Why no new iconics?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Robotsidekick, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Robotsidekick Active Player

Why they refuse to add any more? it's simple thing to do to give players variety, many of the moves such as fire breath already exist. So why can't we get more? have they ever said anything about this
    • Like x 5
  2. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Yes, they have said they want to and are planning to at some point. We don't know how soon though. It could be this year or 5 years away.
    • Like x 3
  3. Kuno Loyal Player

I think the reason is because they dont work on things they can't monetize.
    I'd love to have new iconic powers, weapons, habilities for existing powersets, new powersets and so on.
    The gameplay with weapons is dead, we dont get new powersets, or new habilities not even iconics. I've been playing this game for 10 years on and off, and there is no way I can keep playing, the gameplay is boring and repetitive. It sucks being stuck with only 6 habilities. The same stuff for over 10 years, that lazy combat develpment.

But let's be real for a moment, the game is 10 years old, they need to make money. They are stuck to what they know, capsules, cromas, auras and now artifacts.
    The marketplace is a total shame, totally dead and abandoned.

Personally I think its a shame they didn't keep updating and adding at least new iconic powers, the animations and VFX are already there, but this development team usually dont have the more innovative ideas and systems, they make bad decisions thats why the game is so boring right now and they have to give away the latest episode, the last 4 episodes are total garbage.
    There is no fun, no innovation, the storyline doesnt make sense, the maps and mobs are overused and reharsed.
    • Like x 6
  4. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I'm surprised within this game's lifespan, that we still have the same quantity of Iconic powers we had years ago, I'm still on standby hoping the team switch it up abit from the usual cosmetics we've been getting.
    • Like x 1
  5. Robotsidekick Active Player

Can I get a source on this plz anyone
    • Like x 1
  6. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It's funny; if you ask the "elite" players they think the game is suffering because the content isn't hard enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I happen to agree with you. The narrative is incoherent for the most part. Players stumble from one fight to the next without explanation. Just; here-we-are-now-fight. And as expressed in other threads, it tries to half-*** it a lot of the time and get away with it. Like doing a "Flashpoint" DLC based on the least popular threads of the FP story. Or a "Legion" DLC featuring only 3 heroes and 3 villains and rounding it out with the Titans. The content itself is usually good or at least average but it's not engaging and there's no wow-factor at all anymore.

I definitely agree about the lack of innovation. BUT I don't agree with the sentiment that the devs are incapable of it. I think I've seen enough from these Devs to understand that they see the same flaws we see, and are frustrated with the same things as we are, and want to even give us most of the stuff we're asking for... but it comes down to a lack of will from the top. There's no Creative Director replacing SJ (as in; no one has been promoted from within and they aren't looking internally), which suggests a lack of new initiatives, systems, features, etc being planned because these would typically start from the CD and get pushed through.

My hope at this point is that these internal resources are being reserved for a DCUO official expansion pack. Otherwise, it's hard to justify supporting the game in its current state. Even with Jack's recent interviews expressing a commitment to these things, players need more and need to see movement on those plans to commit to sticking with the game.
    • Like x 3
  7. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Patience.
    The day will arrive.
    • Like x 1
  8. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Someone else will have to provide it. I believe Panderus most recently explained it though.

To offer context; on a number of occasions the Devs expressed a willingness to expand on Iconic powers rather than full powersets. This came up in several discussions for new powersets. That said, the official talking point of the Devs has been that it's not cost efficient to develop new powersets and they offered an explanation that most players stick with the 6 free launch powers and there's also a cost involved with ongoing maintenance and balance of powers and weapons. The important counterpoint to that argument though is recent census data that shows 2/3 of the active playerbase is using a "paid" for powerset and that the 6 launch powers aren't actually the top 6 powers used in the game as they lead us to believe. 2 of the 6 are but the other 4 are paid powersets.
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Still have no idea why they havent added a boom tube ability thats a copy past of quantum tunnel but with darksied effects. Would make pickups such a breeze.
    • Like x 3
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

As much as I agree with this, I think people who have been waiting for updates on Iconic powers have been more than patient, just saying.
    • Like x 3
  11. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Exactly what I'm thinking.
  12. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Provided the fact that the team is creating several iconic powers for NPCs in each episode. Presumably it is an idea to develop those that already exist, and only program them rather than spending time on both graphics and the coding process.
    There are already more than ,probably, 50 powers we've seen in the past episodes in addition to old Legends powers.
    e.g Canary Cry from birds of pray. Mera's shield. Magics of the silent school. Zoom's tornadoes. Kid Flash and The Flash's hands twist, Mordru's magic, Legions powers and so on.
    • Like x 4
  13. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Truth is we’ve been asking for way to long. The people who say have patience are out of their mind. How longs it been since we got a new one? Have we ever? I honestly dont know but i do know that it seems as if anything that they cant profit off of rarely sees any light. Im sure people would be more then willing to buy iconic powers from the marketplace or tie them into legendary subs.

Really hoping that with this new wave of devs we see some new burst of creativity. I really loved the ff raid, id say its top 2 we’ve gotten in the last 3-4 years! but im not gonna lie its been so long since we’ve gotten any new animations for our characters that even the most fun mission can be rather boring.
    • Like x 4
  14. Apollonia Dedicated Player

We had 2x the amount of Iconics at launch as we do now. They were removed. However, most of them were meaningless passives that were always going to be out-paced by powercreep and stat progression.
    • Like x 1
  15. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

X-Vision tho. at least back then invisible people were not visible to everyone.
    • Like x 2
  16. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Yeah pretty much "out their mind" and there is no justifying the fact of why we hsven't gotten any update within 10 years, but this is not a rant towards the Developers if that is how I'm coming off.
  17. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Always luv the backseat coders saying "it's a simple thing to do" :rolleyes:.
    • Like x 3
  18. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Probably another thing hindered by how they get stuff approved by WB/DC who can be kinda weird about what they do and don't approve, why, and when. Even when they do approve stuff it can be a frustrating, pain-in-the-butt process that can take a while in itself even not counting the time and work to do it. Prob other things at play, but that may be part of it, IDK. Just a guess given how that's been at the root of other things.
    • Like x 1
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Yikes, what a strange couple of paragraphs.

To address the question, Legends hasn't been popular with most players. Unfortunately, they are also not quick to make. We hear that feedback and have chosen to spend our not-infinite time on other things.
    • Like x 12
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Oh, I definitely read iconics as in iconic characters, not powers. We talk about new iconic powers frequently and I'd put money on us finding time for them.
    • Like x 23