DEV Question: Why the high count feats? Is spam the way the game was meant to be played?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Reinheld, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So as we've gotten back to getting the game 'how it was meant to be played', was that including the fact we SHOULD be running the same raid 5 times a week? Because there is a 250 'STU raid' count, and while that does include the 50 Elites, if you don't run those first, it's really like 300 raid counts for STU. So, if we run the raid once a week as you would assume you would do 'naturally', that's 2.5 or 6 years of running that same raid (or in this case that same 'class' of raid as we are changing it now). A 'natural' number of runs would be more like the 50 that are on Elite. That's doable in a year if you ran every week, quicker if you hit it a 'few' times maybe on a bonus week. This may ease off a bit if at some point all 3 raids are live at once(not communicated at this point), but that's still going to end up being 84 weeks, or 1.5 years of running the same 3 raids each week.

250 for solos and duos...sure, That's a years worth of daily runs taking a few days off here or there. 250 raids?...5 years worth of re-running? No, sorry, that's just more 'forced' re-runs for no purpose other than to fulfil this count. At least in the Bountyverse and Long Live the Bounty DLCs, the side currency and OP crystal drops provided some OTHER incentive for the runs...things you needed to fulfill other needs due to the artificially high prices on the Aether and Time Beacon vendors...here it's strictly counts and counts alone. And I get you can 'always work on them later'...but 5 years later? Isn't that a bit excessive?
    • Like x 5
  2. BumblingB I got better.

I was never fond of the old school classic counter feats. I always felt they were uninteresting feats. No skill, just complete.

In the response to this, I think it was meant to be something not completed day one and something to look forward to when it swings back around. Unfortunately, they did that with LPVE and we all know what happened with that. It ended up a spam fest...

Yeah, not a fan.
    • Like x 6
  3. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I agree, was never a fan of counter feats myself. I always felt like they were a way to pad lackluster content. Especially those recent bounty counter feats and such.
    • Like x 1
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't mind counter feats, but they should be budgeted for an appropriate amount of runs over the 'life' of a DLC. Even some of the worst like bottle duo 250s or the 500 CC bounties would be done within a few months and were dailies when they launched. That's a pretty natural amount of runs if you are running daily. Granted, doubling back now they are daunting added to the other ton of things we need to do, but when created they worked in the confines of a 2 or 3 DLC 'current' amount of runs. 250 STU raids does not. Image coming up on that one if you start in a year or 2. "I gotta run FOS2 or Inner 250 times?" At least ToTD is short....if it's not a fail on 1st boss.

And yes, we can always speed things up by spamming. It's an option many will take even when it's not needed (I remember everyone trying to complete the Generals list day 1 of FP....Like we weren't going to have to knock out 2 each week for the next 3-9 months), but when the only other option is a 5 year run of the same raid, yeah...spamming is the ONLY option that makes sense. Same with the 2 feats for the 1st 'boss' in FGS. 75 total for both feats, but at least those are not complete runs. That's just over 18 months if you ran 1 a week...most will stop running weekly after the year 'current' window is over....then it just becomes 'ok....just spam it'. We should be being encouraged to run things weekly vs in one big spamming session.
    • Like x 1
  5. Plowed In Loyal Player

Some people like having some “loose” direction. All feats aren’t for everyone. I liked the KO 10,000 enemies in PVP :)

I think 1000 would be excessive (looking at you LPVE), 250’s a chase, in my opinion.
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I think the day one mentality is what happens in this game for all. Especially when it deals with open world content or just not fun instances. Players get them all as fast as they can and just do whatever is the easiest for the rest of the time until the next DLC. Which leaves newer or players that had to take a break, SOL.

Which makes at least the EEG clamp changes helpful. There is a reason to go back to these big bounties, even if you aren't trying to spam it, there will be players wanting to hit it each week for the 8 marks available. Plus, a chance at that chase style/pet. I mean, if you needed the apok generals in WV, you will get them. (I still need the first 3, about 20 away for each. lol)
    • Like x 3
  7. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I don't think Feats should have been tied to character progression in the first place. They should have honestly been things to chase for a rare style or title.
    • Like x 2
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I like a 'chase' as well. The last bounty I spammed day 1 was the M2 ones...which I then regretted when Synn launched and to get him 25 times, I had to AGAIN go after Nth metal Golem 25 more times. At this point I'll try to pick off 1 or 2 each week I'm doing the weeklies (Still don't have the 50 princes or portals done) and yeah If I see someone shouting for a good spam phase, I'll pop in for 1 or 2....but no more.

