Dimension Ink hiring devs!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by zNot, Jul 9, 2021.

1. zNot Loyal Player

I have just seen that dcuo has retweeted this on twitter so i think this is amazing !!

They seem to hire for dcuo isnt this big news? Since many of us were saying that the dev team is small/lack of ressources but now it will get bigger what can we expect from this?

(can someone explain what these jobs do ?)

They are looking for these following:
    3D outsource artist -DCUO
    Art director-DCUO
    Senior VFX artist-DCUO
    Game programmer-DCUO
    Systems designer-DCUO
    Senior combat designer- unnanounced
    • Like x 2
  2. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

3D outsource artist - Create 3D asset projects
    Art director - Coordenate everything related to styles and environment arts
    Senior VFX artist - Responsible to coordenate and design particles and other visual effects
    Game programmer - Code the mechanics of the game and it's characters such as our own and npcs
    Systems designer - Project and code systems such as artifacts, allies, augments, on duty and broker
    Senior combat designer - Create the project for everything combat related, from weapons to superpowers to combos to counters.

They were always hiring, but this time it seems to be directed to increase the size of the team, which is indeed good news.
    • Like x 3
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I think those recs have been open for a while, at least most. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but one of those is Batuba's old job. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying that is a good thing, bad thing or means anything. I don't have anywhere close to enough information about their standard or current staffing procedures and efforts to derive any meaning from it. But yeah, most if not all of those are not brand new.
    • Like x 2
  4. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Can I apply??

Here is my CV;

I was bitten by a radioactive Multiverse and now have the proportionate strength and speed of a Multiverse.
    I can also create an infinite amount of YouTube videos.

I can start as early as Monday.

Blink twice to say yes.

;) ;)
    • Like x 7
  5. zNot Loyal Player

Hmm why is it that they arent able to find someone? Are these jobs so rare or are they very strict on who they let into their company? I know batuba-meg left but they are looking for like 5-6 devs thats kinda big considering the current dev team numbers?

Oceans retweeted it aswell saying „work with me“ so thats nice!
    • Like x 2
  6. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Well again, this is mostly speculation sprinkled with some tidbits of info from the devs along with my own experience running a company, but I believe at least a couple (if not more) of those are expansions to the team with a couple or more being replacements.

As far as why they haven't been filled sooner, there's tons of reasons that could be true (again, speculation). Their standard processes may included several rounds of interviews. They may weigh heavier on references and/or submissions of samplings of work (portfolio) (which can take some time to obtain/evaluate) whereas in lots of jobs/industries that's closer to a formality. They may have a process of prioritization where positions are first posted internally to give current employees first dibs, then locally or through local talent recruiters 2nd and then regionally or nationally last. There may be industry functions, conferences, events, etc that have been fruitful in the past for recruitment and perhaps there are some around the corner that they are waiting on (I think either Megzilla or Oceans said they initially made contact at comicon or some similar trade event like that).

They may also be waiting until after launch of the of the new DLC since onboarding, training, team integration, etc can syphon resources/manpower/focus/etc away from the work that is currently being done and they clearly have their work cut out for them from now until episode 41 launches. Plus, crunch time is about as far from an ideal scenario as it comes for a new hire to get their feat wet in a new job.

It's also possible EG7 has just recently fattened the labor budget even more for team expansion (as they said they would at some point) which may come with some restructuring of job descriptions, responsibilities, etc which would mean they're pumping the brakes until that process shakes out but logically should still keep the recs open in case a superstar candidate like Charon should happen to be interested.
    There's a bunch of other potential reasons too. Maybe the candidates so far keep answering the "Kirk or Picard?" question with "who?" (INSTANT DQ!)

This is all speculation or, more accurately, generalized common reasons why hiring processes can stall or just take a while.

Oh, I almost forgot, Covid is still a thing and provides it's own chunk of reasons and hurdles to a hiring and talent acquisition. For example, they could be waiting for some promising non-local candidates' immunization processes to complete so that they can safely fly in for a final interview. Who knows...
    • Like x 3
  7. zNot Loyal Player

Thanks for explaining it and i agree so much with the Charon part hes my favorite dev.
    • Like x 2
  8. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

Hopefully they hire someone to fix PVP

What? Someone else was gonna say it... lol

But nah it's good hearing that they want more folks to come aboard, especially when everyone loves to throw a panic party when they hear layoffs happen.
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I also forgot, from similar situations I've seen in the past, there's a good chance that the corporate restructuring that lead to the creation of Dimensional Ink as it's own stand-alone studio and corporate entity separate from Daybreak along with EG7's later acquisition of Daybreak probably created some challenges.

Typically the core Human Resources functions are handled at the corporate level but obviously due to the nature of the work, the hands on talent evaluation and hiring would be handled in house at D.I. in Texas. If that or something like it is the case, D.I. may not have had the time, opportunity or budget to establish their own in-house HR department in which case it'd probably be one degree or another of cluster****ery to get that part of the process handled with Daybreak and/or EG7. Mergers and acquisitions are always a bit messy since after all, humans being humans, if you give two offices/departments an excuse to say "that's their job, not ours", they won't hesitate to do so.
    • Like x 2
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Again, all speculation. Mepps could very well pop in here to say, [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  11. FoolsFire Devoted Player

[IMG]
  12. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

VFX artist What is it ?
  13. Eve YouTuber

This is great. I am happy they are expanding the team so they can have more people to work on things. If I qualified for any of those, I would apply. Look like they don't have anything community related. lol
    • Like x 1
  14. Harlequin Devoted Player

I view those DCUO openings as springboard jobs rather than career positions, valuable for gaining industry experience before landing at a different studio or project. They won't be doing anything groundbreaking, probably supporting additional artifacts, trinkets and MTX stuff rather than rebuilding DCUO to solve its fundamental flaws.

The combat designer position sounds interesting, though. If I had experience outside of school, I might look into that one. Unfortunately, I just graduated so I lack anything that would qualify me as a "senior" anything. For now.
  15. Charon Lead Content Designer

Visual FX artist - spell effects, auras, etc. So that candidate can give me, a few others, and mostly Oceans a break so she can focus more on environment. A lot of us have taken a jack of all trades approached to help each other out. Smaller teams get scrappy that way.
    • Like x 8
  16. Eve YouTuber

It's amazing how much you guys get to accomplish with such small team. I always wonder if It's the same with Community team because it looks like Mepps is doing everything and it looks so hard to to deal with everything at once
    • Like x 1
  17. RunfromDanger Man Dedicated Player

I feel your pain (in a way) on the small team and jack of all trades thing. Y’all have no idea how much I wish I was qualified for any of those positions.
  18. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Nice. You guys do a lot tbh. You guys pump put so many cosmetics. Content. Systems. Year round never stopping. On an outdated engine that im sure must be a slight pain to deal with.

I saw some of the positions to and wondered if Avair is still with you guys. You dont have to answer that. Always liked him tho.
  19. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

ok thanks for the answer and I can understand you ^^
  20. zNot Loyal Player

Thats good to hear regarding the other positions do you think that these will help you out in other areas of the game if so which ones would be benefeting the most from this?