So....we are deserters now?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So if Omni pops and it's a 'bad' run, and you cancel out...you 'deserted' now? While I get that this would be to curb people cherry picking the best runs, it seems to have killed the ability to get anything to pop for those who are accepting the runs as well. Ran some omni last night, and had way less pops than normal, and most went in and out with people dropping. I also saw more shouts than usual for 'need 1 (or 2) to queue in can then leave' or shouts for 'Someone please queue Omni alerts/raids and just hit X'. While that's kind of normal since the changes, it seemed much worse last night and the day before. I was kind of assuming that people queuing Omni got deserter a few times, then just said the heck with it and stopped queuing up.

While I get the 'deserter' penalty for walking out of an instance once started, I'm not sure it's a proper penalty for bailing out before you even walk in on a run. I know one time I had talked to an Army recruiter about signing up...but then opted not to join. I don't remember spending any time in Leavenworth for 'deserting'.

Was this intentional or a side effect of getting the deserter display on the new On-Duty screen?
    • Like x 2
  2. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

So its giving you a deserter penalty for not joining once the omnibus chooses your instance? Am I understanding correctly?
  3. Catastroflare Well-Known Player

Its aim seems to be more of a penalty than anything else and maybe to deter people from constantly cancelling their spot in the queue until, as you've mentioned above, found the instance they are looking for or desire to do. At least that's my impression.

/2cents
    • Like x 1
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Yes, that's what it's doing.

Consider:
    If you reject it and rejoin the queue, the same instance will keep popping up immediately. The fastest baked-in way to reduce the chance of its happening or avoid it entirely is to apply the deserter penalty and provide a minute during which someone else should be able to queue in and take the spot in the one you rejected. No, it doesn't guarantee you won't have the same instance pop up... just last night I kept getting Phantom Zone in spite of rejecting, waiting, etc.

If it weren't for the Journal Mission requiring that you queue via Omnibus (Custom Play does not count), I would do it by Custom Play all the time.
    • Like x 2
  5. The OmniScrooge Level 30

Yep, I get the same thing. Whether if I decide to not agree to join a mission or if I pop my head in and leave because of an unbalanced crowd ... ya know 4 tanks, 2 healers, and a dps -_- , i get a deserter penalty. If I don't agree to the mission and just requeue, I have to wait a full minute before the same raid pops up again.

Aside from the Omnibus Weekly missions, I stick to Custom Play only. I pick all the raids I feel like playing while unselecting the ones I don't. There I don't get penalties. Still haven't found a workaround to avoid penalties from leaving an instance just yet but i agree, shouldn't have to have a penalty if you didn't even strike a blow yet.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Correct, since the update.
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Hmm, I like the deserter penalty and like when I heard we'd get an indicator if it's applied to us. But it should only apply to leaving an instance once already queued in.
    • Like x 2
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yes, I'm only really talking about using it to clear the journal entry, but with 1 alert and 1 raid per toon I do it on, that's a lot of Omni runs (thank Jeebus the 'deserter' does not apply to solo runs you opt out of). And while the 1 min delay is a more guaranteed method of getting something different, it was not required. Even a 3-4 second delay would often net you a different run, especially on Thurs/Fri/Sat when more people are queuing in Omni to clear the journal, and more so if you are only queuing as DPS... which I often will JUST to avoid the re-entry to the same run that NEEDS a tank/troll/heal....but I don't want to run it (looking at you BBS/ToTD/Bombshell) due to time constraints or easily gobbed up mechanics I CAN'T tank/troll/heal the group out of.

I wouldn't mind it as much if you could opt out of the run that pops, then re-queue without going through the wonky new interface, or staying on it to hit circle-square-X-triangle again. It means you basically can't really do anything productive while you wait as you'll be in and out of the menu. Normally when queueing Omnis I'll stay in the screen and review what pops up, but I'm not normally sitting around for a min between each pop up....more like 5-10 seconds.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Good. Take whatever pops like a man :D
    • Like x 2
  10. Proxystar #Perception

No it shouldn't just apply after queued in. The reason this has been done is to stop people just queuing what they want in omnibus when it's supposed to be quite literally random.

