Dev Discussion Episode 41: New UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Sammiford, Aug 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammiford Developer

Hi all! We hope you’ve all had a chance to experience the new UIs we’ve worked hard on over the past several months. In case you aren’t aware of what we created, here’s the quick rundown:

1. The new On Duty menu
    a. We’ve restructured the menu to provide quicker access to content, a smoother leveling experience, and bigger challenges

2. The Allies System menu
    a. We made a new system, so we made a new menu for it! Here you’ll find all of the Allies you’ve unlocked, their unique info, and the ability to mix and match Ally power combinations as you see fit.

3. The Daily Login Rewards menu
    a. No more Vault! Here you will be able to get a new set of rewards every day you log in. All players get to claim some rewards, but members get extra! You will also be able to open up the Fate Store to spend your daily currency on some sweet gear and styles.

We’d love to hear from you on any UI-specific feedback regarding these new menus. The type of feedback we’re looking for is as follows:
    • Interaction related opinions: Do the interactions make sense? How confident do you feel when interacting with the interfaces?
    • Accessibility: Legibility, color contrast, etc.
    • Usability: Navigation controls, efficiency, clear communication, etc.
    • Any general feedback as necessary
    Thank you all in advance! We really do depend on your feedback to make our game better, so please don’t hesitate to let us know about any thoughts you have on these new features. Cheers!
    • Like x 3
  2. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

Cant sort ON LEADERBOARD within any content
  3. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

No way to know what youre q'ed for.. All we know is that is says READY then UNREADY but no idea what im running even when im clicking missions.

The new READY up system doesnt let you what youre q'ed up for.. THere is no verification check or anything to verify what im gettin into... Things need to be labelled with a check next to the content to differentiate what content we are running..
    • Like x 3
  4. Darth_Andrea Well-Known Player

No clear way to queue for Event versions of current Episode content.
    • Like x 1
  5. Zamara Dedicated Player

Not sure if it's the same for you but they don't even show up for me, all i see on the menu are the normal and elite versions in the event tab.
    I mean in the old on duty menu btw.
  6. RTX Well-Known Player

Hey Sammiford! There is an issue with the daily login rewards menu when being q´d for an instance. If you´ve not accepted it directly (60 seconds countdown to accept) you will be unable to accept it via F1 anymore, since the daily login rewards menu "replaced" it.

Sadly we didnt been able to check that on Test-Server, otherwise it seems fine.
    • Like x 1
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

The color scheme on the new On Duty UI could definitely use a tweak. We were having trouble seeing the green highlight against the blue background, difficult to tell where our cursor is when we're making selections. We spent the evening using the old On Duty UI as it was much easier to navigate.

When queueing up for Save the Universe though the new UI, it is unclear what difficulty to select without looking at the CR requirements in the tooltip. The first time my league mates and I queueing up for the Power Core it didn't give me a choice of difficulty or show me specifically which version I was queueing us into. It automatically put us in the low level raid because one my league mates was a couple CR behind to run the new upscaled event version.

Queueing into Save the Universe by myself I see you have the original low level raid labeled as Event and the upscaled event versions are labeled Normal and Elite. It would have been less confusing if you had kept the low level version separate from the event. This was another reason I stuck with the old UI because I wanted to be 100% sure of what I was queueing up for.
    • Like x 1
  8. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Both the on duty and the ally menu are a disaster.

On duty is sluggish, hard to navigate, unresponsive and counterintuitive. Frequently when a pre-made group queued people struggled to queue up. It just doesn't make sense. Please scrap it.

The ally menu is also bafflingly unclear. Please just make a modified artifacts tab and use it for allies rather than the clunky mess that's there now.
    • Like x 3
  9. Ryazan Dedicated Player

The new On Duty menu doesn't allow us to see whether someone in the group can do more than 1 role or not. It only shows 1 role when people ready up.
    • Like x 4
  10. farm3rb0b Committed Player

