A name reset would be nice .

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Zaar, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaar New Player

Last one was in 2015 , it's like every name you can think of is taken by someone who doesn't even log into dcuo anymore .
    • Like x 9
  2. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]

However, if they come up with a way to open up naming without taking anything away from existing characters, I'd be all for it.
    • Like x 2
  3. Beat Active Player

No...Yes, these names need to be "taken" from inactive characters period (imo).

There is absolutely no reasoning or logic behind having a level 10 character with 5 SkillPoints who hasn't logged in since 2019 (at best) to keep a name, especially since DCUO is supposed to be "expanding" or growing in the future with more and more Active players who actually support the game

I could understand if DCUO was some game with 20 players and shutting down next year, but a game that's arguably growing every year in active player base recently, makes no sense not to have a name recycling system that benefits BOTH sides.

Active players who love their names AND playing DCUO keep em
    Inactive players who don't even support the game....the rest is history.
    (In My world atleast)
    • Like x 10
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Every name you can think of is taken? Or is it every name you in particular want is taken already?

I have to ask because the two aren't necessarily the same thing.
    • Like x 12
  5. Irvynnge Loyal Player

weirdly, I never ( ever ) have this problem. at best, I've had to rethink a name maybe two or three times max. if "every name" you can think of is taken, you need to up your naming game. get a dictionary, a thesaurus. use google translate. an example: you have a fire character? type "other words for fire" in google, & you get a list of 180-something different words from different languages, all meaning "fire". mix & match, alter spelling ( another example: I have an electric character I wanted to call "Volt", but that name, unsurprisingly, was taken, so I spelled it "Voltte" - problem solved ). be creative.
    • Like x 11
  6. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

No, they just need to institute a rolling purge of names that happens every so often to prevent the holding of names. You look @ half of those toons and they haven't even moved 3 steps in the Brainiac Ship. I can sympathize with the OP, however his suggestion will just lead to more people reserving more names to hold them even longer.
    • Like x 5
  7. Miss Adora Loyal Player

No we don't need a name reset, the last one we had, people sat on names to sell, they didn't want it, they just want it to sell it.
    • Like x 5
  8. Cordelia Well-Known Player

I'm 100% with you on this. I have never had an issue coming up with a creative name, although more than a few have taken me a few minutes. It's not that hard to be creative - if you want to be. Another method is adding a surname. So your favorite name is taken? What's the character's last name? Can't be John? Be John Smith. Or John Talonstrike. Whatever. It's not that hard.

If there was to be a name reclaim, this system is what I'd prefer to see. Every month, any account that hasn't logged in for some period of time (I'd say either 18 or 24 months) has all names reclaimed, with all names on the account reset to "Inactive ####" so the user knows why the name was reset if they ever do log in again. The issue with that, I suspect, is that a name reset token would have to be provided for every character on the account, unless a system could be put in place to automatically allow any character with a reset name to choose a new name once.

That said, any method they would use would require some development and testing, and I just don't see it happening. I wouldn't mind, as I wouldn't be affected - I have enough alts and don't plan to make more, I don't intend to change the names of any of my characters, and I log in often enough that I would hope a rolling name reclaim wouldn't affect me. All told, though, it is an interesting enough subject that I've been reading the threads when they come up every week or two with interest. Lots of good opinions along with one or two suspect ones.
    • Like x 1
  9. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Although I have given the suggestion years ago, I suppose I should mention that there is an option called ID what hundreds of games and apps use in order to allow their users display the name they actually like, and have an ID being displayed in their profile when inspected.
    Some might be offended by how they would have been able to report someone, and I'd say either the names could stay in recent chats for a longer period or there be an option to report directly from the game right away.
    • Like x 1
  10. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

I had to take K0S M0S instead of Kos Mos because of a toon that is sitting in the first police station without moving. A lot of times you can get the desired effect still tho.
  11. SuperCanuck New Player

Hasn't it already been stated that there is going to be a name reclaim sometime in the future, it just hasn't been determined when? I swear I thought Mepps said this somewhere, just can't remember where.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

Next reclaim will be when they do a server merger between two or more platforms.

At the moment, it's not necessary to do it.
    • Like x 4
  13. OnlyNomad The One Above All

This is the only MMO I've played where they do name reclaims. I don't understand the community's fascination with reclaiming names, perhaps some of ya'll need to be more creative?

I think of cool names once in a while and make an ALT to save the name, it would suck if those were to be reclaimed on the basis that some members of the community can't be more creative.
    • Like x 4
  14. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Even money says that a good majority of those highly desirable names are being held by people who snatched them up in the previous name reclaim. Your chances of getting something you want are stupidly low.
    • Like x 4
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Pretty much the reason why it will only happen during a server merge, where conflicts need to be resolved.
    • Like x 2
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

The way the name reclaims have worked in the past, if you still logged into your account around the time of the reclaim, you wouldn't lose your names...even on alts that don't get played. They look at account activity not character activity.

It's for that very reason alone that a regular name reclaim cycle would be pretty useless. If JoeDemonio is holding on to 20 popular names and he knows that every 60 days they will do a name reclaim and it affects people who haven't had any account activity in that time, all he would have to do is log in a few times in that period. That would basically make a regular reclaim useless for the purpose of getting a name that has been held "hostage" for a long time.
    • Like x 2
  17. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Got it. But I still don't understand the need of name reclaims outside of the lack of creativity. I get that some accounts might be inactive but even then. the person thought of the name first and so they should have every right to keep it. Who knows if they'll ever come back.

It's just a bizarre thing to me after having played plenty of other MMOs, if the name you want is taken it's usually just "too bad", be more creative. Even the fact that there's a pretty big market within the game for buying/selling names is so strange.
    • Like x 4
  18. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I always pride myself on coming up with creative names. If I try something and it's taken, I don't even try to come up with an alternate version of it.

It always reminds me of that scene in the second Kick-***, when his friend just picks a color-swapped version of his costume and the name "***-Kicker".
    • Like x 1
  19. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

This is way overdue. Mepps has repeatedly confirmed that they plan to do it but have no ETA. It could happen next year, the year after that, or five years from now for all the ambiguity in their plans. With the 10-year anniversary at the beginning of the year you'd think this would have been well under way already.
  20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

We have a society that feels that if they can want something, they should be able to have it, the end. Nevermind that someone already got to it first and all that. Is it annoying that someone is sitting on a name and not doing much with it...sure...so what. You get over it an move on.

I do however support other options for names like adding an extra space, which allows for more naming options...like my name would be Khalon of Ogun, but since we're only allowed one space it would either be Khalon OfOgun or KalonOf Ogun (since neither looks good to me I went with putting it as one word KHALONofOGUN...not perfect either but it is what it is).
    • Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.