Just read the Legion of Doom interview with Jackster and WOW smh

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TheWrecker, Nov 2, 2021.

1. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

When I saw we were going to have a legion of dome episode I became so excited. The game has been so lazy for several years now with our episodes as far as the storylines go. You guys have lumped together heroes and villains in the same missions over and over and over when that's not even close to how it works in the comic world. It's very rare that heroes and villains team up.
    Since all my villains when they reach level 30 joined the legion of dome I was so excited about this episode. Finally new content after almost 10 months AND a return of different story lines for the different factions. So disappointed after reading his interview. You're just gonna lump tof. heroes and the villains together again with lazy cookie cutter storylines and writing. We villan's are literally members of the legion of doom. We should at the very least have a choice , just like they did in the comics, on whether we wanna fight with Lex or not. After all this way it's for content so disappointing that we villains won't be able to fight with the very legion we are a member of.
    • Like x 10
  2. zNot Loyal Player

I think dcuo shouldnt waste ressources by giving one fraction those extras. The game does better if all heroes and villians are together and have no difference.
    • Like x 3
  3. BumblingB I got better.

I don't know what comics you've been reading, but Heroes and Villains team up for a common goal all the time. Especially in Crisis Crossover Events.

Also, for anyone interested, here's a link: https://www.cbr.com/dimensional-ink-games-ceo-jack-emmert-interview/

I'm just excited he acknowledged Ted Kord Blue Beetle. I hope this means a Blue and Gold episode! :D
    • Like x 11
  4. AV Loyal Player

That's huge. This game originated immediately pre-Infinite Crisis, so Blue Beetle has always been in extreme limbo where it was like "is this universe before the events of Countdown to Infinite Crisis? Is Blue Beetle still Ted Kord or is it Jaime Reyes? Where is Maxwell Lord right now? Has he been exposed yet? Has the snap happened yet, completing the trio of dark events that lead to Infinite Crisis and Superboy Prime?" Really frustrating that one of (if not the) most iconic and world-defining events in DC history is so nebulous here, especially with the way the Anniversary Event shows Alexander Luthor being abducted by the Crime Syndicate instead of being off in a pocket dimension with E2 Supes/Lois and Prime.

Booster Gold always seemed waaaaay too chipper for this to have been a universe where Countdown to Infinite Crisis occurred and Ted Kord is one of my favourite characters (he's the most believable/relatable & humanized hero along with Booster) so I've always held out hope we could finally get him in the game.

Also: Omg please give us Superboy Prime already. He's such a good character.
    • Like x 3
  5. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I just read the interview and I have come away with the opposite impression as TheWrecker. I am excited about it as it is the beginning of a much larger, more in-depth story that is so very much needed in DCUO. This is GREAT.

Writing story lines in parallel for Heroes/Villains is very difficult to begin with. Add in the time / personnel / financial restraints, and it makes sense to create one agnostic storyline that all players play.

I am a Hero, but I am also a Villain, a very strong, ebil (as we say in my league) villain. Having only a single story line route does not bother me. Would I like to have a separate story line route? Sure, but I don’t want to wait year(s) for the next dlc to out.

Give them a chance before giving up hope. Let’s see what the devs have cooked up for us. The artwork is beautiful. I’m sure the story will be better than anything we have had in a long time.
    • Like x 2
  6. BumblingB I got better.

There is a Briefing or Investigation that mentioned Ted's death during the OMAC storyline leveling quest. So this would be post Countdown. It also delved into WW3 a little bit with Black Adam which was part of the 52 story.

Booster Gold had his own comic that was both serious and humorous. He was outwardly playing the buffoon, but he was secretly protecting the timeline. Hence, greatest hero you never heard of.

I really want them to go back and work on the leveling story quests and give them an ending. They could do a time travel episode with Booster dealing with the OMAC thing and introducing Jaime and Ted in the process.
    • Like x 4
  7. BumblingB I got better.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  8. Neb153 Level 30

I'm sorry but you most not have read many comics as of late
    • Like x 5
  9. AV Loyal Player

Damn you're right I forgot about that briefing. Agreed with WW3 but that and all the other events we've had since, though connected/influenced in some way by Infinite Crisis, could still be adapted to exist without Infinite Crisis. Our multiverse is a bit weird like that... eg. Ray Palmer kicking around all normal-like back in Prison Break + our non-Jean Loring Eclipso when the game released. There were (and still are) a ton of major "ok wtf... we need a Who's Who in the DCU (DCUO Edition) for the game now cuz the continuity is all over the place" things, especially with how many things get teased in briefings and via TC gear.

