So why Circe never got her Rebirth look when she got updated?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Eve YouTuber

I mean, she looks so good. And I can see a style inspired by her. I know DCUO probably wants to have their own unique model, but I thought the route was Rebirth models?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  2. Irvynnge Loyal Player

I'm not sure. it's ok, I like the hair, especially, but I'm rather fond of the current Circe. I hope they don't update her too soon, or if they do it's only a quick cosmetic makeover rather than a full on redesign. but as a vendor / capsule style? yeah, go for it.
    • Like x 5
  3. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Most of the rebirth stuff is done. DC had I think 2 more reboots since that. For example, Superman is back to wearing red panties. With the current Omniverse in play, most characters are being seen as back to their iconic interpretations so far.
    • Like x 2
  4. Eve YouTuber

I wonder if it means characters will get new models in the future depends on what suit they might wear in the comics.
    • Like x 1
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Probably. They're probably waiting for all the changes to settle down to see what sticks and then they'll update with those as content needs it. Just guessing of course. I know I'd be annoyed if I updated a bunch of characters only to have a new reboot make them all irrelevant a couple weeks later lol
    • Like x 3
  6. EconoKnight XIII Legion

That’s happened to them twice now. Just after they updated Superman, the comics version was reverted to what DCUO had at launch.

Now they’ve updated Flash, and the comics just reverted back to the 90’s Wally West costume that was more like what DCUO had at launch.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. GoldenBrownDragonFire Well-Known Player

Definitely like this look, would definitely like to see this
    • Like x 2
  8. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

I dont think so personally. I think they just knew the old models needed texture updates and they chose certain outfits they thought fit in their universe. They drew inspiration from certain comic iterations sure but i think their outifts are meant to exist in that DCUO universe as they see them. A mixed bag basically. But better models.

I dont think they need to adhere to a certain run of comics. I think the model updates was just a perfect time to update some the looks to a more modern take. When they updated supes to no underwear they also re textured batman but didnt change his costume. If they were going strictly on rebirth they'd of made him no underwear like supes. I think they are just making them how they want to look in the game given DC gives them permission.

It also might just be DC was telling them hey we want this outfit if you're redoing so and so.

They cant be expected to be constantly updating every characters outfit.
    • Like x 1
  9. Stardazer Committed Player

I, personally, didn't like the rebirth Circe look. I really like the hair, but the rest of her looks more like a gothic vampire than an ancient Greek sorceress.

I absolutely loved her classic look:
    [IMG]

or even her look from the JL animated show:

[IMG]

But I'm happy to see a redesign in any direction for DCUO characters - it's always nice to see new styles and looks. :)
    • Like x 5
  10. Starblast Well-Known Player

I think she mostly wore this outfit during the New 52. I haven't read many new comics recently but I know she was in Justice League Dark most recently and had another new look (unless she is back to wearing this one again). I think during Rebirth when it first began she makes reference that she gets bored with just one look or something and changes it up. Her really only iconic looks I remember are the green outfit with purple hair during the mid 90s and the War of the Gods look, and the one in this game which was similar to the comics at that time. I think this was during the Amazons Attack! era. Many of her story arcs that I recall reading she would wear different outfits. I remember her spending a long absence from any of the comics right around the time this game came out. Her and Donna Troy were MIA for a long time during the new 52.

While on this topic of Circe - I don't think Michelle Forbes has done any new dialogue for her since 2016. I think the dialogue used in Wonderverse and the Anniversary Raid were just generic unused pieces of dialogue or maybe taken from another part of the game that I just don't remember. I also question if Susan Eisenberg did all her dialogue for WW for pre-pandemic. It just seems weird that they would have the voice actors voice one line or two and not do more unless of course they have a set up to do it at home. I know some voice actors have actually been doing this for years. The reason I bring her up is also is if you read a comic with Circe and don't picture her voice then it almost feels silly.

and sorry, last part of my rant. lol. - many characters look different than their comic counterparts. I don't think any of the Greek Gods actually do. They actually IMO look better in the game. Hera, Hecate, Athena, etc.
    • Like x 2
  11. Charon Lead Content Designer

Susan did all the VO for Wonderverse at the time - there was a lot of it. Michelle hasn't been in a while but hope to have her in again some day. I'm a huge geek over her and want to meet her! We do get more lines for various use when actors come in - safety lines for things we think we may need, stuff that we know we need for a current and future episode, and lines for.... other things to be revealed.

