Your Theory on the Tank Shortage

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BaelinFishman, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

This couldn't be no more true than the DPS's worrying about their numbers instead of reviving downed players.
    • Like x 1
  2. Proxystar #Perception

He's a delightful chap.
    • Like x 1
  3. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

no no no...

what I do now is MUCH worse. If I'm Tanking and I don't like what you're doing, I stand behind you, and I maintain aggro.

I maintain Aggro.

While you're between me and the target.

I killed the same person four times in a row last night using this method during a Bounty I was trying to solo. On a related sidenote - If you see a Fire Tank by themselves fighting Doomsday?

They picked that fight intentionally, and there's a reason why they're fighting solo. Ask if they need help; the answer may shock you, they might say yes. If they say no, well, that's why Doomsday keeps jumping in your lap.
    • Like x 3
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Tank: Big Skull means Block.
    DPS1: What am big Skull?
    DPS2: What am blocks?
    Tank: .... big... Skull... means... Block
    DPS1: Me not know what block ams.
    DPS2: FIRE TANK BAD!!
    DPS4-9: *howling, gesticulation, the throwing of fecal matter*
    • Like x 5
  5. CCPONCHO Well-Known Player

That first boss can be hell in certain groups. Especially if you are dealing with groups that want to stand still and just press buttons. The best way to tank it is just to keep your distance from the boss meleeing you and block all it's lunges to knock it down.
  6. Proxystar #Perception

The tanks a problem start the vote kick, and watch out healer you're next!
    • Like x 4
  7. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Bizarro approves this message.:D
    • Like x 2
  8. spikeat Well-Known Player

The tank population has always been low because they bear the most responsibilities. Everyone expect the tank to run the instance as if they developed the content itself. As a tank, you need to know almost all the mechanics and plan ahead. Be familiar with all bosses' attacks, which one OHKO, any adds that have special abilities to nullify you and find the best positioning to tank. Tanks also have to know where adds will spawns during boss fights and constantly keep an eye out if any adds are attacking the group. All this while keeping your specific tank power buff up. I rarely run into tanks that knows counters anymore, although a lot of times it doesn't work on bosses.

Currently we are seeing a higher request for tanks is because the batman segment for STU is too easy. That's why we are seeing so many groups forming for ISE and FRE, it's because these 2 elite instances are currently easier than when it was relevant. It would be better if the Devs made the current elite difficulty of ISE and FRE to be regular, and then create a harder elite version.

I have all the tank powers and it's not required to have max gear, sp or arts, but the less that you have the less error you're able to make. In regular instances I can tank for hours without dying, unless it has some timer mechanic. It's hard to teach an inexperienced tank when you run into them in a raid. It's not easy like telling a trol to throw power. You can't take up 7 strangers time trying to teach an inexperienced tank basic tank mechanics. They would be overwhelmed with boss, adds, floor aoe and any other mechanic stacking together. The sad part is that the game doesn't teach you how to tank.
    • Like x 3
  9. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

so in fact you have an extra shield..... the meat shield lol
    • Like x 3
  10. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Well....

In my opinion, I think there are not a lot of players not using the Tank role because of different points of view of how the Tank role should work and what powers/abilities it should have. Those different points of view and expectations seem to not fit well with how the Tank role works in this game and what the general player base expects of them, therefore, less players are willing to take up the Tank role.
  11. Magg Redd Well-Known Player

I don't see why we have a tank shortage, I mean who does not like being the most popular person at the orgy? ...you know with all the DPS's constantly spooning the tank and all...

I agree with a majority of the people, with any support roll it is just a big blame game especially by the DPS's who usually do nothing but stand there and go pew pew pew. If the tank looses agro either its the tank, or the troll was not giving the tank power, if the tank dies it was the healer, or the troll not giving the healer power....if the troll dies, the tank just pulls the boss ontop of the troll to hide the body and no one notices...but in all seriousness, no one wants to play when they are berated and belittled even if they make a little mistake.

Someone else also said it right, that tanks need to be the leaders and lead the charge into battle, they have all the defense and are good at pissing the ads off so they pay attention to them...I mean you could send us trolls and we could stun the ads for a few seconds, but when they broke free, we would pass out from fear of being hit. I have unfortunately run with a few tanks over the years that deep down maybe were closet trolls, cause they would stand there and wait before someone else would attack before jumping in.
  12. zNot Loyal Player

Very well said agreed with everything
  13. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Interesting theory, however your first point is fairly obvious "how the tank role should work". I mean we all know what a tank does now. Sure their are ways it can be improved, some things like sunning should be the CONTROLLERS job not the tank, yet I see all the time "tank stun the adds". But I write those people off a morons and move on with my day. But then again the screwed controllers over in that aspect because post revamp the avg stun lasts less than 3 seconds even when you have far and above the required dom.
  14. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

