SERIOUS problem with elite content in this game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by NotMeMaybe, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Yaiba Committed Player

You want to turn elite contents into oneshot fest? :D
  2. NotMeMaybe Active Player

If you know what one shots you you get one shotted less or even not at all, but many ppl prefer to just call it "one shot fest".

Ill call one shots fest when content is severely overtuned or buggued, or when the tells and calld before one shots are bad which is the case in dc for some raids, exemple red arrow barely visible etc.
  3. zNot Loyal Player

You mean the 5 DPS setups with a buff troller? That One shot feast? Thats the actuall issue.
    • Like x 1
  4. timetrapper52 Well-Known Player

Totally Agreed I'm playing FFXIV rn and the boss fights are so fun to experience with many mechanics and attacks and phases it all comes together well. DCUO has none of this its so boring most of the fights is tank and spank. They need to change the way there designing there boss fights to be more enjoyable overall not just elite. There should be moments where every role is tested, Multi Attacks to avoid etc. I was going to make a post about boss fights but idk if my wording will be good but I like your examples here. I wonder if any of those stuff is possible to implement we would have to give examples of good mechanics in the game already and try to combine all of those into a raid to make something like a ffxiv raid which I would love to see
    • Like x 2
  5. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Problem is 4 man SMs compared to the 8 man SMs isn't really that hard, its an event balanced more for most players, due to the desirable rewards offered.

It's a difficult one to balance but if there is a really desirable reward for beating something legit hard then there is a good chance there will be numerous complaint threads on the forums - enough to make the stat clamp seem like a long distant memory.

Finding that balance will be near on impossible and no-one on this thread will be happy enough with the result, regardless of where you stand in the community (casual or elite).
    • Like x 2
  6. zNot Loyal Player

7. Proxystar #Perception

Do you want the challenge or the reward? Is the challenge not the reward? I sometimes wonder whether the expectations aren't always a bit too high.

All there needs to be is some sort of highly desirably single cosmetic item to chase like SM and the people will play for it.

It doesn't need to be a full set of better gear and entire exclusive style set, better mods etc.

Exclusive auras that are tradeable etc would be plenty enough for elite and getting rid of the extent of the reward pressure point would make balancing the difficulty that much more easier without the pressures that come with ensuring a wider range of players can complete the content.

That being said, difficulty is subjective and the developers are the ones that ultimately have to decide how big the audience is they're trying to attract with any given level of content, elite included.
    • Like x 2
  8. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Maybe I should elaborate (sorry was at work). If we tie difficult content to progression, or even have plenty of desirable rewards in said difficult content if its not tied to progression, it will create a lot of complaint threads on the forums. Everyone will want/need or feel the need to access to finish that content to get the best gear or desirable rewards for that content. If content is too difficult, everyone will complain on here eventually leading to the content being nerfed. Then this will ostracise the players who want to *play* fun, challenging content in the game rather than just to *look* at the game.

This is where I suggested extreme difficulty, content not necessarily tied to progression but especially challenging with a lot of fun mechanics at once for those players who do want a challenge.

Regarding the players being entitled, I was more referring to the rewards/need for episode progression. Some players want to look at the game, and may want a particular style for their toon that only drops from elite (or harder) content - but they don't desire to run that content.

On the flip side, I am tired of paying my money for content being nerfed and stripped of all substance to cater to casual players. It never used to be like this but has become increasingly so with time.

Of course, some level of irony is recognised here, so I will give you that at least.
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Actually I disagree with this part because it disrupts the heirarchy of content being established.

SM is supposed to be the pinnacle of challenge and difficulty, Elite raids should not be scaled to realistically be like SM.

However, If we are to use SM as a comparison in terms of difficulty though then in my personal opinion, the difficulty of elite content should fall within the realms of the difficulty contained between rounds 10-20 of SM.

This creates a very clear distinction between difficulty categories with the final 10 rounds of SM remaining the pinnacle.
  10. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Besides base items (which would be available in all versions of that content and tradeable), and companion pets which wouldn't do anything besides stand there, no. No feats (or at least no feats that would contribute to SP progression), and any other rewards would be available in easier and more accessible versions of that content. I made it clear (hopefully) that having desirable/special rewards in proposed hard content would be risky in this community and advised against it. I would like that but the complaint threads on here would be beyond anything we have seen on here ever.

