Your Theory on the Tank Shortage

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BaelinFishman, Sep 23, 2021.

1. BumblingB I got better.

There's a tank shortage?!?!?!?!1111
    • Like x 1
  2. Noxious Flora Well-Known Player

To be fair, if you pull aggro from a tank, it is their fault (in most circumstances).
    • Like x 1
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Also, I think it's a fair point to state that a lot of people just don't want to care about deeper game systems -- they just want to shoot stuff and don't want to heal or tank in general. Especially in a superhero game they don't want to play fantasy game role tropes -- players here are looking for a superhero simulator / experience. So these are things that should be kept in mind from the outset when designing systems like these for a game like this.
    • Like x 5
  4. Magnificent Loyal Player

Nor even understands it.

Tanks should always be the first to engage in challenging content ("challenging" meaning non-tanks have a 50-50 chance of dying if there is no tank, so this can mean large groups of trash mobs as well as bosses) because of their extra Defense, Health and aggro management. It's rare for me to run as a tank in a PUG and not have some DPS running ahead to engage trash (and sometimes even boss) mobs first. I find it interesting to see how many times they have to die due to charging ahead before they get the hint.

On the other hand though, I've been a DPS in quite a few PUGs with someone else as a tank and the tank seemed to be waiting for someone else to attack first.

Beyond that, the more SP, the higher the Augs and Arts, etc. a DPS has, the easier (and thus faster) it is for a DPS to run the solo content. For me this means my Tank stats take a back seat to DPS. This may change now with the Omnibus queues popping fast, time will tell.
    • Like x 3
  5. OnlyNomad The One Above All

100%. My wife strictly plays healers in any MMO we play together. Her nurturing nature makes her gravitate towards that sort of role.
    • Like x 2
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I edited my comment so you might not agree anymore. ;)

But yes, that's one of the oldest criticisms from beta for this game -- it was never designed with the roles in mind. If you really analyze how the game plays it shows. The game was originally designed around a 2 role (tank/dps) system and all players recovered their own health and energy. But they tacked on the fantasy role trope late in beta because they wanted the game to be more like WoW and chased its success. There was originally no healers in the game. Didn't exist. And I think the game would have been more successful if they hadn't done this; forcing the roles onto this genre is a round-peg-in-square-hole situation.
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Lately I can usually find a tank faster than a healer.
    • Like x 1
  8. OnlyNomad The One Above All

[IMG]

Edit: 100% agree on that last statement.
    • Like x 2
  9. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

The worst part about Tanking is that the OTHER Roles don't understand what tanking entails and thus makes your job so much harder. How many dps either rush ahead into add swarms before you can even get around a corner to pull them and they end up KOed? How many dps hang around your waist, literally shadow your butt refuse to give you room and when you pull said add group they're the first to go down if you lose any agro? How many dps refuse to do toggle mechanics or pick-ups and then they wonder why when the tank has to throw a shield up and do it instead we wipe? How many dps see the tank struggling with juggling and pulling huge groups of adds and refuse to focus AOE damage on the adds so we can go thru content as fast as possible but go nah let's skip adds let the group die and rush to the boss room and trigger the instance without even the healer being there? How many healers refuse to priority heal so the tank can get some relief or refuse to group shield cause sorry I'm using my lvl 30 load out from six years ago and wanna battle heal instead? How many trolls refuse to power replenish ok maybe they'll debuff/buff? Nope? Maybe they'll crowd control or stun? Nope? Any shields too? Nope? Ok maybe they'll do toggle mechanics or pick-ups too? Nope? Ok maybe they'll at least help with damage? Nope? What is the troll literally doing than being useless? Do you know how many times as a Tank I had to, kill adds myself, kill boss myself, heal myself, power replenish myself, do pick-ups and mechanics myself? BECAUSE OTHER ROLES REFUSE TO DO THEIR ROLES?????!!!!!! So yeah I feel like no one wants to Tank because there's literally three/seven other players trying their best to not allow you to Tank in the first place. Because they not only don't understand how Tanking works they also don't understand how to do their roles either. And this is the Stone Cold Truth. Now I'll expect the usual classic "naw git gud as a Tank, it's your fault" arguments which are factory settings default in DCUO for some reason.
    • Like x 2
  10. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Although I agree with some of your statements, I feel like some of them are not entirely right.

