The "GET GUD AT THE GAME" Crowd:

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by The Con, Sep 1, 2021.

1. shoegazer Well-Known Player

It's gonna feel clamped like everything ******* else..

If we're gonna be clamped at 10 CR above like everyone is saying.. then it just stands to reason at this point
    • Like x 1
  2. Proxystar #Perception

I think we can avoid crystal ball gazing for now. If and when the time comes for it to be clamped it feels uncomfortable I'll be right there with you arguing to loosen it in that content.
  3. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I think a support role shortage could be solved by locking your gear and role when you queue into the omnibus. I'd even say pull a destiny and lock roles during elite content. The game wws harder back in the day partly because we couldn't queue as a support role and then quickly switch to pick up slack in addition to attrition in between boss fights. The fact that the devs put a death limit on the boss speaks volumes to how they know we would brute force I way to victory otherwise.
  4. Illumin411 Loyal Player

That's not how scaling math works. If everything is scaled properly, 5% extra anything has the same value whether it's 5% of 100, 5% of 1,000,000 or any other number.

Example:
    Lets say in DPS role you have 150K base health and a boss has a DoT attack that ticks three times for 35% (52,500) of your base health each tick. Without heals or shields or anything, you'll die on the third tick and it's a wipe. Now on your second attempt you pop a compound omega and a seasonal health cookie giving you a 10% (15,000) extra health. Now you can take that entire 3-tick DoT attack and it'll leave you with health equal to 5% (7,500) of your base (unbuffed) health left.

Now let's say you go back to a clamped instance that clamps your health to 2,500K. Let's say it has the same character as a boss and has DC often does, many of the attacks are copy/pasted from earlier versions, including that same DoT attack. You go in unbuffed and that attack hits you for 3 ticks of 35% of your base health (875) each. The third tick once again kills you and it's a wipe. Then you remember to pop your compound omega and seasonal cookie giving you an extra 10% (250) health and this time you take all three ticks leaving you with 125 health which is equal to...drumroll please...5% of your base (unbuffed) health.

That 250 health buff is equally valuable in that clamped instance example as the 15,000 health buff is in the non-clamped example.

Edit: examples are not meant to be accurate representations of DCUO boss fight mechanics, damage calculations or of what any player would do in a situation like that. It's just meant to show how basic scaling statistics work.
    • Like x 1
  5. Proxystar #Perception

No, because that defeats entirely the purpose of armories, of which people pay for and in fact is supposed to be a feature of the game in the fact we can even change mid battle if the need arises.
    • Like x 1
  6. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

I mean yea its a feature but it sometimes Trivializes problem solving. FoS2 is a very Different experience since we can now switch roles. I imagine running it with full Full T2 gear wouldn't have been as daunting if we run roles with back up? Armories are cool and I enjoy them but I can't help but feel they kind of hamstring designers in what types of encounters they can make
  7. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

"overcome mechanics" that is what is wrong with your statement, you shouldn't be looking to ignore mechanics as a player and just think you can pew pew through them and when something goes wrong you cry foul. The elite solo Science Spire presently is the perfect example of this and the Captain Venz first boss fight is the exemplar. If you struggle or complain or any of the above with that boss fight (which TONS OF PLAYERS HAVE on these forums since its release) you NEED to get better because you are for lack of a nicer phrase bad at the game... You don't need anything extra to complete that fight, allies, trinkets, artifacts, mods, overgearing. There are simple and plan mechanics that if followed a player will have absolutely 0 issues. However, players don't do that and complain on these forums, look over the threads for the past week or 2 and see how often Science Spire elite comes up and is mentioned.

Players need to take ownership of their own abilities and stop blaming outside factors like oh I don't have 200 arts or max allies etc and learn how to play properly and you'll find out as a player how much easier this omniverse content is when you run it properly instead of just looking to pew pew.
    • Like x 4
  8. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Its not the same struggle.
    Now your 10+cr higher than relevancy, have more sp, have augments, have arts, etc.
    Good try tho :)
    • Like x 2
  9. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Back then we did not care about stacking DPS in an instance. If the instance called for 2 trolls, 2 heals, and 2 tanks, we ran that setup. What got lost in the scheme of things with this community now is supplanting burn over survivability.

Stacking DPS came along when rage timers were introduced that no longer exist.
    • Like x 1
  10. Proxystar #Perception

I think it enhances problem solving, but appreciate you think the opposite lol :D
    • Like x 1
  11. Proxystar #Perception

It isn't. :rolleyes:

I mean maybe at a pinch, the absolute top end elite content and survival mode, but even then, acting like omnibus or clamped content requires that stuff is ridiculous.

And besides, isn't the purpose of having those items in the first place, something for players to strive for, some of you people just want to spend hours coming up with excuses and reasons as to why you shouldn't actually play the game or grind anything.
    • Like x 3
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Not entirely true there's a bunch of modern content that also has burn timers, looking at DME as one example.

I've never liked burn checks, because I think it encourages a slightly toxic mindset despite the fact I get it "dps skill check etc etc"

I like the more subtle burn checks where it's beneficial to burn things because the longer they're alive the harder survivability becomes but isn't a hard coded wipe, a good tank and healer can also assist with over coming the mechanic if the burn is slightly lacking.

An example of that I think were the eyeballs on COUE, they were clearly a burn check but at the same time were more forgiving in the fact that a good tank could manage them longer to compensate for lower burn, as opposed to Hawkman in DME where you literally have a certain number of phases to burn the boss or it's hard coded insta wipe, the latter I find to be hot garbage, but that's just me.
    • Like x 2
  13. Proxystar #Perception

Seriously, what's test got to do with anything?
    • Like x 1
  14. Dev72 Dedicated Player

Only true in part. The 2nd boss in DME is really a troll check ensuring the damage debuff is consistently up, which was the result of many wipes before groups started to realize that.

I was talking about true rage timers that completely relied on burn alone that called for the extra dps that even a debuff could not hold back. The timers these days can still be worked around with proper group game play even in a classic raid set-up. Especially considering the large number parsers that are doable with competent DPS, however few they may be.
  15. FiredUp FarCar New Player

There seems to be alot of peeople riding in the passenger seats of their best friends rides in here,
    Complaining about content they can't complete because they think power > skill
  16. Proxystar #Perception

Picture of me waiting the time it requires for you to come up with the name of a piece of regular content that requires a player to tac swap and have max rank artifacts.

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  17. Proxystar #Perception

[IMG]
  18. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I was about to reply "if THAT is what the majority of players in these clamped omnibus runs or even pre-ep.41 reg content are doing, they are NOT doing it right, lol.
    • Like x 2
  19. The Con Dedicated Player

One isn't "looking to ignore mechanics".... not having to worry so much about them is just a natural outcome of becoming stronger than the content requires.

AAAAAANNNNNDDDDD.... That is why clamping is stupid.

THERE ALREADY IS A "YOU MUST OBEY THE MECHANICS" VERSION OF MOST OF THE CONTENT.
    You want that challenge.... Do elite.

(Presumably) Most players want to see improvement and gained strength after grinding the content over and over...

Heck:
    If you just want to grind the same content over and over at the same level... You could have just never put on new gear.. and stayed the same level.

You (they) didn't have to drag everybody else down with this clamping nonsense.

My main does have 200 on all of my artifacts... I do have over 530sp... I do have max armor...

I EEEEEEEARNED the right to be able to "pew pew" my way through older content.
    • Like x 6
  20. Alpha Maximum Well-Known Player

Good point.

• Like x 2