The Booster Gold run was decent (not as good as 52 though) and that's a fair point it's just hard to imagine him dicking around with HIVE and stuff like he does in the early game if we're to believe the BB headshot and 52 happened. That's a fair point in general, however, in regards to his masquerading as a doofus in post-52 so could be justified with any generic "blah blah time stream" excuse.

There are so many epic plotlines they could explore. I appreciate the homogenized approach of blending all the different arcs into a semi-unique universe, much like Young Justice and the DCAOU does, but it feels like the plot just skims over a lot of huge events to press forward like they're trying to catch up to post-Rebirth continuity. That's technically fine, as the Omniverse is very, very cool and Infinite Frontier sets an awesome tone moving forward.... but a lot of storylines, especially ones that saw prestige releases, really deserve their own content. Eg. An Emerald Twilight -> Rebirth arc (it's established that this happened in the DCUO multiverse verbatum), an Infinite Crisis adaptation, Longbow Hunters, way more JSA, Injustice, Doom Patrol, Animal Man, Adam Strange, Seven Soldiers of Victory, Court of Owls (and really anything along the bat family arc), Joker War, 52 (Booster & Rip are both very well established ig now that this would be pretty organic), Red Son, a Red Hood arc, Superman vs Elite or All-Star or Superman & the Authority arcs (a decade and we've only only gotten Death & Return for Supes), and they could even do stuff like DCeased (which was teased in briefings). Tons of untapped potential.

The lack of Superboy Prime and a resolution to the Earth 3 (Crisis on Multiple Earths) -> Crisis on Infnite Earths -> Identity Crisis > Infinite Crisis generational macro arc is a major disservice imo, especially when there was so much build up for it before.
    • Like x 2
  10. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Having faction specific content? Like in War of the Light and Hand of Fate?

Honestly imo there are better ways in which the devs can use their resources at the moment. They are short-staffed - and how many players still mainly play on villain side at this point? It is also more content to design/balance etc., and who in the community is going to test villain content?

Good luck to XBOX, Switch and EU villain sides trying to get into the content to start off with.

As nice an idea as it would be, it would NEVER work at this point. DCUO is too far gone (unless something miraculous happens).
    • Like x 3
  11. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

I am 3,547 print comics not counting the digital. Yes there are crossovers. But you guys saying that heroes and villains work together all the time it's just you guys making excuse for this poorly run game. The game is not better without separate story lines that was the whole premise of the game to begin with. It's fine if you don't agree with me but many of you are grasping at straws trying to rationalize lazy development and story writing. That's the truth.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

I think Switch Villain side is probably close to the hero than PC/PS in population. Of course they are probably all in one punched though. LoL
  13. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

All I know is the stories coming out of DC's printed material has been horrible for quite some time.
    Everything right now is one big cluster **** even with Didio finally booted last year. (THANK GOD!)
    And what they are heading to in the comics is going to be horrible since all they can do is keep rehashing old stories and they have nothing new or original for the readers.

And that bubbling hot mess is what the devs here have to work with. I feel sorry for them.
    • Like x 3
  14. AV Loyal Player

There also aren't enough villain arcs in print (and really none in film besides, debatably, Harley Quinn, Deathstroke, & Suicide Squad, which are all firmly anti-hero), to justify a permanent villain-side though. For Villain comics, there's really just Joker and (debatably, since it's once again more anti-hero) Deathstroke. Red Hood and the Outlaws is antihero, Black Adam in WW3 isn't a bad dude, Harley Quinn / Harley Quinn & the Gotham City Sirens is grey / antihero, Lucifer is a misunderstood Presence-tier entity, and Suicide Squad / Task Force X / Task Force Z is villains & anti-heros doing anti-heroic or heroic stuff. Hell, even in the current Joker run, Joker doesn't present as a traditional villain in that it's like.. yeah... he's still the Joker... but the story presents Gordon with a moral dilemma and Joker's arguably not the greatest evil in the plot. The closest arc we have to something justifying a Villain faction is Injustice, but that's really just the stereotypical lines being blurred in regards to characters' alignments and not an inversion of the hero/villain dynamic overall.

