Tanking without pulls.

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Dcuo player31, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Dcuo player31 New Player

Hi so im not that expirienced in end game content but i was wondering if i can tank generally without a pull abillity and just taunt enemies by being in tank stance ofc is it possible?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

With most fights you'll need to pull enemies off of your allies that are out of range of your aggro. A pull can save you time and effort from having to run from one side of the room and back just to aggro an enemy. Some enemies are also scripted to ignore the tank and you may have to constantly use a pull to keep your allies safe.
    • Like x 2
  3. MrStoob Well-Known Player

Regular taunt tanking is not 100% anyway, if it was then there'd be no worries. When you say 'pull' do you mean a supertaunt like Frost Snipe, or general pulling like Inescapable Storm? It can depend very much on the raid/scenario as to which option is best. I generally use a supertaunt unless there's a lot of mobs to pull away from my party.
    • Like x 1
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

well, sure: all powers in tank role taunt,
    however: enemies sometimes ignore it.
    maybe you could try single target taunt.
    but a pull normally does the trick better.
    • Like x 1
  5. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Pulling enemies away from your team is the fundamental role of a tank. While yes there are certain bosses who run around, for the most part you are responsible for actually pulling.
    • Like x 2
  6. L T Devoted Player

For years Fire had only a mid-range AOE pull and lots of Fire Tanks made that work. The advantage of a pull is that it gets adds off of other players *NOW*, as opposed to just taunting where they stop attacking and slowly meander their way towards the Tank.

Also, DPS players like and have come to expect that all the adds will quickly get nicely clustered for slaughter.
    • Like x 1
  7. Dcuo player31 New Player

yeah i mean like storm pulling abillities, and basically let your tank stance carry your taunts but i see what you are saying
  8. Dcuo player31 New Player

i see didnt know that the taunts wasnt 100% guaranted to work unless if you had a actuall pull that sucks
  9. Dcuo player31 New Player

i see thats a issue indeed thanks, i will try to fit in the pull in the loadout i guess
    • Like x 1
  10. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Hmm interesting lol
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Yeah, you'll need a pull. But hey, points for the effort in outside-the-box thinking. I dig it.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dcuo player31 New Player

Yup thank you, was trying to make a rage battle tank.You know something different new ways to play the game and enjoy it but rage has so many good abilities that i just couldnt find a spot for a pull especially with the rage crash cause you need to avoid it and do damage and tank but it was fun trying to make one, i still do tho but yeah.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It would only really work where there are no spawning adds (i.e. a single boss, boss fight like Doomsday raid), that way you could hit ads as you find them and agro before the group gets agro (i.e. the long hallways in Bombshell) but as mentioned above, most groups expect the tank to move that one group of adds towards the next (sometimes down multiple lengths of hallway) and not fight each group where they stand. CAN it be done? Sure...in a few instances, but not sure what the advantage is? So you can do more damage moves?

My guess is if you tried it in anything 'current' you'd be facing the boot quickly. Do it at your own risk.

EDIT: I see you've replied. Good luck with your build.
    • Like x 1