Dev's: When do we get the Name Reclaim now?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lara, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

I don't play a lot anymore, but in the past few months I've had tells from 3 different people who I don't know. They each asked me if I have names for sale. I suspect that a name reclaim will be a bunch of players hoarding names to sell them later. It seems to me that names have become too much of a commodity.

I think I mentioned in another thread that going forward character names should be based on accounts to prevent the need for a name reclaim at all. SuperBob@accountname for example. Naturally the character name would be the only one displayed overhead.
    • Like x 2
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

Never as there is no reason. names are limitless the only boundary to getting a unique name is being creative
    • Like x 2
  3. Drathmor Unwavering Player

one reason would be players leave and come back all the time in a MMO losing a name pushes people away from returning. the bigger question would be why do we need a name reclaim.

the only answer is people are lazy and cant come up with an original thought of their own
    • Like x 4
  4. SuperCanuck New Player

Like Gun said, it is going to be done with a server merge. Which is going to decrease the chances of getting that name even more. If it's taken on one server, it will probably be taken on the other. If the one person doesn't log on, it would just go to the other person on the second server. The chances of both not logging in during a name reclaim are pretty slim I would think.
  5. Hraesvelg Always Right

The cynical part of me thinks a lot of people asking for this are name speculators. They're going to make a mad dash to try and claim some names they can resell later.
    • Like x 3
  6. the solowing Steadfast Player

My reason for a name reclaim? Because its a free to play game thats been active for 10 years with only 1 event name reclaim event and PC/PS share the naming pool.

Youre right, do you know how hard it is to make up something on your own?

I started Roll Ryuko as "Blackout00" the Raven clone.

Change her name to what is is due to Roll (From Megaman. Fan of hers and Megaman in MvC2 growing up), Eiko (From Squid Girl. Favorite Manga), and Ryuko (From Kill La Kill. I wanted my character to be like her attitude-wise)

Drew Inspiration from "Ace Combat: Zero" as a setting to the world my character lives in, full of Mercenaries and defenders of a nation

Named the homes i built after the Squadron/Base you play alongside in "Ace Combat 5".
    [IMG]

Whats this!?
    [IMG]

We dont all start off being unique, sometimes it takes a few inspirations to inspire us to make something our own. Even though Roll Ryuko is a amalgamation of alot of pre-existing things, she is unique because their is nothing else like her.

So im all for the name reclaim because i am one of them and i know how hard it is to make something entirely unique until the creative ball starts rolling.

Not everyone is going to get the name they want of course, but those who dont may find something that sparks a name to come to them.
    • Like x 1
  7. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

That's why a name reclaim for no other reason other than lack of imagination is kind of pointless. Too many people will wind up with a handful of disappointment...like last time*.

Also, if people were going to be sparked to come up with a different name, wouldn't that have happened already??? The fact of the matter is that most names actually freed up by a reclaim would wind up in the hands of name traders.

Edit: What is really needed is a better/different naming convention, otherwise all we'll get is more threads like this only a few days after the reclaim...which essentially means failure for the players.

*[There was another name reclaim before when they merged the original servers way back, when PS3 and PCs were separate.]
    • Like x 4
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

That why i think the name wipe, needs to happen with no forewarning and also be needs to offer a grace period depending on account activity on DCUO as well as Free2Play/ Premium status.
  9. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Oh, that would go over so well...:rolleyes:

In the end it would still not really fix the real problem since there can only be one person with a particular name at a time....so disappointment will still happen, and in the case of a name still being active, no luck in getting it anyway.
    • Like x 3
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I believe the term for that is "pulling the rug out from underneath players."

Never ends well.
    • Like x 4
  11. the solowing Steadfast Player

Or we can give name hoarders another heads up. Im not against a name reclaim, become most of you wont lose your name at all.

Its a hard choice i guess, but if we got through the stat clamp, a targeted name wipe for inactive accounts is nothing become of the community wouldnt be affected.
  12. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If they have to spend any amount of time on an unneeded name reclaim, that's time taken away from any number of things they could be working on instead (including further fine tuning the stat clamp and other recent changes).

Remember, the actual purpose of all previous name reclaim events were to deal with duplicate names when they merged servers (like the Mega-Server merge, or the merger of the Playstation and PC servers). The freeing up of inactive names was just a bonus, and not the primary purpose. If this was a simple, hassle free matter, or if they wanted to free up names they would likely do it more often. The fact that they don't should be a clear indicator that they do this with a specific purpose in mind.
    • Like x 5
  13. the solowing Steadfast Player

Other games like WoW will grant you a name if the player has been gone for a period of years. During my time in WoW Mobius wasnt available, so i went with Xmobius, but i didnt want the X after awhile, so i ticketed a GM to ask them to free up the name and they did, and i paid to take it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/any-way-to-request-a-name-get-released/407177/3

I see no reason outside of gate-keeping to say no, as im a beneficiary of a unoriginal name that became original, and asked a GM from WoW to free up a name that i wanted and they granted my request.

A name purge wouldnt hurt most people who arnt coming back, its paranoia. Heck i pretty much exclusively use 1 single character, and the name wipe hasnt targeted any of my characters (who see less then 1% use anymore), if people lose their names, let them come to the forum so they can tell us why a F2P user should be able to keep their name when they havent logged into their account for the last 6 years.
    • Like x 1
  14. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

A name reclaim is how I want them spending their time.
    • Like x 1
  15. the solowing Steadfast Player

Anyone active wont notice it, Legendary users likely will get a extended grace period so likely most of you on the forum wont notice it. Premium/F2P will likely be the overall targeted.

Hell i gotta worry about my house being deleted after 45 days of not touching it after putting years into it, having a name reclaimed from players who dont want to invest either time or money into this game over a period of years. Isnt much of a concern to me
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Since there is so much confusion over "we would like to do another name reclaim," here's the updated answer:
    • We have no plans to do another name reclaim. A name reclaim is not forthcoming. If a name reclaim happens in the future, it will be a change from the current plans.
    Please quote this response as the latest as of November 1, 2021. Thanks.
    • Like x 25
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.