• Accessibility - these are nitpicky. I blame work for making me nitpicky about accessibility design.
      • On Duty - Some of the hover/highlighted effects are quite subtle. Fine on a mouse/keyboard because I can see my cursor. On a controller...it's less clear. I can see them, but I can see where it's hard to distinguish.
      • Allies - Knowing what you're going to select with a controller leaves a little to be desired. The subtle effect along the edges before you select an ally might be just too subtle. I know what to do now, but at first it was confusing. Another league mate that plays with a controller mentioned the same thing.
    • Usability
      • On Duty - This is a mess with a controller. The button sequences do not make sense. Going to use playstation button names. Normally the accept/move forward button is X (cross). That's fine until the "Ready Up" screen when it suddenly changes to triangle. Why is that not still the normal cross? Further, it takes 3-4 square/back presses to exit the On Duty menu. I did not see an "exit" button for controller. Would that be possible to have?
      • Allies - You can split the favor. I remembered how to do this on m/kb (shift + click), but we were confused in trying to remember how to do it with controller. I think the wording is "load amount" or something like that in the left-side of the fortify menu. Didn't it used to be "split stack"? The messaging there was not clear that pressing triangle would let me enter a custom amount of favor.
      • Daily rewards - I didn't have any issues once I opened this, but there's no messaging that ever tells me to hit up on the d-pad to bring up the rewards menu. In the past for special gifts (DCUO anniversary, Pride month, etc), there's that huge present that sticks in the corner letting you know about sweet loot. Something similar would help with messaging.
    • Like x 4
  11. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Pretty much what bob said. With a mouse cursor as a guide, the new UI works and looks great. On a controller (what I use).... not so great. I stand by my test server statement that there needs to be a greater contrast to highlight where you are in the menus.
    • Like x 3
  12. AlexRom New Player

New UI looks and feels completely out of game's general theming and is not optimized for low resolutions - some elements and text become too small. ..also green selection on blue elements? What about the 'contrast' term?
    • Like x 2
  13. Coldzoom Well-Known Player

Well today its not giving me the option to use replays on the alert, but is for the solo. Haven't checked the past two days because i didn't feel like using replays. Already did alert twice today.
  14. Vonsharpington Level 30

The new UI looks amazing but it doesn't feel very console friendly. Is it possible to add a cursor for console players using controller? I'm also still on ps4 not sure if it's different on ps5.
  15. hotsizz1e03 Committed Player

And a personal future request can we REDO the WHOLE HEALTH HUD.. Especially for buffs and debuffs, i feel like each buff and debuff should be expressed with each individual buff/debuff icons.. its just not enough information that the game makes transparent for the user.. Its too much guess work in DCUO as a player..
  16. DCUO Post Loyal Player

The design is great, user experience not so much. The UX is pretty bad its clunky and slow there's a few unnecessary extra clicks that's not needed.

Also seeing the new and old UI is a bit jarring. Is there timeline of updating the rest of the UI? Or is the majority of DCUO resources being used on the DI game?
  17. Miserable Dedicated Player

Feedback on the On Duty UI:

- This isn't something new but the On Duty menu (now both old and new) takes a while to become responsive. I have to wait about 5 seconds after opening the menu before I can highlight or select anything. I'm on PS4.

- Like someone else said, the button highlight effects are very subtle and make it hard to tell what button is currently highlighted.

- The right pane that contains the names of the group members could be improved visually. Both the names of the players and the green circles indicating readiness appear small and pixelated.

- It would be nice if data were synced between the old and new menus so that when in a group, players (who are not the leader) could ready up from either the old or new menu instead of having to use the same version of the menu that the leader used to queue up the instance. This does not apply to Omnibus of course.

- We should have a setting that lets us choose which version of the menu opens by default and a way to get to the new menu from the old one, instead of the current one-way setup.

- Resetting loot locks in the new menu is worse than in the old menu in two ways. First, you can't see which bosses you are loot locked from in the new menu. Second, there is no explicit "reset loot lock" button like in the old menu. In the new menu, you have to click on the name of the instance in the middle pane which immediately triggers the confirmation dialog, which is not very intuitive.
    • Like x 3
  18. Feat Hunter New Player

I hope they don't get rid of the classic que up system. This update is painful.
    • Like x 1
  19. Time Beacon Active Player

How do I q for duos and alerts at same time
  20. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

it sucks. try reading the new ui on console and see if this now makes sense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.