Colour-Custom powers

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Ergotth, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Ergotth Committed Player

WHile the obvious request of colour customizing a power is Light.... wouldn't SORCERY also be a good candidate to allow you colour customization? The power itself run by two distinct colours, indigo and red (to the point before rage, Sorcery had the handblast re-coloured to blood-red) so it would be really neat to recolour our skills to a set of colours more fitting to our individual styles. Same for Light, obviously, this could allow players to be any lantern they want while keeping the most basic lantern power that is Light.
    • Like x 6
  2. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

It would be awesome I welcome it .
  3. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Yes to customizing our power colors as we see fit
    Huge NO to doing it to only the 2 powers you want as you suggest.
    • Like x 1
  4. Asentmah Well-Known Player

You got my vote!
  5. Ergotth Committed Player

Its not the powers I want, its the two powers that came into mind at the time I wrote this thread xD
    • Like x 1
  6. Dephyre Committed Player

it would be a dream, but we've been beating on this horse for a decade
    • Like x 1
  7. Ergotth Committed Player

but the game greatly improved customizations in these years. Who would've thunk 5 years ago that we would be able to put moving textures on our gear (Materials and Chromas)?
    • Like x 1
  8. ParadoxVanguard Well-Known Player

Would be amazing but honestly if it does happen realistically we the players would have to accept that Light and Rage would be the only powers color locked. I do think all the power colors should be changeable but Lantern powers are holding the idea back and I would be fine with them being as is. Lantern powers themselves are literally tied to Colors and not all Lantern powers function the same without breaking DC lore.
    • Like x 2
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So I'm almost 99% sure that custom-coloring abilities is never going to happen for any powerset, that would require a lot of back work and would probably result in a texture downgrade. Look at styles with FX where we can customize the color vs their color-locked counterparts, Luminous Gaze vs Eyes of Dusk for example. Look at Hard Light Shield vs Light Barrier.

If they were going to do this properly it would be through pre-set power skins. For Light and Rage they could with permission probably do a few things:
    Red/Green combo based on Guy Gardner for Rage
    Green/Blue combo based on Kyle Rayner for Light (hero)
    I'm not too familiar with Lantern lore so I'm not sure if there have ever been any Sinestro Corp members with multiple rings.
  10. Ergotth Committed Player

well, tiny tidbit, but Sinestro did wield the White light and Ultraviolet at some point, plus he IS a former Green lantern himself.
  11. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

But at the same time? Did any Sinestro Corp member have more than one power ring on at the same in the comics?
  12. Ergotth Committed Player

Oh definitely not at the same time. Although honestly it wouldn't be difficult for Sinestro to eventualy wield both Green and Yellow. There is no one more determined than an egocentric villain to have a lot of Willpower and the Yellow Ring draw power from the fear CAUSED by the wielder, so its not like it contradicts the Green, making the Yellow ring curiously the only one that draws power from the emotions that come from others than the wielder.
  13. ParadoxVanguard Well-Known Player

Red/Green Combo would be a waste though and wouldnt even make sense to do as we already have Green and Red lanterns in there. So it would defeat the purpose of people wanting to play as a whole different Lantern. And those would be more of a adjusted powerset vs a reskin. Especially the Green/Blue Combo which has its own set of issues. Finding a villain counterpart as Yellow/Blue isnt a thing, create blue lantern powers for the skillset which in that case might as well just make it its own power but issue 1 is relevant, and finally both combos are a mix-match of 2 different roles in Troller/Tank and Troller/Heal and I dont see them ever getting rid of DPS from anypower to make a pure support power.

But those would be some great legends characters though
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Playing as a whole different Lantern power is outside of what we're discussing. The subject is powerset reskins/recolors as an optional visual style. Since Rage and Light are the only two powersets we have that are defined by their color that makes it difficult to think of possible ideas for these two.

There are Lanterns in the comics that have wielded two power rings. Kyle Rayner (Light) and Guy Gardner (Rage) have Legends characters in-game that wield two power rings, that's one idea for how a Light and Rage reskin could look. As you said that wouldn't work out for Light's villain side. There is no dual power ring users in the Sinestro Corp in the comics that I can think of so this proably isn't the best idea.

Another idea for a Light/Rage reskin is to keep their existing color scheme but completely retexture and/or reshape the visual constructs into something new.
  15. ParadoxVanguard Well-Known Player

I am aware we are talking about reskins but have two lantern rings is not a reskin it is a addition or revamping the power all together. A reskin would be like star sapphire for Light because you would literally just change the power color and constructions to be star sapphire themed. But you cant say the topic is reskins if you are literally modifying the powerset because once a lantern has your example a controller powered Light ring and a tank powered Rage ring your reconstructing the powerset vs just a reskin.

I actually would be down for a reskin though in a example of different transformations for nature or different summons for Sorcery or different types of Golem pets for Earth. A reskin would be like changing Earth to a Sand themed power.

Also I am aware of the topic which is custom power colors, reskins was not the original topic but since you bought it up in the discussion you have to understand Lantern-Lore and Colors are tied together so you can not recolor a lantern without it being a completely different lantern and thus a different ring function therefore a different powerset. Doesnt matter if lanterns have wielded two rings in the comics the way the game works for players it wouldnt be possible most you can ask for is more Iconic powers with additional lantern abilities because again Rage getting a green ring wont reskin any of its power it will add extra powers to its existing but conflicting with the role system the game has in place. If every power got a reskin why would they waste resources to create a reskin for two lantern rings we already have in game.
  16. Ergotth Committed Player

Guys, guys, its just COLOURS! Nobody is talking about changing the powersets or the lore surrounding them. Changing the colour of any power, including Light/Rage should be considered NON-CANON! Its just player's choice of aesthetics.
    • Like x 1
  17. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

It would really be very nice and possible that nature has the option to customize the aesthetics of the powers, such as the powers of POISON IVY or SWAMP THING,
    [IMG]

If you pay attention to the spring event or Poison Ivy battles, her powers have a slight floral touch, and some pinkish vines, and obviously better graphics.

or simply to be able to change that strip of color (the orange of nature powers) to anyone, like the iconic solid shield.
  18. Ergotth Committed Player

Would be nice to heave a "seasonal" option for Nature where you can choose between Flourishing Green (Summer), Blooming flowers (Spring), Golden leaves (Autumm) and Frozen wood (winter) with just some snowflakes. Since the powerset is called NATURE, not just PLANTS, it could include some weather-based abilities to the aesthetics. (which also means Nature DPSs could mix some flight skills to their kit for fun)
  19. Zero303 Well-Known Player

eeew yellow snow powers...