For the choice of Circe refresh, can't quite recall. We liked the choice though. She looks good. I doubt we would change her again anytime soon but in a multiverse setting, who knows what other Circes out there we may (or may not) see. A Coven of Circes to go along with the Councils of Batmen, Lexes, and Wonder Women would be nifty (no, that's not in the works).

You'll possibly notice a trend of capsule offerings this year later on, that I hope to carry over next year and if I get my way, something Circe-esque could be in the picture. No promises though - things change, especially a year out.
    • Like x 15
  12. Extinction Active Player

oh so much yes!!!! Also by the love of Godess Circe, have the style be the same for males/females, if variant for male make it alternative..
    • Like x 2
  13. Starblast Well-Known Player

well call Michelle and Susan up or tell the people at WB to call them! I speak for everyone by saying we want them back! See if they can participate in your annual charity streams you guys do! and yes...Michelle is an AMAZING actress...i love all of her movies/shows.

Edit - Btw, Thanks for all this information, Charon. It is nice to here your thoughts and plans for the game/actors/etc. Loving it!
    • Like x 6
  14. Aesthete Well-Known Player

I'm sorry but this is a style update I'm not really rooting for. It doesn't really scream goddess and it looks quite generic might I add. Were they trying to go with a punk rock Amazonian look with this style? If so it doesn't really fit visually into the storylines she's present in. Not to say there's anything wrong with a little wardrobe change here and there.

This is just my opinion though so please don't be too hard on me haha.
    • Like x 1
  15. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The picture in the OP isn’t really right for Circe, but I’d love it for my own characters. Now that Megz isn’t around anymore, can we get female chest styles shaped more like the ones from the early years? I miss having her around, especially on the forums but personally I didn’t care for that aspect of her art style.
  16. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Meg wasn't the art / creative director. She wasn't the one deciding not to have the art team oversize or individually sculpt breasts to appeal to the male gaze. So, her leaving isn't going change their decision to not exploit women in their character art.
    • Like x 2
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Whoa, steady on, I was only asking. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers or derail the thread, it’s just a preference. I genuinely thought she was the art director because she was the person who always communicated with us, made it seem like she was in charge, my mistake. It sure is quiet around here without her... :(
  18. Apollonia Dedicated Player

No, she was just a concept artist / 2d generalist. She posted because she enjoyed it and the community as far as I can tell. Her work followed direction from the Creative Director (likely SJ). It's inline with the company's efforts for inclusivity though, so it isn't likely to change even with SJ gone and now her moving on. Unless someone comes in and directly asks for this change back -- although, things might get looser if there isn't someone specifically paying attention to stuff like this going forward.

This is definitely a change I was happy about. If things go back I would be very disheartened.
    • Like x 1
  19. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

There’s nothing inclusive about the male superheroes continuing to universally present as ‘roided brick houses, either. That’s just the art style. It bothers me when I look through the costume/style suggestions thread, and see that our male characters are faithful to the comics but the females aren’t.

But that’s just my opinion. We’ve had this more realistic approach since Earth 3 about 5 years ago, it’d be nice to get some stuff like the original styles every now and again. We did get the new beach tanks two summers ago, wasn’t it? That was pretty sweet.

I’m not asking for every single new style going forward to cater to me, just a few here and there.
  20. GoldenBrownDragonFire Well-Known Player

More Circe is always a good thing, hopefully it'll happen
    • Like x 2