Why we can't see who's selling stuff on the broker?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BƖack, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Rainnifer Committed Player

To buy expensive things that are hard to get otherwise. I'm not going to shell out a lot of real life money just to get something rare from a time capsule especially if I have the means to make fake money and use that instead.

It seems some people here expect the broker and the entire system to just be set up to give you all everything for free. It doesn't work like that.
    • Like x 5
  2. nawanda Loyal Player

I vote no. If I list something on the broker, I don’t want to negotiate. If I was open to negotiation I’d use trade chat. I don’t want to spend all day getting random PMs from interested parties or beggars. This is a truly, truly abysmal suggestion.
    • Like x 1
  3. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

You wouldn't need to shell out real world money but I can guarantee you that people are. Because prices are so high. Which brings in more fake money. But if all the prices were like normal let's say, you'd only be using in game cash no matter who you are because everything would be much more in reach. This has become Jeff Besos and Musk own personal Ebay and the poors just struggling to buy a single piece they need 50 of.
    I'm not expecting change, I just ignore the broker for the most part. If I really need something then I'll list something but I do what I can to stay out of it
  4. myandria Item Storage

Hmm
    Umm...

LOL! Sorry, pal, but that's not gonna happen with me; when I post on the broker I undercut by at lest 50% or more. Most of the stuff on the broker isn't even worth 20 mil in my opinion, including materials, auras, chromas and accessories. It's amazing how someone marks up a "basic aura" 300 times or more after I put it on the broker for about 300k. "Shrugs" ahh well; I have enough cash on most of my characters to get them through generator maintenance and repairs. :D
    • Like x 2
  5. myandria Item Storage

Well...

If you look at other games that have auction/bazaar vendors instead of a broker as this game has, you will see that they do not list the player name/account name, either. If you are selling items on the broker, do you really need to know who is buying them? Of course not; you have made your money once someone purchases your stuff. The same holds true for buying items on the broker; you don't need to know who is selling them, you just want the item at a price you are willing to pay.

What you are really asking for is a haggling system, and that simply will not work for online games for privacy issues alone.
    • Like x 3
  6. Proxystar #Perception

I don't support the idea, but i think you've gone above and beyond what they were suggesting, I think they were simply asking to see the player name, not their social media accounts and what they had for breakfast lol
    • Like x 1
  7. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

People actually buy gold from those spammers???
  8. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

You have the option to get certain items without the use of the broker, but they are hard to get, and that’s why people sell those items expensively. If you give away Raven Self Portraits. Good for you but the broker is just a shortcut to get certain items.and nothing more. If you don’t have the time or patience to run stabilizer events to open time capsules enough to complete a collection. You go to the broker, and if yoh can’t afford said items you need. Then you just can’t. You believe you’re right because you’re entitled to certain items. That’s not how the game or the economy works. If you want a certain item. You choose the route you wanna take to get it.

The broker route is an expensive route, but it’s the quickest way to get what you want.

You have the option to test your luck whether it’s chasing a rare style or it’s running the stabilizer event this one takes the most time

But you also have that option to beg for the item which is imo pathetic but there are people out there who are willing to give up rare items to beggars.

I chose to go the broker route and yes it does include me buying up certain items and setting the market to a higher price but guess what. It works, and I get to complete certain feats that would require me to open a bunch of time capsules when I have no interest in doing so. At the end of the day. The broker never broke the game. Yeah the economy is jacked snd even after taking a long break from the game. I quickly adapted. It’s not that big of a deal.
  9. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Another thing. The broker in no way shape or form hurts anybody from running with others. There are thousands of feats in this game and you aren’t missing out on an unfathomable number of SP because people sell items high, if they really want SP. they can go out and complete content for SP. the broker doesn’t bar anybody from anything except rare stuff that’s hard to get already.
    • Like x 1
  10. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Exactly. Items are hard to get, and they make it seem as if they’re entitled to the item simply because it’s in the game.
  11. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Your opinion is your opinion but if you wanna undercut me by 50% I can make triple off of it so it’s whatever. I need certain feats so the extra $$$ you let me save is a plus
  12. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Please explain to me how using the broker is exploiting. I made a ton of DC cash legitimately just getting items from content and selling them. Buying rare items cheap and resetting the market. If there was some sort of issue. I would have 0 sales.... My goal on this game was to be able to get everything I need without having to spend money to get it that was it. You may be against it and that’s fine but the broker works as intended whether you like it or not.
    • Like x 1
  13. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

