DCUO Development Update - July 2021

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

With that as the case, can we have the walk in for paradox wave back? :D
    • Like x 3
  2. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I really want to see the stat clamping become an optional change. I'm always up for compromising if I see that much good will come from the end product. For me everything else is great in terms of game changes, I really get stuck on the fact that all my work, money spent, and gear/arts/augments/SP will be made utterly worthless. Why grind/level those items up when you will get nerfed to sit with everyone else at the same level? You don't want content to be trivial but it's ok to make our gains/work trivial? For me this is a big nope. I understand that much work has been put into this system to better the game and move it forward but, forcing a stat clamp that's not optional, takes the "super" out of a superhero branded game. I challenge and encourage you to listen to the forums feedback and see the upvotes on my posts to see what the community really wants from this. I hope you can step back and ask your team, " Is there something we can do here? Maybe we can make it optional. We can take a look." Otherwise with everything else, you guys are on the right track and I look forward to the changes coming forward.

- Iconic Simulation
    • Like x 4
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Hey, before you add all these 'cool new' drops to clog up our teenie new 7 inventory slots, can we get a 'skin' vendor of some sort where we can dump our 'integrated' items but then reclaim them at some point? I've got 1/2 my bank full of henchmen, orbitals, supply drops, sidekicks, turrets, trinkets and other flotsam I've earned along the way, most of which can only be used 1 at a time but have some different style or battle value. Granted I could just delete all of it and go with my standard orbital and supply drop, henchmen and sidekick, but I think there was a gleam of hope on some sort of 'skin' vendor for these things way back when....any hopes of that becoming reality?
    • Like x 3
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

These are not 'free'. You spend loyalty, which you get because you sub. If they were free you'd have your 500 loyalty to spend on whatever you choose AND a seal. You choose to spend them on seals (as do I most times), but that does not make them free. If they are, go ahead and buy a row of inventory or 150 replays and tell me how many 'included' seals you get that month. (spoiler...it will be 0).
    • Like x 2
  5. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

The reason to level up anything is the same as before. If you've got a 342 maxed toon with 200 arts and 600sp vs a 330 with 150sp and 80 arts in current content vs what's coming, the difference would still be the exact same in the final outcome just with smaller numbers adding up. Aka, an op toon will still be op by comparison. So if you don't want to gear up/ make your toon op, you don't have to but someone that does will be better than you in anything
  6. Irvynnge Loyal Player

have I read this all wrong, or am I correct that when all this kicks in the only place I'm going to be able to earn source marks is by running old content? old clamped content? or will you, at least, still be able to earn marks in event content?
  7. KevinGarnier New Player

RIP to all those who had to pay the dlc without going through the subscription, I have friends who bought all the dlcs at the time who tell me today that they feel like they have been taken for idiots and pigeons...

Regarding the subscription, pay $ 15 to have less than before and not to pay a subscription to have what we had before with the subscription I find its null and void, the subscription will be much less profitable that before for those who wish to take it, if you count all the price of separate dlc that we had before in the subscription you would quickly get an idea of the profitability of now and before so at least change the price of this divided by two ^^.
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The money cap will be removed for anyone who has ever spent $5 in the marketplace or been a member (premium access level now has unlimited cash).

What do you mean by remove CR?
    • Like x 1
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

It seems like a waste to toss good Mark Hamill Joker dialog....especially the x-mas song.
    • Like x 1
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Heroes and villains can already talk to each other. They can't group beyond the On Duty menu, but it is already and will be easier to organize ahead of time.
    • Like x 3
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Assuming this part is fleshed out, will Cyborg be the 8th member of the group (maybe filling a missing role spot) or will he be a 9th additional member to the 8 players, coming in when summoned?
  12. Controller Devoted Player

Yikes so I guess Heroes and Villains WILL be congregating together more...................

[IMG]

I guess I can adapt:D

Looking forward to this and the other changes...looks VERY promising.

