Improve character customisation in this game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Robotsidekick, May 7, 2021.

1. Robotsidekick Active Player

I can't create an accurate asian, black or mestizo character.. which is a total joke.
    • Like x 1
  2. Wildcat Committed Player

well yeah..

this game needs something like.. classes? or more characters to chose from?
    Ill really like to be an alien/robot/demon or hmm superpet? super rabit...? who get some powers from exobytes... (those new demon models are cool)
    yeah we need some updates

;)
    • Like x 1
  3. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

There are skins for Asians and people of African decent. There are actually 2 ( at least ) of each type with the new updated skins added.
  4. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Ive been saying for awhile that the game doesn’t have much diversity, they threw static shock in and lightning lad n as a black man i mean i guess im happy, but diversity includes more then black and white people. Blue beetle is coming so hopefully we can get a Mexican character added in soon.
  5. Robotsidekick Active Player

I found what you're talking about, the skins added to STAR labs, they didn't appear in the start up options so i had no options except white features. They should change this.
    • Like x 3
  6. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

A black character is possible, but other ethnicities are definitely missing. Alien skins would be nice too!
    • Like x 2
  7. Heywiar Committed Player

For something as diverse as super-powered people, comics have a seriously long way to go in terms of diversity. Yeah, its improving but it needs a lot of work. I want more POC characters in comics. :( I totally agree with you.
    I feel like they just need to add new skins in general too...the android skin we have is so so ugly. Seriously, who thought to give it no lips or nose? My character is an android and he's been needing an android skin like Amazo's for forever.
  8. Eve YouTuber

I think the biggest issue is that they only added about 3 new skins and never touched it again. Megzilla (Ex-Dev) kept saying how they want to, but never found the proper time for it. It's a shame because this game is about creating your own character and we all have the same faces.
    • Like x 7
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You left out a few more recent additions.
  10. Jafin 10000 Post Club

You must have gone past them without noticing because they're definitely in character creation. Three new human skins were added in...2019 I think. One with Caucasian features, one with Asian features and one with Black/African features (unsure which is the correct term to use so forgive me if I didn't use the correct one). I think they removed the original three regular human skins from character creation and replaced them with the new ones.
    • Like x 2
  11. Charon Lead Content Designer

Internally, many agree and to that end:
    • We want to add more skins and have dedicated time in the future to find some lost knowledge to get that going again
    • We have been adding more diverse characters in the game in recent history and have more planned this year and beyond
    • Like x 17
  12. PsySomatic Extra Life 2020

Awesome.

On a related note, I started several new toons recently and my gosh the textures on the older starter styles/skins are rough to look at..

I'm willing to bet that newer players and vets alike would be very happy to see all of the skins and starter styles refreshed so it just makes the game look and feel newer/better, especially when you start a new toon. :D
    • Like x 3
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Lost knowledge? Is it that bad?
  14. Charon Lead Content Designer

Found or current is better, clearly - but no, not "bad". We can do it but time is needed to track down certain elements to make it work in every aspect we need it to. Some time and reverse engineering and voila. Time is the problem - Character has been super busy with lots of cool gear, refreshed NPCs, and new NPCs coming soon to a DCUO near you.

That's a goal we have for the future for sure.
    • Like x 9
  15. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

With all the new and intricate armor styles/hair types as of late I can hardly wait to see what comes of the new skin style/textures! Only one problem; I have a full roster! How am I going to build new alts with the new "shineys"?! :p
  16. Beastmaster Well-Known Player

To be honest that a simple fix if your willling retcon some you Existing characters for the affiliated look you originally wanted for them. I've done it for a couple of my Characters don't get me wrong it hard to just retcon a existing character but what if it turns out to be better then what you originally had. I sure you can come up with some lore excuse that they were wearing a mask or hiding who they truely are. The changes i made i don't regret and i have a full story/ background on them.
    • Like x 1
  17. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

And let's not forget to mention the female form, too.

The ONLY way to get a small breasted or smaller bottomed female toon is that she also has to look like a small child? And if she's tall she's also "big boned"? That's just sick to me. Creepy sick.

Being a guy I, of course, like the look of my female toon but I genuinely would prefer more diversity in female body shaping. Nothing like Star Trek Online, mind you. I don't want a game where there are female characters that look like they need to be wearing back braces and need wheelbarrows to get around (although sometimes it seems that they do in DCUO...from certain angles.)

I hope Daybreak considers this option, too while it considers the others.
    • Like x 3
  18. Apollonia Dedicated Player

The new base they've been using for styles has more realistic proportions. Meg mentioned that when it came up a while back. My understanding is they're using the same base they used for the Legion slimlines. So, if you like those proportions you will be satisfied with the newer stuff.
    • Like x 1
  19. Robert-Vim Well-Known Player

The vast majority of my toons are pretty much "set in concrete" so to speak. Most are theme toons created to portray a certain form a comic book creation went through. Batman comes in many forms for example. 60's Tv Bats looked campy as did all the other characters from the Tv series. Batman in the comics however, had a more dark and morose personality etc. That being said ; it is why I cannot change them other than unpdated hair styles or skin textures. That is why if they create new characters altogether ( like Blue Beetle) I will need more slots. ;) Well that and, and to be more to the point; ~raises hand~ "Hi ! I'm Steve and I'm an altoholic. :p
  20. Snowy OwI Loyal Player

Gear is fine but my character is more than just gear,he also skin and npc skins are Not as important as my own character at least that's what I feel.