What's your least favorite thing about Dcuo and why

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Oceanly, Feb 25, 2021.

1. N-IX Well-Known Player

an option to Archive and one to delete has been requested with little success, it's been 10 years since this has been requested ....
    • Like x 1
  2. Kilbane Active Player

Oh my.. so little time and room.

1. The game is the only subscription based game I've ever played that still feels like pay to win on top of a subscription. So many feats and skill points are tied up in spending tons of cash to unlock hundreds TC's for rare styles. Everything feels like you're being nickel and dimed on top of the sub (more like $5/$10/'d). I just don't understand the game model here. It isn't a subscription based game, and it damn sure isn't F2P. It isn't buy piecemeal.. It's a weird hybrid of all 3. F2P is basically like trying to play without hands. Premium gives you both hands but only 1 finger per hand. A sub gives you 3 fingers per hand. You're going to have to constantly buy more stuff to really reach end game elite levels, or even catch up with end game content if you're new or took a long break.

2. Artifact breakthrough. They take a absolutely huge amount of time and effort to level up.. then you fail to breakthrough costing literally weeks of playtime. I wouldn't mind the time sink so much if there was not a chance to fail on break through. I should not be holding onto thousands of nth metal in hopes a 2x weekend will show up and then have to break out either my wallet or valium. It should be exciting and fun to get an artifact up and to "break through" that's the point of the fancy interface right? Well it's quite the opposite. It's stressful and absolutely demoralizing to fail breakthrough. "Dev's gotta make money" is a bad excuse. Plenty of other real F2P games sell only cosmetics and they're still paying their bills and making new content. The chance to fail break throughs needs to end. It is blatantly abusive to the player base.

3. There are so many things wrong with TC's that make no sense. Opening TC's (or gabling loot boxes) is also an extremely stressful event. For some inexplicable reason I have only 2 minutes to decide if I want 1/12 of a collection item, a 1/7 piece of a armor set that doesn't tell me what set it is, let alone if I have the piece collected yet, ~10 extra quarks to put towards a guaranteed piece of something for 100+ quarks, or the extremely rare chance that I get a material or aura that I have to go to the broker and check the value on and preview to decide if I even want it. 2 Minutes now go!. This should be such a easy fix, remove the stupid 2mintue timer and that'd go a long way in helping it become less crappy. Add the set item to the loot box and indicate if we collect the style or not and you're almost there. Add a way to preview materials and auras and it'd be a decent experience opening a TC. Increase the bonus quark value to at least 40 and it may actually be fun opening a TC.

4. Old Content is nearly impossible to do at level, and pointless to do at end game. Open world 8man missions are nearly impossible once you hit JLD content. Below that they're possible basically only if you can solo or duo them.. but at that point it's just for feat farming. Players should get like a 100% dmg increase/reduction to these 4/8man bosses once the content is "retired" (Episode tokens are changed to source marks) so they can either duo or 4 man them.

5. Kind of a lead on from 5, but all content should be open for any group size. If I want to try to solo Legion HQ I should be able to. If I want to go back and farm a old raid solo for feats, or a random 4man I should be able to. Trying to find 8 competent players to run old content for a old feat is damn near impossible. Just let me do it myself.

6. Augments take way to much XP to level. Especially as a new or returning player. At a play rate of like 3hrs/day you'd have to spend months of grinding to get up to reasonably comparable stats for endgame. This wouldn't be a big deal if the player base was larger, or old content provided some reward to higher end players... but it really doesn't.

7. Open world bosses. Not the worst thing in concept.. but the vendor costs.. WTF. 8 tokens per normal boss kill.. 16 for the "big" boss in Legion. ~6mins per boss spawn. 150 tokens for a generator mod. That's (3x8 normal) X (1x16 bigboss) = 40token/24minutes. That's 1hr36minutes of solid farming for a single generator mod. Feat for 12 mods.. that's 19.2 hours of solid farming just for the generator mod feat alone. Nothing but open world boss farming for 19.2 hours of very limited gameplay for a single skill point and a very moderate bump in might/weaponization rating. Lets ignore the fact that in reality it'd take an average player months to get lucky enough to find solid farming groups to get that many beacons, and the fact you need beacons for other things like augment breakthrough items that fail. This isn't fun. Stop worrying about the handful of elite end game chasers/cheaters that somehow blow through all the content in the first week and complain about not having anything to do. Most players I'd wager don't play for 8+hrs a day. Cut the costs dramatically, or remove the skill points associated with it.. or both. Combine this with issue #4 and you're going to be left with content that is basically unobtainable unless you're a serious masochist.

8. The value of Market items is terrible. I purchased a Perfected Exobyte mega pack hoping to push my 268 might implants up to 287. I got a total of 6 levels for $5. That is basically 60 of primary stat increase. for $5. It's a joke. I will not buy anything like this again from the market. For $5 I expected to max at least one implant. It sure doesn't make me want to buy a $10 Artifact xp token to not come close even close to maxing out a artifact.