To be honest I'd quite happily make the incrementally longer the more a person does it, for every abandoned queue an extra minute is added to the deserter penalty.
    • Like x 3
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

100% fine with it if you walk out on a started run. Honestly I'd be fine with a longer deserter for that, as people seem to bail out way to easy now (1 wipe? ARGH, I'M GONE!). I'm not looking to be in a run for hours either, but sometimes you can fail over a stupid mistake but learn from that mistake and then succeed...when people keep bailing, most times the group falls apart or you have to re-explain everything if a group of new users....much more frustrating than a wipe or 2 IMHO.
    • Like x 3
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Sadist.
    • Like x 1
  13. Proxystar #Perception

No. Masochist :p
    • Like x 1
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

That would be fine and dandy if my omnibus alert queues weren't 75% of Phantom Zone, 10% South Gotham Courthouse, 10% Darkness Rises and 5% "other".
    • Like x 3
  15. Proxystar #Perception

It's because you keep abandoning them, if you run them it puts that alert at the bottom of the cycle again ;)

Trust me, it probably works like that, maybe, possibly not, almost certainly not, but you should take the queue :D
    • Like x 1
  16. OnlyNomad The One Above All

This REALLY sucks for those of us with limited time. I like running Omnibus but some of the content is just not good a all or way too long for the amount of time one is allowed. I don't mind leaving the penalty for those leaving while inside the instance but adding a penalty for not joining or cancelling is awful.

Also, I'm still on the fence with the penalty for leaving while inside the instance. I've been having a hard time lately with Omnibus, especially on lower ALTS. Most of the people don't know how to play their roles and it makes everything a tedious chore. You also have people queueing as support roles but without any support role gear, people doing DPS in support role gear, etc. Sometimes I'll join a Omni raid and there's like 4 Tanks. You also get thrown into already disastrous instances or you get into groups where people don't listen and don't care, I don't know if the penalty is such a necessary thing.

I got thrown into a Throne instance the other day that had been rolling for close to two hours, I shouldn't be penalized for leaving that mess, lol.
  17. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Omnibus is fun when everyone knows what they're doing. People shouldn't get a deserter penalty for leaving an already started, mess of an instance. There's also too many imponderables in play to just blindly penalize people for leaving. I get the idea but I think it doesn't bring anything positive.
  18. Proxystar #Perception

It's currently 1 minute, I think you can handle a 1 minute deserter on a queue that you really despise, it's designed to add just a slight deterrent from doing so.

It's hardly extensively punishing, dare I say it, but I think you guys need to harden up a little.

The journal entries require you to run what 3 solos'duos, an alert and a raid every week, it's hardly difficult and certainly not on a high level main character.

There's no requirement to run omnibus on weaker alts, you can easily get enough source marks on an alt without ever stepping foot in on duty.

So realistically I think a bunch of you are making a mountain out of a molehill, with all due respect.

If you really don't want to take the queue, then take the minute penalty, it's not that big of a deal, at the very least it does its job to discourage people at least somewhat from just cherry picking absolutely everything.
    • Like x 2
  19. Proxystar #Perception

You clearly fail to see the purpose of the omnibus.

The omnibus is designed to run anything and everything, which helps newer players by allowing them an opportunity to run all types of content.

If people only used the custom menu then they would cherry pick content, making it more difficult for people to get in to less desirable content.

It's funny because the complaint about the deserter and a perceived right players believe they have to just bypass certain content they find less than desirable is the exact reason the omnibus exists in the first place.

If you want to complete those journal entries for the omnibus then you need to be prepared to run the omnibus, which means random or a 1min penalty, if you don't want to deal with the random nature of it, then hide the journal entries and stay out of omnibus, it's that simple.
    • Like x 2
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Was I defending Omni? I run it the minimum amount of times to get the loot...mainly the box as it comes with OP collections many times, but yeah...the source is nice too. I think a 'queue all' checkbox would also have worked(would have allowed for raid and alert queue up as well), but it would be the same thing I think. There are some runs no one really 'wants' to run with randoms...omni or custom.

Honestly I think the only thing they added Omni for was to give us something to force us to use the new screen. Personally I never use it otherwise, even when queuing the 3 newer eps and the STU stuff. 5x a week per toon for loot at MOST, then back to custom.