My point is there isn't enough content, precedent, or justification for their to be totally different hero and villain streams in DCUO. It's just a ton of work to give villains way more representation than they get anywhere for a minority of the community. Eg. I had never seen the villain version of FR until recently and while it's very neat, that's a colossal amount of work for little return. It's a ton of extra work just to give some players the option to, for some reason, push suicidal people off buildings instead of talking them down and do other objectively evil crap like killing civilians in DD raid, for example. It's weird. @_@

Yes, there are great individual villain arcs like Villains United and Salvation Run... but those can still be done as episodes like any other. Also, having black & white factions is really awkward for players who want their character to identify as an anti-hero. Lastly, there's "villain" and then there's "world-ending macro evil." Pretty much every antagonist in the game falls under the latter, especially lately, so the heroes and villains working together is totally justifiable. Everything should just be homogenized with existing villain instances remaining but with the villain faction being merged and Lex/Joker/Circe being simply additional mentor options for the villain arcs.

Edit: Don't forget the upside of having factions merge is that villains would probably get more represenation in the long run. They're not gonna just ditch their villain VAs, who are all stellar. Instead of going ages without villain-specific content we're likely gonna be hearing more of Lex/Calculator/Deathstroke/Zoom/Sinestro and everyone else than we normally would, which is already the case in House of Legends. More players will have the opportunity to be exposed to villain stories via mixed arcs. Also, if a new player could choose Lex/Joker/Circe as a mentor without getting stuck on the deserted Villain server (or having to deal with the sometimes uncomfortably, over-the-top evil things the villains are expected to do), there may be more people choosing Lex/Joker/Circe and justifying more investment into Villain character representation overall. The status quo will only see the Villain faction wither away over time.
    • Like x 5
  15. PhilOsyfee Active Player

Fam this is a video game. I can respect your enthusiasm for wanting things closer to the source material, but we literally had to deal with this problem years ago of not enough folks in one faction to populate said content, so they made cross faction to fill it in. This isn't some slight to the comics or making things "not as they should be", it's just simply the way things are due to the faction balance.
    • Like x 7
  16. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

There in lies the age old eternal quandary of "which came first the chicken or the egg." The villain faction kept getting diluted because there wasn't any new villainous story lines coming out so the devs focused more on hero content with arbitrary excuses as to why the villains joined the heroes. So the question is. Did the devs stop making villain content because players stopped playing villains, or did the players stop playing villains because the devs stopped making content for villains?
    • Like x 6
  17. Shark Dental Devoted Player

They should make an episode where heroes/villains are trapped in a digital world and heroes are forced to attack "innocent" citizens of the digital realm or perform other seemingly villainous actions. It would be interesting to see how heroes would react if the shoe is on the other foot and were forced to team up with villains for a change instead of vice-versa.
    • Like x 2
  18. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

I think the later my friend
  19. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

As of right now, November 2nd 2021:

- Black Adam (a former villain) is a member of the Justice League.

- Flashpoint Thomas Wayne, who helped Bane subjugate Gotham so badly that Batman's Rogues were its new police force, and who's actions led to Bane killing Alfred, is helping out Justice Incarnate.

- Slade Wilson (Deathstroke) is working with Black Canary

- Kal El (No longer Superman) Recruiting Manchester Black and Enchantress for the Authority

- Batman working alongside Ghostmaker, a known killer who he trained alongside

- The Totality organization.

And thats not even looking backwards. Clayface working with the Bat-family, Lex Luthor being a full member of the Justice League, Jarro, the Forever Evil storyline in its entirety.

I take it your 3,547 Comics are 99% Marvel then.
    • Like x 1
  20. TheWrecker Well-Known Player

LOL only 1,348 are marvel friend. Those are great examples. Thanks for commenting. Still doesn't explain how a member of the legion of Doom on this game can't fight with the legion of Doom on a legion of Doom episode.