9. This game with so many interesting and varied powersets and character ideas is absolutely hostile to the concept of playing alts. Several of the issues above contribute to this. I want to play different powersets for fun and for RP/Cosplay purposes. Buying power change/movement change/name change tokens to accomplish this doesn't work. Flash does not look like Wonder Woman. John Stewart does not look like Batman. This game has some of the most interesting and best comic book cosplay ideas.. but the core structure actively discourages, if not outright prevents the ability to play this. I have 21 characters.. I can only actually spend enough time and/or money to play 1.

10. Daily maintenance at 8am CST. What the hell. Every.. freaking.. morning. I lose 2 hours of really prime potential playtime before work. I shouldn't have to play another game, or find something else to do with my 2hrs when I want to log into the game I'm actively paying for. If you need to do it daily, do it at a more user friendly time, like 3-4am. I know a lot of non-us folks play, and it's always "8am somewhere" but it is a "US" server after all.

11. Spammers, beggers, and leeches. Ignore should be account wide. I don't want to have to ignore "sfglkjerf" on every freaking character, nor do I want to ever see "Iamthebestleech" in any of my group ever again. In fact, I wouldn't mind if ignore was account wide as in if I ignore one of your characters, I don't want to ever play with you on any of your characters.

I could go on those are my biggest complaints that I feel are seriously negatively impacting this game. I could list several positive things as well, which is why I am here. I generally enjoy most aspects of the game, but it could be so so much better.. and I so badly want it to be better.
    • Like x 3
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Generation Z
    • Like x 2
  4. Lovora Liaht Well-Known Player

The thread asks to list what you hate about DCUO and WHY...and some are ignoring that part.

Some of you are forgetting to also explain WHY you hate the thing you listed. Giving a reason WHY would probably go a long way in getting the change you want instead of just saying "I hate this" and saying nothing else.

That's my two cents.

Anyway...as far as what I hate about DCUO...I hate the Valentine's event race because it seems to be very buggy. When I fly through a pink heart, there's a 50/50 chance I get the speed boost. So annoying. Ughhhhhhh!!!
    • Like x 6
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’d love to elaborate on my comment, but frankly, there’s not enough hours in the day.
    • Like x 1
  6. tukuan Devoted Player

Or at the very least accessories. I was hoping optimistically for a proty with the current content
    • Like x 1
  7. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Elite/ sm. It allows people to get a “ im better attitude “ and takes away from the devs making content everyone can play.
    • Like x 3
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Kinda thought that not liking players trying to block other players (who have met the requirements set by the devs) from running content or someone else telling me how I have to play my character (not theirs) didn't really need explanation as to WHY I highly dislike that behavior. Seemed a bit self-explanatory. :D

Plus since it's player behavior, it's not anything that's gonna change unless those people decide to change that behavior on their own. As frustrating and highly irritating as I find those actions there isn't a whole lot the devs can do to solve that particular problem.
    • Like x 5
  9. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

I would say artifacts but I think time capsules take the cake. It’s an RNG based P2W system.

You want certain feats? Open some time capsules and test your luck. Wanna get this style? You have the option of paying upwards of 500 mil for it or again. Open 300 million time capsules and hope you get it.

It’s crazy that I’ve opened at least 1000 Qwardian TCs and have yet gotten a void essence lmfao. Thank the lord for the qwarks.
    • Like x 2
  10. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

I gotta disagree with this one. DC needs hard content on this game. Otherwise it kinda takes away the accomplished feeling of beating certain content. Which is what makes gaming fun. I personally don’t like when the game is super easy and that’s the base game. SM and Elite content allow the game to be challenging while letting those who want easy quick runs to still run the easier version.
    • Like x 1
  11. Solarbound Committed Player

When the business approach for the means of making that money becomes unethical, people are entirely justified to feel that way.
    • Like x 3
  12. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Lmfao who are you playing with that you don’t need arts to run elite content? Now if you’re talking about max arts. I agree. You can have 120-130 arts and still be viable enough to run elite content. But no arts? You’re pretty much useless in comparison to somebody with arts
    • Like x 1
  13. fm0987 Committed Player

If you’re referrIng to arts or time capsules, it’s already a subscription based service, micro transactions are one thing, tying them directly to your effectiveness is another.
    • Like x 1
  14. Solarbound Committed Player

I have a long list of gripes, but I'll just give a few here:

- PVP development constantly being ignored
    - Time Capsules and Artifacts are absolute scams
    - The current character build system set in place has forced the game to become no longer alt friendly
    - The game's business model needs to be revamped
    - Older content lacking replay value and incentive for those of us among the highest tiers
    - How gold sellers have impacted the in-game economy
    - DEVS have wasted too much time on unnecessary changes, constantly killing off this game's truest potential
    • Like x 5
  15. Solarbound Committed Player

Do you? Because the issue we're talking about has nothing to do with what's supposedly required to run elite content.
  16. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Right now my least favorite thing about dcuo is the legion bounties.
    • Like x 3
  17. testerz New Player

I really don't like bounties and the fact that old currency gets phased out every dlc
    • Like x 1
  18. Solarbound Committed Player

I know exactly what the thread's about. I simply disagreed with what you had to say. It's like you're acting as if such a problem doesn't exist or not understanding the reasons as to why people say such regarding it.