You’re exploiting premium players who can only sell things for a maximum of 60k because of the 5% broker tax. You’re taking advantage of this to not let someone get a bargain but to make money off them by reselling it at a higher price. Sometimes I sell a low priced item for 3k so a premium player can buy it. You’re sweeping in and getting it and reselling it for a price out of range for that player.
    • Like x 1
  14. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

Perhaps there could be a Need vs Greed aspect of the broker. You can only buy an item from the broker if you don’t have it, consumables and catalysts excepted. This will stop resellers from inflating prices. So for example if you see a collection or style on the broker for under the market price that you‘ve already had you can't exploit premium players buy buying cheap and selling high and making the difference with no benefit to the community.
  15. myandria Item Storage

Unfortunately, yes; some players want to be part of "The End Game" crowd so bad that they will buy from gold spammers just to get the stuff they need/want from the broker without having to play too much of the game.
    • Like x 1
  16. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

If people complain that they can’t buy items for their Alts then items bought on the broker could be made Account Bound if they were otherwise tradable.
  17. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Well then premium players could get a membership to get full access to the broker like I did? What you want me to say I’m sorry for giving DC my money for access to the broker and taking advantage of that perk? Because I don’t really understand the point you’re trying to make. If I see you put a cosmic aura in the broker for 3k. The first thought in my brain is that whoever did it made a mistake or maybe they intended to do that and I grab it up asap to resell it for 150 million...I’m not thinking “Oh a premium player might need that so I’ll let it stay there” cmon man.

The broker is a game with no rules. You do whatever you want and you either profit or lose cash. There’s no consideration for other players because those other players won’t consider you. If you decide to put a super rare item in the broker for cheap best believe it’ll be gone in seconds and the intended people you wanted to get said item didn’t get it. If you want to give players rare items. Use shout chat simple as that.

Last point. Nobody is entitled to anything and the whole point of the broker is to sell items to make a profit. When you try to put a limit on those kinds of things. Guess what... Prices go up even more because you’re in turn making those rare items even rarer. Then the ones who end up losing the most are those people you thought you were protecting by placing the limits in the first place. It’s basic economics.
    • Like x 3
  18. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

Umm..

No.

I can tell you right now that it will not work; when you put hard limits/restrictions how many items that can be bought/sold it stymies the economy even further, and encourages players to not use their broker/auction/bazaar vendors at all. This would encourage resellers to set prices higher than they are now, because they would see that their items would have little pricing competition. I have played games in the past (around the late 1990's/early 2000's) that had similar restrictions; it didn't work out well and gold spammers had little to no trouble making money. Those games are either gone or have had to change their in-game markets to allow players to buy and sell freely.

"Puts on 'Devil's Advocate' Hat"
    The function of the broker is to allow players to move unwanted items out of their inventories and make in-game money while doing so. There is an added benefit of getting items/collections/gear faster than just playing the game. Those are the main benefits, nothing more. If the broker prices become out of control as it has before, then the devs will once again look into it to root out any exploits and act accordingly if they find any, like they did before.
    "Takes off 'Devil's Advocate' Hat"

Buying items cheap and selling them at a higher price is pretty much standard across online MMO's and mirrors how buying/selling works in real life if you think about it.
    • Like x 3
  19. Beard Maaaan Well-Known Player

There would be no resellers, thats the point. People who have an extra of something selling to people who want something, no speculation or arbitrage.

There would be no restrictions on what you can sell. Farm all you want, sell it for as much as you can get. You want/ need something to complete a style or collection, have at it. Just no flipping, no purpose in that, that’s scalping.
    • Like x 3
  20. Jurandyr Ross Well-Known Player

Yes, they do. Thank the many time capsule feats and the broken economy for that. I still remember my league mate saying on mic "I just buy the money. I'm not gonna gamble with the capsules, and the game money I make is not enough". I assume many others are in the same situation where they may be tempted to buy money.