1. This can also be a result of really good tanks running through stuff and pulling a lot of adds. People get used to certain speeds and efficiency and it can lead to confusing situation where they think all the tanks can do the same thing. Communication is key here.

2. Again a lot of people are victims of their powersets. Rage and Earth being very limited range-wise can lead to those type of situations.

3. See #2, a lot of powers with really bad AOE abilities.
  11. Solarbound Committed Player

As a tank, I can tell you that it's as simple as this. We get so tired of the narrative being pushed our way that if something goes wrong in the raid, "blame the tank." It's not that tanking is hard, which it isn't. Although, a greater deal of responsibility can come with tanking. It's the underappreciation that we are constantly receiving. The lack of acknowledgement from players of other roles who don't take accountability for when THEY make mistakes. And, boy, how many times I've seen that. One can only take so much of such behavior from others; you know?

You wanna talk about theory? Here's the fact. The reason why there's a shortage of us tanks in this day of DCUO is because the toxicity of the community made us this way. See what being ungrateful gets you? You're welcome, guys;)
    • Like x 4
  12. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Interesting. That also explains why trolls are useless/next to useless (well, along with the poor decisions made during stat revamp regarding actually controlling things and auto-PoT). They shouldn't have even existed in the first place.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

There was a thread about not wanting tanks or healers in duos just a couple of days ago.

Really, if you get beat down enough verbally, you just stop altogether.
    • Like x 2
  14. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

My guess needs an intro story plus I know everyone loves my stories. I'm fairly new to tanking, but regular is easy enough so some league mates and I blind qued SGE. My mentor was with and walking me thru/ giving me tips. We're obviously in league chat. Big rooms, adds spawn pretty far away in almost all the fights so scooping them up can take a second. Had 3 others not in league with us. Literally would take about 5 secs to get the adds each time. No one is dying or getting close to it. Plus, it's easy raid pre clamp so we weren't going at it 100%

"Trash tank" "noob tank" "garbage tank" within those 5secs. Like how anyone can even type that fast is beyond me. Personally, I don't care since I'm literally in there wearing my student driver cap. But if I was the type to care about others opinions of me, that would have been my last time tanking.

Next time it happens, 100% switching to dps mid fight and enjoying the wipe since I'm sure none of them can dual role
    • Like x 1
  15. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  16. Solarbound Committed Player

Yep, that's just another example. I'll never understand that mentality.
    • Like x 1
  17. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Raid goes well=thanks goes to the Healer but not the Tank too.
    Raid goes wrong=blame the Tank but no one else.
    • Like x 1
  18. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

It's the most intimidating role to play. Most people aren't confident enough in their ability to lead something they have no experience with. Healers? They can sit in the back and people are generally accepting of the idea of running 2 if necessary. Troll? They sit in the back and as long as the debuffs are on the boss, people are getting buffed, and there is power... nobody worries about them.

The tank is the only one that has to think about every attack/mechanic a boss has. He has all eyes on him at all times. If he makes a mistake... the whole group feels it. It's just a lot more pressure to perform in high end content.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

It's funny how this dynamic changed after the introduction of artifacts and the stats revamp.

It used to be blaming the controller for not feeding enough power. Oh man, the toxicity was the reason I stopped being a controller. It was the only role that was hated for trying to do it's role.

Anyways, yeah, now it's about whether or not you could handle the hate against the boss or you grabbed the adds the moment it spawned.
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

yeah, and really - it seems like a lot of people coming up to "end game" content right now are a little used to having been carried or developed a DPS/other role mentality through sparring targets or youtube videos, and as a result when you dump them into an end-game PUG Raid, things go sideways because no one plays ball with Tank rules either. like "don't start the fight before the tank does" and "if you DPS at melee range, stand opposite the Tank", which leads to a lot of "well the Tank let me die".

well, I didn't LET you die, you tried fighting Trigon solo with the equivalent of a half-cooked keilbasa and it worked exactly as anticipated, but when the entire group falls apart because one guy goes down, pickup fails, domino effect, someone's getting blamed for that...
    • Like x 5