I think you're agreeing with 1 very specific aspect "too easy". Because if someone says something is too easy or too hard to show up like Beetlejuice and berate the person saying its too hard or agree with the person saying its too hard. My observation over time has shown you to be completely unobjective. And proof of that is bullet point number 1 in your signature.
  15. zNot Loyal Player

@mepps is this some sort of blacklisting? Its my opinion to agree with her got a problem with me agreeing ?
  16. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Way too many comments to try an respond and im not fittin ta read em all either at work. I skimmed a few early ones an wanna toss my 2cents in (feel free tell to shove off, its already covered an the convo has moved on an been hijacked to a clamp argument as im sure it as its happening to most threads hahaha).
    Anyway:
    1) a good group can carry a bad tank so in most cases, its prob not the tanks fault specifically (it does happen tho)
    2) yes, alot of players (almost always pew pew’s get toxic an start tossing blame immediately and dont ever attempt to be constructive (shame on them for sure
    3) as often as the tank gets blamed, so does the healer. We need more tank/heal love in this game not less. To combat this, my personal attempt is to immediately blame the Dps when this happens (even tho i am one lol). I try an mitigate it before the blame an start explaining mechanics and what i saw each player do wrong an do right.

The more specific:
    1) if dps’s are expecting the tank to do pickups then you tell em shove it, kick them, and invite me and i will put on a clinic on how to score pickups as a dps. Prob solved
    2) i would argue that survivability and utility and teamwork is a lost art on dps’s in this game. The golden rules i learned when i was running gates or fos’s or prime or whatever all at relevancy was that tanks job is to tank (and ONLY tank). Healers job is to heal (and ONLY heal). Trolls job is power (back then, now they can do all sorts of nifty stuff like turn me into a 1 man wrecking ball by buff trolling etc) and trolls also helped w/mechanics an pickups. Dps’s job was to kill 1st, do pickups and mechanics 2nd and 3rd they were to at least attempt to stay alive on their own while
    Positioning etc.

Now, that said, its storytime……
    Went into FFe early in the DLC (yes we were farming it, dont judge) and we lost our bottom dps to real life. No one had one they teust but i had one on list that was on. I disclosed he is not a good dps but is a warm body to fill the spot an the team said lets go. I invited an he was all too happy to carried through.
    Well, fight starts, he stands directly in the circle, dead….. immediately blames healer (we correct him and explain the circle).
    Round 2, fight starts, he stands directly in the strafe, dead…… immediately blames healer (we correct and explain not to stand in the red)
    Round 3, fight starts and guess where he stands… directly in the red cone, dead…. Immediately boames healer and he starts explaining hes not gonna carry us if he cant be healed (we were all at about 3/4 elite gear and 2 raids away from max renown and we have a good laugh an kick him.
    He wont speak to me to this day which is fine.
    Moral of the story, well, healers suffer this too. Just onow theres plenty of players out there that know better and hold support roles (trolls too) in high regard so dont pay any attention to these ***** pew pew dps’s who dont have a clue.
    • Like x 1
  17. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Beetlejuice is a character from a movie

[IMG]
  18. myandria Item Storage

Well, from my experience, the tank role works differently across different game genres. This game does not require much strategic use for a tank and that can be difficult to deal with if that is what a player is used to. For example, I am used to utilizing a tank in a main role and a secondary role. I cannot do that in this game within a raid, so I always play solo/walk-ins with my tanks.
  19. BaelinFishman Well-Known Player

Touche, in other games tanking is much harder. I've seen tanks that think they're hot s*** in this game and if they go to another game they get their a**es handed to them on a platter. Admittedly though tanking is more involved than it was before where in you just popped a power and blocked until you popped another power/shield.
    • Like x 1
  20. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

For me, I feel that the tanking meta has slowly shifted over recent years, but going back to older content has been a sharp return to the old meta and the newer tanks can't cope with it.

There are pretty much two types of tank in this game. 'Turtle' tanks, who curl up into a ball and take everything that's thrown at them, and 'Kite' tanks who constantly move around the room, dragging all the enemies behind them. In the most recent episodes, the meta shifted towards 'Kite' tanking, (which I personally hated...) but now we're back playing older content, 'Kite' tanking doesn't work as well because you're forced to hold your ground and 'Turtle' a lot more. 'Kite' tanks are set up differently, so generally they can't hold that much aggro at once, and tend to die fairly quickly when they're suddenly required to hold their ground.

Personally I've always hated 'Kite' tanking. It's always felt like a somewhat selfish and impatient playstyle, and it's really annoying trying to chase after a group of adds when you're a dps. I've always been a 'Turtle' tank, and I love it, purely because of the fact that I can walk into a room and just take control of the situation, take the heat off of my team and keep all the adds in one place for them to just light up.

I think that's why there are less tanks around at the moment. Too many 'Kite' tanks who can't stand their ground.
    • Like x 1