10th Anniversary Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Please read this letter from DCUO Senior Producer, Landon "Panderus" Falls!

10 Years of DC Universe Online

Hello and happy anniversary! Before I get into the news, I want to thank everyone for supporting us through this year and in these challenging times. It warms my heart that we have been able to get through the last year together, and that DCUO has been a place of connection and normalcy in an increasingly disconnected and chaotic world.

As you know, this year isn't just our anniversary - this is our 10 year anniversary - so with thanks and celebration, we have rolled out a ton of FREE gifts through the end of the month, including a new CR290 character advance. Just log in before January 31st to claim your gifts, and enjoy with our appreciation.

Remember also that the anniversary event is already live, and it is bigger and better than ever for this momentous occasion. The open world has been entirely redone, and the team has put together what I think is one of our very best raids: the Speed Force Flux event raid and elite raid. Make sure to check it out!

Looking back, we have had an amazing 10 years, and it is thanks to the passion of everyone involved - of our players, our developers, our partners, and, yes, our vocal community who never let us rest and always push us to be better and do more. It takes every one of us and you, and the proof is in the last decade of adventures.

Over those 10 years, we have launched DCUO on FIVE different platforms, released 39 episodes, over 100 game updates, and continually pushed the boundaries to improve our content, our systems, our art, our stories, and our tech in ways no one would have ever thought possible back in 2011. I want to position us so that we can continue that trend for another 10 years.

Last year brought a lot of changes for the game and our studio, including rebranding as Dimensional Ink and our recent partnership with EG7. These developments also serve to set us up for another decade of DCUO, and I am incredibly excited about what's to come. While I won't be able to share the next decade's plans, I am here to share a bit about what's next in 2021.

The next episode is well underway and already starting to come together. In Episode 40, we'll use Flashpoint as a source of inspiration, matched with a more traditional content structure after several episodes focused on the new and different. More on that in the coming months.

Later in the year we will have our official PlayStation 5 native client launched, with a set of changes focused on how to make DCUO look and play best on that new platform. Additionally, we will be looking into how to further bring graphical improvements to the game to keep pace with modern hardware. While the options are many and details few right now, we expect to make a combination of art and engine improvements to really make the game shine.

When we get to mid-year, we will focus on how we can improve the game for new and returning players, to smooth out some of the rougher edges and better handle the vast amount of content 10 years tends to accumulate. We also have plans for a special piece of content you have long been surviving the wait for, and I am happy to say that we have expanded the team recently, hiring new allies with a focus on creating features and updates for the game.

On a personal note, one of the best things about working on a game like DCUO is the sense of community it creates and how it grows over such a long period of time. The passion, the discussions, and the wonder never gets old. So thank you again for 10 years, and here’s to another 10 I know we will build and enjoy together.

Landon “Panderus” Falls
    Senior Producer, DCUO
    • Like x 38
  2. Aren Sul Committed Player

Thank you. I've been a member for 9 of the 10 years (All Access), and this team never fails to surprise and delight me. Here's to another 10 years.
    • Like x 4
  3. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

While I am super excited about the coming years as a veteran player ( started in April 2013), are the big DLCs coming back in place of the current model?

The grind of 100 bounties over raids is meh, it makes me not want to play. The current grind for 31st Century.. Just keep button mashing for boss, to boss to boss, wash, rinse repeat. There is very little mechanics. This is the reapers feat for every episode.

I do love the new raid for the yearly event, that made me remember all the fun I've had in the game over the years, the struggles of some of those bosses.

I also understand last year made everyone in the world change things. My hope is the big DLC with storylines like War of the Light, Amazon Fury, Etc.

Thank you all, for the work you all do.. I do appreciated it, making me still play this close to 7 years is because of the work you do!
    • Like x 4
  4. MystoganJella Well-Known Player

WELL SAID :)
    • Like x 1
  5. inferno Loyal Player

10 years...my goodness, who would have imagined. I've never played an MMO before this game and I've never had an ounce of regret for ever playing and investing my time and money in it.

Long Live DCUO!
    • Like x 3
  6. SkullGang Devoted Player

PS5 client ? Art and Engine improvements ?

