Question on Ice tank stats

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by MrStoob, Jul 20, 2021.

1. MrStoob Well-Known Player

So I maxed out Dominance and have been pouring the rest of my stats into Restoration at about 65 Resto now. My logic being that this will increase my shield strength.

Would this be 'correct'?

Thanks.
  2. Evolution New Player

Yes , but the increase is so small you will not even notice, so it is better to put them on health.
    • Like x 3
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Evolution is correct. After going 10/10 with your heal crits, max out your dominance and than go for health. There are a lot of scripted boss attacks/mechanics that ignore shields and having additional health will help you survive those.
    • Like x 3
  4. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Health is a better bet, really - you'll have enough Dominance for both Crowd Control and Ice's super-meaty Shield multipliers from Gear and Augments alone; Health and Heal Crits supplement Ice's weakspot - non-Shielded regeneration. Toss in a 160 Mystic Symbol and a Strategist and Ice is suddenly really, *really* hard to kill...
    • Like x 1
  5. AV Loyal Player

I have a bit of an aneurysm every time an Ice tank tells me they don't have Health maxed. Even without shields, a max-Health Ice tank has more eHP than a max-Health Fire tank by virtue of Ice's insanely high defense alone.

Also super important for players to understand the degree to which shields are strengthened by maxing Dom/Resto is less than the additional Health gained from maxing health. It is a very... very bad practice that will get Ice tanks killed.
    • Like x 1
  6. catplaysxoxo Loyal Player

Go for health instead. Certain enemies ignore shields anyways.
  7. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Truthfully it depends. Theres a lot of advice being thrown around about putting it into Health. Im not doubting that others have run tests themselves but pouring SP into Health as an Ice Tank seemed counterproductive to me, and when i tried it for a full month it was worse. I wouldnt dramatize it by saying its 100x worse or anything silly like that, but it was worse.

Ice Tanking is Shield-based, usually rotating 3-4 Shields. If you're doing it right, Health shouldnt even be a factor in this equation. You're looking to make sure your Shields last long enough for the next to exit cooldown. Shields are based on 150% of your Dom and 112.5% of your Resto, which is why Dom is more important. For me when i tested maxed Health, Shields were breaking faster and you were an open target for multiple seconds. In Elite, multiple seconds can be a KO. I don't "pass the buck" so I wouldnt say that it was a healers fault. I've a job to do here, same as them.

Heres actual advice: test both in the Save the Universe Solo or the Upcoming WW duo. See what suits you. There are genuinely ppl who benefit more from maxed Health, and others from Dom and Resto. The main advice is about SP though. You need more. Not a dig, just advice. If you're maxing 295 Dom, have 65 left, and usually only need 5-8 for anything else, then you're at about.370 SP right now. SP should usually be about 100 above your CR level (Dev Advice) so i'd recommend getting a few feat runs going.