And, you're proving your point how? By reemphasizing something irrelevant to the issue that was addressed? It's not even a strong point to be made to begin with as it's more so a result or effect of how players have been conditioned to play this game. The kind of players who prioritize burn over mechanics.

As far as those who argue against the way artifacts are structured with the pay wall behind them, we just want a better way for it to be implemented. We shouldn't have to feel our pockets are constantly being milked to enjoy that aspect of the game to the fullest. And, that's exactly what's happening

It's an ill-practice within the gaming industry as a whole. It goes beyond just DCUO. It's the kind of thing that needs to be talked about. The kind of thing needs to be changed as it violates ethics in business. Because when it gets to a point of manipulation, taking advantage, scamming, or even victimizing those with compulsive habits, those DEVS have to take accountability. Yet, they don't. That's exactly why players in gaming communities all throughout "crucify" them. Yet, we're in the wrong??? Funny.
    • Like x 2
  19. nanoUSB Well-Known Player

You know, my first instinct was to name exactly those, Time Capsules. But you're right, now that I think about it. Me not playing the broker is my loss. However, the nature of how they handle the availability will always be a sour point to me, as somebody who takes extended breaks on a regular basis. That's just fomo abuse in my opinion.

---

Anyway, the other thing(s) I dislike the most:

UI, more specifically the Feat section - It's awkward and clunky! Endless scrolling, total inconsistency, waiting for the text to slowly crawl along when you wanna know what you need to do etc. However, what annoys me the most is how all these ******* Time Capsule feats are just dumped into the Style sections. I'd greatly welcome it, if they were to add a "Time Capsule" section to the Style category, so I won't have to guess or google every other style to make sure it's not yet another TC style I'll likely never, or not in a long time, finish, so I can actually focus on or have an easier time finding the styles I can actually acquire by playing.

Also, Equipment Boxes not telling you what style they are, let alone if you have that particular piece or not. Another guessing game half the time, especially when you run older content you don't know or remember, prompting even more annoying google sessions to find out what they are, then check the Style section, endless scrolling, to see if you have that piece or not. In the meantime, the Loot timer is ticking ticking ticking.

edit: more UI (on PC): Stat Points section, splitting Stacks, enabling Movement/Iconic Powers: Let me confirm with Enter or some other assigned key please, somehow it seems to work on consoles.
    • Like x 2
  20. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

P2W aspects
    Not being able to put stuff on tables in our bases (don't really wanna put my ancient tomes and files and such all over my floor)
    Ironic coming from me, but we need to let the Batman stuff breathe a bit. At this point I'd rather get stuff for other Batfamily members as well as others in general. Spread and balance the love. I mean, we're a decade in and can't get the Robin R. We can get just AN R but not THE R. But we can get Damian's 8-bit face and slap that on our chests! Also just need a Robin set or two (that's just a typical, normal Robin suit and not some extra thing like the Raptor stuff). We have a lotta Bruce and a handful of Dick. Give me some Tim, give me some Damian, give me some Steph, etc.
    Not being able to pet the dang dogs, cats, and other critters. It's torture!
    Speaking of base pets, I really want more stuff for them so it can actually seem like they belong there. There's no litter boxes for the cats or food bowls that aren't tied to the dogs or beds that aren't also tied to the dogs.
    Nature power being 99.99% plants. Either make it all the way plant and give us a power for the animal end of things or make it more mixed and balanced.
    Being restricted to black and white hero and villain. Several of my characters are some sort of gray area, be it anti-hero, neutral/independent, or some sort of mixed morality. I tend to end up making these characters villains because while they aren't really black and white villains, they're too much not black and white to be heroes. It's what's technically closest of the two but they don't quite fit in the box. Going with the box thing, think of a cat squishing itself into a too-small box. It fits, but it doesn't really fit.
    Infuriating collection pieces. *Flashbacks to obsessively doing Titans content across 3 toons every day for like a month and a half or so trying to get pieces of the collection for Damian's boots and getting nowhere and only being saved by the Valentines event bringing those Boots of Diamonds (yeah, I didn't want the pattern but I was gonna make them black anyway so it doesn't show so whatever I'll take it)*
    The frustrating balance between how much PVP currency you get per match vs how much everything costs coupled with how hard it is and how long it takes to get those matches, which makes that issue even worse. I just want one rifle back style!
    The super whack economy, so many things I will just never be able to get because they're an ungodly price when they should really be so much more obtainable. I mean, some of those things I would expect to be expensive but not like THAT!
    Not everything being style unlockable, especially limited time items that you can never get another for a toon you make later and then realize it would be great for so they can just never have it even YOU have it right there. I get having limited time stuff and while it frustrates me seeing what I wish I could get but can't because I wasn't around and it ended I can understand and accept and move on and focus on other stuff that's more worth my attention, no point on dwelling. But when I HAVE it, it's really frustrating just not being able to use what I have. This is particularly frustrating with materials/chromas and auras and accessories.
    • Like x 1