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  7. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

Survival Mode Confirmed! :D
    • Like x 3
  8. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

• Like x 3
  9. Kuno Loyal Player

You guys better expand at least already existing powerset with new habilities, new iconic powers and even more habilities to play in the already limited tray.
    It's a shame that we never got our powersets or iconics expanded in 10 years.
    The combat right now its super boring and repetitive, besides having a smooth and action packed gameplay, we need new things to play with. 6 habilities in the tray is a joke, same habilities from a powerset at lvl 30 or CR 300 its a shame too.
    I hope the game really improves, lets see...
    • Like x 2
  10. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

A teaser video... screenshot... something? Now would have been as good a time as any... I get it, things can change, we're living in bad times, etc, but we've been waiting months for this to only be told to wait more months for concrete details on future content. It's the 10th anniversary, I wanted to be filled with hope and anxious excitement to know and see what kind of content or client improvements are coming but instead I'm just filled with anxiety and ambiguity because I don't really know what is being said. Just something about traditional content returning with flashpoint inspiration as the jumping off point. Well, what of it though? I'm sorry Mepps, I appreciate everything you and the devs do, and the anniversary event changes/gifts, but the last half of the letter isn't really saying much. Am I jumping the gun here and being rude? I'm sorry if I am, I just was expecting more content details considering it's the big 10th anniversary. Is something going to be shown later today or tomorrow? A twitch live video stream on Friday? Or something? :(
    • Like x 2
  11. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

I feel the same way but the day isn't over. They for sure said they were doing a livestream for the 10th anniversary. I hope they didn't just decide last minute to just post everything instead. My hope is at the end of the livestream batuba says a few revamps are going to test server. A few I would like to see sp tree revamp/buff. A gear revamp powers/weapons iconic tree and supercharges. A full artifact rework. Reworking the gear system to take in all the content the game has to offer instead of end game to assure players gear matters. Reworking the sp tree to reassure the player base skill points matter. The list goes on... I really don't understand how we can do another survival mode or keep doing elite content. All that does is give the broken player base who use whats broken to boast about how if you are trash then elite and sm isn't for you. Lets revamp stuff before we keep doing sm and elite. Elite and sm is a place for broken players to go and beat with others who know whats broken. Lets try and turn the game around this year and make sp matter and gear matter instead of whats broken. Im hoping this all starts this month
    • Like x 1
  12. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

Been a member since March of 2012, Played free a few months in '11, signed up
    realizing this was the game for me.
    It's been a good decision and can't wait for what's next.

Thanks for gifts some really cool stuff today ;):)
    • Like x 3
  13. LexxCorp Well-Known Player

Well done and I am excited on the direction DCUO is heading! Here's to another decade of celebration!
    • Like x 2
  14. Panderus Senior Producer

Only because its the Anniversary and you asked nicely. Godfather rules, and to clarify, you used up the one request for the whole community :p.

We used this for inspiration for something that will be in the next episode... It's too early for most things still to show off.

[IMG]
    • Like x 16
  15. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I will be honest, despite the rough updates these past 10 years that basically killed the mode that kept me playing this game, I've always had that ich to come back and play dcuo, no matter what new game that has come out and that is a thanks to the talented, passionate developers behind the scenes, I am deinitely excited for the future of dcuo, Thanks for the great content and happy anniversary.
    • Like x 3
  16. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Ah-ha! That sheds some light on the Celsius clue we were given last week in a different thread. Heat Wave was a big part of the Flashpoint Hall of Doom story.
    • Like x 3
  17. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The dev team has become a little bit more open in regards of what they work on recently. I really appreciate that and would appreciate even more insight, since its super interesting to me to see stuff that might be still super buggy. But thats also quite funny to see most times.

Obviously showing content way ahead of time doesnt work, but different systems youre working on like artifacts or the upcoming supercharge revamp would be awesome to get a sneakpeek at during one of the devstreams. Concept art for upcoming styles would also be greatly appreciated. :)
    • Like x 4
  18. Terror-Go-Round New Player

Thank you so much for the gifts, especially the member ones! The artifact xp will be put to good use.
    • Like x 1
  19. Captain1Dynamo Committed Player

So, what's traditional? If it means truly historic like Tier 2-5 then no Open World & focused on just a few instances in each DLC. Tier 6 & Halls of Power, some Open World, a solo/duo, alert & a couple Raids per Ep. Tier 7 no Open World, only a couple instances per Episode. Or maybe it means AF III / Age of Justice - 2 Open Worlds, Solo/Duo, Alert, Raid.

Really it could mean anything. Either way I think we all look forward to continuing to play the game we love & thanks for everything, devs, Happy Anniversary!
    • Like x 1
  20. MrChiCity0884 Well-Known Player

I'm highly upset my membership expired on the 6th I bn trying to get my membership back since the 7th every time I go to purchase it I get a error message but I don't get a error message when I bought some MP cash...I bn asking this one every thread and now I have lost out on my membership gifts I'm highly upset I spend good money on this game and not one Dev is responding to any of my post abt why membership is being denied but not the purchase of MARKET PLACE CASH...and I'm not the only one a few others have told my they are having the same issues
    • Like x 1