to be your Saves The Universe choice?"

Basically, people liked the game, but they wanted it to work right.

What this newest episode represents is a development team that ignored the things we actually want and asked for, and instead performed a massive game overhaul which turned off a lot of players. I definitely play less. I un-subbed, because it no longer seems to carry any significant value. The issues I wanted to see addressed were ignored, but instead we got a bunch of changes that further decreased my enjoyment.

I'll politely point at another example of an MMO that did something similar: Star Wars Galaxies. "Hey. We've got players who really enjoy our game, but want some small fixes and general game maintenance. Let's perform a massive overhaul and change a lot of the stuff that they like, so that we can hopefully attract enough new customers to offset the ones we are chasing away." It didn't work for SWG, massively tanking their MMO by changing the game until it was too different for the people who liked it, while also not particularly attracting new customers in the process. I don't believe it will help with DCUO either.
    • Like x 7
  5. NotMeMaybe Active Player

Finally someone with common sense this is exactly what is happening, minimal effort, ignoring all the long time and highly requested features, as long as it attract new players and make them spend money.
    Anyone that doedn't see this is blind.
    • Like x 3
  6. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Unconstructive toxic, cringey BS kinda...

Like making a post labeling something else as toxic and unconstructive while offering nothing yourself? Like performing the schtick of speaking for everyone by declaring the schtick to undercut any points being made?

Normally I quite like your posts, but wow this is hypocritical AF. Don't deign to speak for everyone "master thread" guy! LOL

(Edit: wait, it's bait? Bait for what?)
    • Like x 3
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Cannot be taken seriously at all. Like dude how are you going to ask us what kinda content we wanna see then we never see it! It took legion 9 years, by the time we got it alot if the people that wanted it were gone. Flashpoint? Took 10 years. Nowhere on the survey did it ask what kinda dlc do we want. I get that it takes time for approval n all that. But theres no reason why in 2021 we cant vote for the content coming in 2023
    • Like x 3
  8. Imaginos Dedicated Player

I ran into the same thing myself and also stopped filling it out due to that.
  9. BƖack Dedicated Player

I agree. For me there is no point to fill these surveys since they are not effective anyway. I have filled 2 surveys back in the days asking for pvp changes and nothing has been done.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It is worth noting that EG7 has no impact on how we run DCUO or how we do feedback. We have done surveys since we were SOE.
    • Like x 10
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This seems like a misunderstanding of what a survey is for. It definitely doesn't guarantee some action will be taken because one person answered a question in a certain way.
    • Like x 5
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Which questions were unanswerable?
    • Like x 1
  13. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

• Like x 3
  14. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Fair points and noted. Change is difficult and we will look to more concisely hit some of these core issues you are referring to in future updates. 41 was definitely something different.

THAT SAID, while your point is taken, comparing 41 to the NGE can only be done by someone who didn't live through or doesn't remember the NGE. But hey, we are Dimensional Ink, and we're proud of our two signal achievements with Star Wars Galaxies and with DC Universe Online - the good, the bad, and how the teams over the years have persevered.
    • Like x 8
  15. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I totally see how/why people look at it that way, I do. But I would argue two things:

1. I think they finally realized the problem with the fact that that the game and community had grown to a point of singularly focusing on only one single DLC at any given time. That problem being a growing disconnect between the limited resources and time available (even considering a reasonable expansion of those resources via EG7) and also people expectations of what constitutes "entertaining and engaging" over the realistic period of time that it takes to develop video game content in 2021. Essentially, no matter what they did, no single DLC/episode was going to ever meet their goals of player satisfaction (both in terms of expressed feedback and user engagement metrics), regardless of what they did or are realistically able to do if that was ALL the player base was going to be playing.

Then they looked and said "hey, we're sitting on 40 episodes of content here, why are we continually all solely focusing on our players only playing only one episode? This game is MASSIVE. Let's make all the content we have developed over 10 years relevant again and truly make it FEEL MASSIVE!"

2. A major part of what a well run business does is see and predict the big picture going forward ie five years, ten years, etc (as much as it's possible without the Helm of Nabu anyway). While it may seem like DCUO's current situation had no need for a massive overhaul, it's very possible and I would argue there's a lot of evidence that there were/are some slow moving downward trends that were painting a pretty grim picture for DCUO in 2026 or whenever. Stagnant & repetitive DLC formats, displeasure with how they tried to move away from those formats, displeasure with events like Survival Mode intended to bridge the perpetually dwindling engagement towards the end of one DLC before another is ready, a supposedly broken and unfixable PVP system, a widening gap between new game graphics and 2011 game graphics and non realistic way to simply overhaul the whole game's visuals, etc, etc. At least in my opinion, it's not too hard to see how all of that being repetitively and perpetually the case DLC after DLC, year after year was painting a grim picture for the future.

I'm not sure how much EG7 stepping in had to do with this change since things that get changed added to the game are usually a year or more in development. But I can see a scenario where EG7 stepped in and said "hey, you guys are stuck in a cycle where, because of customer expectations, attention spans, etc, you're cornered in to putting all of your focus on the NEXT thing. But where do we see this game in five or ten years? IS it heading in the right direction long term? OR, if not, how do we need to steer it differently? OR maybe that was Jackster saying something like that pre-EG7. Either way, it's a productive and healthy way to run a business.

In short, the smart money never bets on fixing foundational issues when they're at the point of causing catastrophic collapse. The smart money bets on fixing the cracks as soon as they've visible. Perhaps, this change is what that was.

Edit: to all you avid PVP fans out there, I did say SUPPOSEDLY unfixable. That's the semi-official word as of now that I'm just repeating. There's no need to kick that dead horse of a debate here. :)
  16. Canadian Justice Committed Player

There were several that I felt failed to account for a more neutral stance or tried to combine multiple things into one answer. I have filled out the survey and will be sending you a PM with my clarifications.
    • Like x 4
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

That reminds me of this great line from Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact,,,,

Because I believe that God, whomever you hold that to be, hears all prayers, even if sometimes the answer is no.

;)
    • Like x 3
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

o_O

I know this was already touched upon by Mepps, but

[IMG]

The latest episode was nothing and I mean NOTHING like the NGE. Had it been an NGE-level change, I wouldn't be here anymore as SOE used up almost all of my goodwill with the way that was handled.

Funny thing that people tend to forget when it comes to the NGE, though, is that when they finally started fixing the things that were broken and getting things to a playable state again? The game ran longer under the NGE changes than it did pre-NGE. Despite all the doom-saying and predictions the game continued for another six years and might well have kept going had the license not been renewed/cancelled (I don't think we'll ever really know the full story behind why that happened, though I have my own theories).
    • Like x 2
  19. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I just feel like alot of people put they wanted pvp revamped
  20. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Not exactly, EG7 is the parent company, they're more like the source of money or the engine to stick with your analogy. The person in the drivers seat is still Jack Emmert the brilliant mind that brought you the P2W things Artifacts and Time Capsules, the same guy that made other games hes managed P2W.