Throne of the Dead is un PUGable

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dominic Blue, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

You can actually have your pets out if you stay completely on the other side of the room for the fight. I was just saying it's easier to code it out to accommodate DPSs that can't control themselves from spazzing around the room. I almost always left my pets on if I was not tanking and never had the issue because I'd stay by the entrance door. Now if the essence tank was dumb enough to drag it near me, yeah...the pet might attack, but it's not going from the entrance door to the front of the room by the throne by itself. Player placement corrects most of the issues any group would have...most just don't care to break their average attack routine to get the job done. 'WHAAAA? I can't range Ares because I'm practically on top of the essence when I do so'? 'How will I get my moar burn'?

And you don't need a pet to tank or kill the essence...none of the tank powers do....Earth can't jackhammer without brick suddenly? A tank can't agro without releasing sidekicks or henchmen or his T3 Motherbox?

As far as the DPSs go, I've seen a LOT of them dropping SCs on orbitals on Ares when he's ticking for 1s still, so not sure that losing a pet is any more impactful than all THAT loss of burn.

Sorry, those pet AIs are not much dumber than some of the players... and yet we don't code them out.

But agreed on the lowering of other player hits healing...if anything with the pet changes, it should have been ramped up. If the only thing anyone needs to do to finish this now is just tell the DPSs 'Don't hit the essence' anyone still doing so is either epically dump or purposely biffing the fight to be funny.
  2. TeflontheIcon Well-Known Player

PLEASE add reflection to the Essence of War!..just kidding... Or am I? XD
    • Like x 1
  3. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

It's really just ares health at this point. We get like 15secs to do damage so we're at the point of kicking anyone that isn't max built/ truly OP. My ST is great which means I'll never be healing in there. But we got to the point yesterday where we wanted to replace friends/ league mates because it was just taking forever and bring in the sweatys. It's just so long and boring
    • Like x 3
  4. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Lmao that would be hilarious. I second the idea!
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Just to clarify: you're saying players are using sc while hes invulnerable or dropping orbitals or both? You seem to have mistyped so not sure which but you can drop orbitals while he's invulnerable. But to back track on my earlier statement about dead kings, don't bother unless it's for the extra 20%. The extra beams it drops don't do any damage while he's invulnerable.
  6. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

That might make it easier as natural selection will weed out the people who refuse to follow instructions.
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Invulnerable....so ticking for 1 damage... useless attacks and loss of DPS(because they will be on cooldown when Ares is vulnerable 10-30 seconds later)....same as if they WEREN'T able to use pets or sideckicks. Yes, you CAN drop these when he's invulnerable (you can also drop them in the lobby before the fight starts though....so not sure what the difference is there) so, little or no impact to the end result which is knocking Ares out.
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

I for one am enjoying see people get reality checked here.
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

That's the part I'm not sure I'm getting. I'm saying you can always drop an orbital on him for the full amount of damage, doesn't matter if he is invulnerable. And that's why I was saying dead kings doesn't matter after all since the additional beams do not go thru his shield like the main orbital does.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok, well SCs don't then. My point was you are acting like losing the pet makes the run less than optimal, I'm saying most runs are less than optimal anyway even with the nerf/update. As much as this run was a PITA to pug it was also one of the best runs to demonstrate how communication and co-ordination would make the run go smoothly (and quicker too). Now its another dogpile like most of the raids in the game.

I was in a group again last night (queue up) where the tank tanked it all (cause you can now) and it took 2x as long as it would if we had separated the essence(healing from AOEs or whatever)...it was just more brainless pew-pew though. Which again....isn't that what we were trying to get away from?
    • Like x 1
  11. HymanRosen New Player

The problem with PUGging this raid was that people kept failing and dropping out, so you could spend an hour and a half trying to finish and still wind up disbanding. So while in theory, yes, people should learn the mechanics, and communicate, and all of that stuff, in practice, it was nothing but frustration.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they're different."
    • Like x 1
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I fail to see the difference in this or any other mechanic heavy raid. How about removing the double door locks in BBS or the split tunnel in Nexus?

If anything, I'd say you add a 1 shot reflect for the essence. After 20-30 times of dying hitting it even the dumbest DPS might learn not to target it....ok, maybe 40 times.
    • Like x 1
  13. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

So we should get rid of all mechanics that aren't extremely obvious? Like prison break, take the cogs out. Delete the card game in dm, take the seperate the bosses and the color thingy in ct. Basically just remove anything that makes it hard on pugs. Or we could do none of that and they either learn or leave. Imagine if spindrift didn't have bombs or the tubes? Everyone would get thru it. Seems lame. Would it save us from a ton of aggravation? Sure would. Would also be the most boring game ever. Happiness home may be completed by pugs if all mechanics are removed.

What the game really needs is event level content for all content. Anyone incapable or unwilling to do mechanics can go in there and get their currency and nothing else. They don't need op gear for that. Or even artifacts. Just complete mindless go in and get it I've with. Then reg can be what it should be, the same mechanics as elite, maybe a few less, but not as punishing and still have unlimited downs. Currency and drop rewards. Would keep a lot of players that aren't ready for elite in that realm vs them thinking they're ready for elite because normal is so easy.

Maybe myself and others are just too old for how gaming is now. It's seemingly all about being as easy as possible and being done as fast as possible. Up until about 4 years ago, if content was too hard, we got better. Now if something is too hard, it just gets removed. Which again, makes players thin they're elite capable so they respond to lfg and then cause whatever group they got into to suffer till they can be kicked. Sidenote: can we adjust the speed/ amount we can kick please? It has become way too neccessary to be stuck without for so long let alone only being able to do it once. Granted, we usually just tell the person they're the problem and they need to leave but that almost always causes drama.
    • Like x 1
  14. OnlyNomad The One Above All

The problem is that the forums community is completely disconnected with the game's community. I think the forums community underestimate how casual the player base is, people just don't care about mechanics, loadouts, etc. They just want to play a DC MMO and that's it.
    • Like x 5
  15. Boss Dark Side Well-Known Player

I think you've nailed it.
    • Like x 1
  16. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I'll agree with that outlook. But I don't think we're the only ones that aren't aware how casual the player base has become or the clamp would never have happened I'd think. But it goes right back to what I said previously, there needs to be 3 levels of difficulty for all content, event reg elite. Make it so omnibus is set to event level of difficulty and use the old menu to que anything else.
  17. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I agree with you and I honestly believe the devs themselves are also unaware of how casual their player base is.
    • Like x 3
  18. the solowing Steadfast Player

I for one will kinda throw the developers under the bus for this one, for allowing that mindset to take root by designing around it. It wasnt this bad until the cries for more burn and battle roles took over the forum several years ago.
  19. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I get that but at the same time, considering the IP we're dealing with here I understand the need to make the game as casual as possible.
    • Like x 3
  20. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Thanks Fam, much better.

Putting together a list of this level of mechanics ambiguity in other raids in another thread. But this fix made it much better, Thanks again.
    • Like x 1