My All Time Favorite Batman Story

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Elijah Seed, May 7, 2021.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I hate Batman. I've made no secret of that.

I find him to be OVERLY represented in DCUO and media almost to the exclusion of ALL other DC Comics heroes. What makes it worse is how incredibly BORING Batman is. Batman USED to have mystery about him. Questions persisted about him that the good people of DC Comics in decades past never bothered to answer. Because they knew the answers would kill the majesty of Batman - his mythos. The questions were more important. Just write the stories and let them flow with as little detail as possible but KEEP the mystery alive.

Batman no longer has any mystery. Not even to small children anymore. Batman is more of a fashion accessory today than a hero. I find this all so VERY sad.

And it makes me nostalgic for what is, always has been and I wager always will be my all time favorite Batman story ever published - the death of the original Batman as told in the pagers of Adventure Comics #461 - 463.

I still remember the disbelief I felt when I first read those comics more than 40 years ago when they were first published. "How could they kill the original Batman!?!" I thought. But it didn't change the fact that DC Comics did. And they made NO apologies for it.

They killed him in the most perfect way possible (I think) and moved on with life. They never went back to revisit his death, never teased that he might not actually BE dead - Nope! Those AWESOME and outstanding people in charge of DC Comics in the late 1970's just went ahead with killing the original Batman - PERMANENTLY - and moved on - just like life. It was shocking and awe inspiring at the same time. And it showed that DC Comics had some ***** and weren't afraid to use them.

I admit I was disappointed that they didn't give the original Robin and Batman's daughter The Huntress their own comic - stand alone or as a series in Adventure Comics - but when they showed up from time to time in the pages of The Justice League of America's annual meetings it was nice to see that they clearly had stories after his death even if they never told them.

I know you can purchase digital copies of these Adventure Comics on Google Play for $2 each but they are only available in black & white if anyone is interested in reading this excellent story.

That's it. I'm done.

Thank you.
  2. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

I forgot to mention...any chance that this story could be added to DCUO as a raid maybe? Jensen was obviously an overpowered boss with all that magic he harnessed and Bruce Wayne was the ONLY way to stop him. But I think it would work. And I think the fans would LOVE to see Batman die even if it is only the original Batman.

Just an excellent thought!
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

this was my favorite issue of batman when I was growing up

[IMG]

but only because there was a swear on the cover.
    • Like x 1
  4. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Worst part a out batman is hes not SUPER
    Has no powers, literally just a rich guy that knows martial arts smfh. At least stark had the cool suit (not super either FYI)
  5. CapedJustice New Player

Favourite Batman Story thread? More like hate on him thread
  6. Anti-Monitor Monitor New Player

Wasn't the story in Adventure Comics #461 - 463 about the death of Earth-Two Batman, not Earth-One Batman?
  7. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Yes. The original Batman. The one that debuted using a gun.
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

So what were all the mysteries you enjoyed that are now solved?

It's also not very useful to make claims about completely undebatable topics: how much "majesty" or "mystery" something has is not measurable by any objective metric. It's just purely subjective. So what's the point of starting arguments that can't be settled? The only result is argument for the sake of argument.

Right, and Batman/Bruce Wayne was never again seen in the DC Universe!

Clearly this entirely transformed DC Comics. If only we'd had Batman appear in DC comics or movies or animation in the past forty years! But, no. RIP, Batman. We've never seen your like since.

Jeez, about your own suggestion? Really?
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

I loved this story line. To save people some search time: There's a trial conducted by villains to see who's guilty of killing Batman. Two-Face is the prosecutor who proves what's wrong with each villains story.

BTW...This isn't the original comic cover. Notice that it says it's approved by the "Mondo" comics authority. That refers to a merchandising website. ;)
    • Like x 1