Here's hoping that - EVENTUALLY - Heroes and Heroines as well as Villains from Milestone / DC can be offered as well - for the ALLIES portion of this thing

[IMG]

Would LOVE to see Icon, Rocket and Hardware as one of these "Allies" that you can use. Static is already in the game, thankfully.
    • Like x 2
  13. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

I'm talking more about character stats in terms of content not, one players performance to another. For me being able to solo bounties or go down memory lane in Foss 3, or solo PW EO style was an accomplishment of the work, and my strength from it, from progressing my character for years. Stat clamping would take that away. You would never get stronger in any content, you would remain the same. Thus having no growth from your work and accomplishments. It makes the grind meaningless, without purpose. You are supposed to get stronger, to the point that you would eventually one shot enemies, it's progress and natural. It return on your continued investment in the game. So yes a player could outperform you if they have higher items/gear/arts, but the adds will always hit just as hard and kill you just as fast. You still kill them almost just fast as you did the last 20 times and nothing changes. This is no progress. To me that's the harm that forced stat clamping can do if not put in check as optional.

- Iconic Simulation
    • Like x 3
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

That’s what I said! On second thought, I’d hoped this situation would at least give me a good reason to go back to the glorious Atlantis open world, but even those dreams have been crushed because open worlds are excluded. :(
    • Like x 3
  15. NeoSelkie Active Player

I'm not sure how much dev time would be required, but one way this could be fixed would be scaling the source mark rewards so that longer/harder raids give larger source mark rewards. I've been playing FFXIV recently and it has a similar system for longer story raids in order to incentivize people to run them.

While I'm sure people would still lean towards the one room bossfight raids, this would at least make the longer/harder raids more encouraging for players to run.
    • Like x 1
  16. SkullGang Devoted Player

I feel the removal of loot locks makes up for it being tied to old content. Need some marks ? Go spam FOS3.
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Maybe you have seven servants at your beck and call to spam a stat clamped OG raid, but I know I don’t.
    • Like x 1
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure how much you run old stuff, but if I queue in (when I queue in) with someone who is at or around level, I generally ask them if they want me to explode everything or hold back. I'll also ask if they need feats, assuming they are doable on 1 run, or if 1/2 of a 2 part feat we can get the 'tough' part. I have almost NEVER been told to hold back and when a feat is possible, most say 'Sure...I need all the feats'. While there are a few who just don't answer, I don't know if I've ever been asked to leave or sit back while they struggle. 99% of the time if we are doing a feat, I'll have to explain how it's done or some mechanics, so yes...most do learn something. An exception being the 'fire dancer' feat in RIPE. I generally just go in on my own and hide behind the rock safe spot...they get the feats there....not sure how to teach people how to avoid the fire without them getting hit by the fire first and it's a 1st attempt feat. You don't need to add clamping to be able to teach mechanics, it just puts more pressure on those that are incapable or slow to learn them. Right now, there is lee-way. After clamping there might not be. I'll argue a better method for teaching is to allow smaller groups to run, where you have a few teachers and a few learners....without someone breathing down your neck cause 'I want my marks yo!...let's move it'. Just wait till people are in here complaining because they were kicked for doing too little damage, not doing role properly or whatever....cause you know...most of the player base is sooooo patient with lowbies.

And this is not just on low content. Got in FFr the other night and the guy who was trolling had no idea how to troll. 2 or 3 people left after a few wipes, so a leaguemate and I walked him through a basic loadout and how to throw debuffs and power dump. We refilled the spots and it worked out decently.
    • Like x 1
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Right....so the queues will again be a wasteland except a few quick runs to top off source. How will this help the newer players or people needing specific runs for feats/styles after the initial mad dash is over?
    • Like x 2
  20. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

I meant what you are already doing. It seemed important to recognize/include the good thing that was already in progress.
    So... Premium will have zero money cap, not just a raised one? I must have misread something. That's actually really great news!

Since I have your direct attention, I'd like to thank you in a back-handed kind of way. You were actually the reason I quit; I had posted a question, and it disappeared from a thread. I posted again, unsure if it had been removed or not, and others said I'd be banned for asking - and I was, for a week, right as I was in the middle of a post defending you and saying that you wouldn't be so heavy-handed. I was a bit salty and that's why I left (not why I've stayed away) - but it also lead me to the realization that I should be making game systems for myself rather than putting so much effort into making systems for games like this (that never get heard), which lead to several mods for Bethesda games and soon a career in game design. So, although you *were* heavy-handed, it actually had a positive impact. So thanks. :)