Name reset

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Willythewizard, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Willythewizard New Player

Can we please get a name reset. There are a bunch of names that ppl have but don’t use, and it would be nice to free some of them up.
    • Like x 16
  2. Meow_Blue New Player

...am I the only one who thinks this might be a good idea? I mean, I'm plotting six characters out, and this is one of the absolute hardest things for me to do- get six names past the server that are actually coherent and don't look like I had to smash keys at random just to get something past that.

Maybe set a deadline of accounts that haven't logged on in some four or five years and everything else just sweep back into use for new characters to grab and use? That might free some up.
    • Like x 6
  3. Aesthete Well-Known Player

No you're not.

This has been requested numerous of times. As to when the next reclaim event will happen... Who knows.
    • Like x 5
  4. Beat Active Player

+1 I agree
    I asked for this like a year ago and everyone thought I was crazy and "selfish" to want unused names to be freed for active players. lol
    • Like x 4
  5. Jaelia Committed Player

I agree 100000%
    • Like x 3
  6. Fwames Well-Known Player

Why do I feel that these name reclaim posts are done by the same person with multiple accounts to bump it up
    • Like x 7
  7. myandria Item Storage

Umm...

No, you are not the only one who wants to see this happen; trust me, this thread will soon be filled with posts that align with yours.

Unfortunately DCUO does not have a character name maintenance system/schedule. Even if this game had one, I don't think it would work that well, as players can just easily follow the schedule and retain their character names, whether or not they actively use those characters.

In my opinion, there are more active players that are sitting on little/unused characters with coveted names than there are players who have not logged in for years with coveted character names.
    • Like x 4
  8. Staggiie Level 30

I WISH they would do a name reset. The name I want has been taken by a fresh-outta-the-tutorial level 4 since I started playing. Clearly it's not used. I would buy a name reset token so fast for it.
    • Like x 5
  9. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Some players are actually out there selling names. I would assume that those guys are the main people hoarding good names. There are some people that definitely don’t play and have good names but what if they decide to come back and they can’t use their og name? There needs to be a cutoff like. If you made it to level 30 with said unused toon.
    • Like x 1
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I can't wait for the next name reset either. It'll be hilarious when they realize they're NOT getting the name they were looking for and ask for another name reset a month later.
    • Like x 9
  11. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

I look forward to that day too....and when the inevitable posts pop up I will link them right back to this thread (along with as many as I can find pointing out this unpopular truth).
    [IMG]
    • Like x 5
  12. Solarbound Committed Player

Another one of these? Jesus Christ -_-
    • Like x 2
  13. myandria Item Storage

Good point; getting the name you want to use via name reset/reclaim has a slim to nil chance of happening. Didn't the forums blaze with players complaining about not getting the name they wanted within a month after the last one?
    • Like x 2
  14. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Oh, I'm sure we'll find something. Far better than paying 10 billion for a decent name.
    • Like x 3
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

If you didn't get the name you wanted in the last name reclaim, chances are that the person holding it hostage will continue to do so in the next reclaim. The only names that might be up for grabs will be from people who quit and have no intention of coming back, and therefore won't be here when the reclaim happens in order to secure their names. That number of people is very small. If that wasn't the case, this thread would not exist and there would have been a whole lot of happy players when it happened.
    • Like x 1
  16. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the case for many names. However, there are many, such as myself, who did not partake in the last name reclaim for whatever reason. In my case, I had just started taking the game seriously. I was a teenager in high school. I had no idea that it was even possible to get a rare name back then. So some of us aren't even looking to make up from being empty-handed in the last reclaim because we weren't even a participant.

With a reclaim, names that are previously held by a player never intending to return to the game are freed up. Even if those names are claimed by someone intending to hold it indefinitely (like a name seller), that person actually logs into the game. A player interested in the name that person claimed just may be able to contact said person in-game by shouting in trade. Or, like I did, reach out to the league members of the league the toon with the name belongs to if applicable. Or, if the name is claimed by someone who actually will use the name, there's a small chance they may be willing to trade the name if they're offered something good.

It's a fact that many names will remain inaccessible and people won't get to use them. But I think it is often underestimated how many people are sitting on names that will indeed be freed up, because they won't return. After the name reclaim, PvP went to crap, for example. Many players quit after that and for many other reasons. Game-related or not. You can see what names are more likely to be freed up just by checking the new wavedox. I've looked up many great names that belong to low-level toons that still have their wavedox picture up. That can only be possible if the toon was created around or before 2016 (as my research on when wavedox images were last updated suggest) and never deleted. Which could indicate that the name was never traded. Is it possible the owner of the name logs in on another toon? Perhaps. But when you add that name to your friend's list and play the game for years and never see them log in, send them mail and never get a response, never see anyone say they're selling that name, and you see generally the same OG names getting passed around, that tells me there's a good chance it could be freed up because no one else has it.

In general, name reclaims increase the chances of people getting the names they want, period. And if it truly is only a few people who will get the names they want, good for them? If it doesn't adversely affect you (not you necessarily, speaking in general) in any way, why oppose that? If it's just that these threads annoy you, a name reclaim will reduce their frequency. And this wouldn't be an issue if, like another forum user mentioned, these purges were regular and ongoing as in other games. It's a win-win.
    • Like x 3
  17. Caroline Dedicated Player

Mepps confirmed it's gonna happen eventually.
    • Like x 4
  18. nanoUSB Well-Known Player

Haha, I can't accurately express how funny this is. I've been sitting here trying to rationalize this topic, each thought fueling the laughter until my stomach started to ache a little.

I have nothing to say here really - except maybe "get creative then" - but mainly just wanted to thank everyone involved here for filling my morning with such unexpected joy. A bit of Schadenfreude too, certainly, but my mood is a bright as the sunshine flowing through the windows, feeding my plants.
    :)
    • Like x 1
  19. Brit Loyal Player

Even if I did not get the names that I want, I would be far less annoyed if those names went to anybody who was actually PLAYING the character.

When I look up a name and it 146CR, I shrug. When I look it up and it's level 4, fresh off the brainiac ship, and hasn't budged for five years, that is what is irritating.

Even if I can't personally have it, I would like to know that it's at least being used for real.
    • Like x 5
  20. KzR12 New Player

I thinks this NEEDS to be done as people are literally profiting off this i know people that have made $800 from selling OG names this is absurd making a name wipe fixes all this. Someone on EU wants to buy the name Devil for 10b XDD
    • Like x 1