250 raids means one of 2 things....5 years or multiple times a week....that's not a 'chase'....it's a chore.

And I'm at like 7900 of those 10K....yeah, that's a chase.
  9. Plowed In Loyal Player

I would agree, but 10 years in…do you see an easy way to change it now?
  10. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

It's too late now but I always thought it was a not so smart decision. I'd also make the decision to just not add any more skillpoints in the game. We don't have to max out the trees. We should have to make hard decision about how we want to spec.
    • Like x 1
  11. Plowed In Loyal Player

Say it with me, “It’s ok to have feats that are unfinished in my menu.” :)
    • Like x 3
  12. Plowed In Loyal Player

There’s a lot of FOMO around here.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Hey, what can I say? It works for them. It does hurt retention though, but I think the EEG system actually will help that in the long run. Funny, they replaced one (day one feats) FOMO system for another (log in rewards).
  14. BumblingB I got better.

To be honest, I think gear shouldn't have been the only way of leveling your character either.

At the end of the day, it is what it is and I doubt we will see semblance to other games for the core of DCUO leveling.
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Oh...I have a ton that are unfinished, there are ones in Elites I choose not to participate in, or for things that I'd have to spend money on like buying TCs. I'm fine with having open feats. But these STU counts are not 'skill' feats...they are participation feats....I'm participating an appropriate amount...the number is not appropriate is all. The only reasonable solution is they are promoting spamming things....which was the question. Is 'Spam' the way the game was intended to be played?

I mean just having a solo/duo, and alert...which are dailies... the same as a raid count feat just doesn't make sense. They even knew this a few eps ago when they did Hydra vs the other bounties. It was to be expected you would not get Hydra each run, so they made the count 1/2 the main ones. It's like no logic was applied when setting the number. Other things like FP....the portal demons are a 250 count...closing the portals themselves are 50. You pick off 8 or 9 demons each portal, so the numbers make more sense than if the portals were 250 as well...don't they?
    • Like x 1
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

That all makes sense, but maybe they just standardized the numbers across the categories and chose that route?
  17. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So....no logic involved to standardize, just laziness. Hey, I can be lazy too sometimes, so I get it. Standardizing on a number across the board with daily work and weekly work makes no logical sense....Which is perfectly acceptable...I'd just like to hear that was the reason vs "Nah...we just like you to have to spam things"....which again, is the only other viable option.

Because again... I thought this update was to 'right the ship' and make it played 'as it was intended'. I don't remember any 'count' feats that required an over abundance of running content before recent DLCs. And again... I'm not talking about doubling back to it now...I'm saying when the content was new, those numbers were appropriate. Even those 10K PvP kills Bumbling mentioned. When that number was created, PvP was 1/2 the game...so 10K kills was a pretty standard amount as we ran PvP often (Ok, I didn't...but most did). Going back now, it's tough, but at inception...appropriate.

If the intention was we spam...that's fine. Just like to hear a dev say 'we expected you to run it 5x a week for the next year or so'. All good in the hood then....I'll just opt out. I'm getting very used to that in the last few weeks.

And to your earlier point....yean these feats will likely remain open for me for a long time...or forever. I'm good with that without a mantra needed. My FOMO only goes so far before it applies to life and family as well. 250x in long boring content is not something I have any fear of 'missing'. That's why I don't have most of the LPVE stuff done either...better things to do.
    • Like x 2
  18. Plowed In Loyal Player

[IMG]

I may reset or run loot locked as I get closer to a count threshold (25,50,100), but yeah, there’s more enticing things to do for me personally. I’m just focusing on my next step rather than always being aware of how many are left…it’ll pop when it pops.
    • Like x 2
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Keep in mind Save the Universe is going to be a reoccurring event, there's not much point in getting all the feats right now.
    • Like x 2
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Ok, well if that's the case....maybe, but still....weekly counts the same as daily? It doesn't add up.