Apologies if you misinterpreted my posts otherwise.
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyEPK5bKqj_nE4M-XucChJQXbJnEZuB6u

I have recently started a YT series comparing the mechanics between the two games. They are more similar than you think.

If we had more room mechanics and distinct phases in a boss fight, we might get somewhere. Example like second boss in False Idols. Maybe it wouldn't be *that* much harder, but it certainly would be more interesting and fun imo.
  12. BumblingB I got better.

The thing is, Elite content really isn't that content you suggest, that is what SM is supposed to be. Escalating challenging difficulty that doesn't affect progression, because you are supposed to be already at the top progression.
  13. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Styles aren't as much of a big deal in FFXIV as they are in DCUO. Being DC Comics related does come into play here.

Also scoreboards aren't really a thing so the focus is entirely on the content design, and high damage is needed for certain damage checks. You do need to complete certain endgame content in order to access the highest gear however. For example you need to run multiple times certain raids in order to drop an antique head piece or chest piece, and if you get enough of them you can exchange it for an endgame head gear or chest gear to boost your stats. With that said there is more than one way to get a similar item level gear piece from other endgame content (more so in later patches of an expansion) though the style may be different.

Savage difficulty content is legit difficult and complex in terms of mechanics, not just something you can burn the boss through. There is gear tied to that as well.

FFXIV is different though as there are expansions once every couple years as supposed to episodes every few months. So the progression is different.
    • Like x 1
  14. EconoKnight XIII Legion

And that’s where over-leveling was the equalizer. Want your BDSM elite challenge? Great. Have at it. I’ll wait three years until I have a chance at it.

But no. That’s offensive. I’m not supposed to ever play it. EVER. How dare filthy trash like me EVER tarnish your gleaming, god given shine?

So screw it. I don’t have to pay for it. Pay for it yourself.
    • Like x 2
  15. zNot Loyal Player

Ok interesting i personally really love a progression based on difficulty i mean we had that during OC where the best gear came from the raids that were hard to defeat.
    • Like x 1
  16. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

What?

The only thing I can digest from whatever this post is meant to be is that you are responding with your feelings. And my opinions (and I acknowledge that they are just my opinions) offend you.

There's nothing constructive in being offended and writing posts like this over someone else's opinion.

Nothing may come of my opinion. I don't work for Dimensional Ink. This is a forum where there are a lot of players with strong opinions. Even other players on the elite side have disagreed with certain points I have made here. But we discuss them in a way that is constructive and brings more nuance to the conversation we are having here.
    • Like x 1
  17. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

The Copied Factory comes to mind in regards to difficulty and obtaining the necessary items to trade in for better gear and then to take said gear and level it up in Eulmore. The Copied Factory always leaves me tired and drained. I usually log off after I visit the Mender lol.
    • Like x 1
  18. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I prefer Tower at Paradigm's breach out of the Nier raids. That's always a fun one to run. The music in those raids is really nice as well.

I guess the other thing is there are various gear routes to go to gear up. You can gear via the Eden raids, and/or the Nier raids, and/or just the regular Tomestone gear sets. Again this is tied into the progression through expansions.
    • Like x 1
  19. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

There are so many different ways all of what you have mentioned could be integrated into DCUO, even the Alliance runs. Elite and normal could all benefit from the examples you have mentioned.
    • Like x 1
  20. Proxystar #Perception

That there is a significant primary difference as well, not to mention the fact FF14 is realistically a subscription only model, which isn't tolerated by this community.

DCUO by comparison is a rat race, and the content is designed with that mentality in mind, DC doesn't give you the time to sit there and build towards actually completing something difficult.

DCUO's mentality is basically, new elite content pops, must beat it day one so I can replace my elite gear with other elite gear because replacing it with normal gear is a waste of time/marks/money.

The fact that DCUO now doesn't even charge for its DLC content as opposed to $60 FF14 expansions only serves to heighten this rat race mentality as does simply the sheer existence of things like replay badges.

The reality is they're two very different games from a structural sense which allows for a very different approach to the scaling of difficulty within the content itself because players again don't have that rat race mentality to progress so quickly.

It is my opinion that until DCUO entirely changes the way it structures and approaches its progression and even the lengths of progression windows, it won't change.
    • Like x 3