Please Fix Targeting

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by MetaMax75, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

^^

The only time I want to target a pet is in 1vs1 against sorcs. Would go a long way to solve pvp targeting woes (which is like 90% of the issue with pets imo).
    • Like x 1
  2. 478874 Dedicated Player

Mepps, I hate having what may appear to be an adversarial stance with you all. First, I am super appreciative to how open and receptive you all are to us, who play the game, and I know others are too. I think that's often lost on the forums because when people get on here, it tends to be rage-driven.

Second, this game is brilliant. In particular, I love the combat system. I've played a lot of MMO's and a bevy of other online games (love competition/group elements) including the Madden/NCAA series and straight fighting games and honestly, I think the bare bones of this game combine some of the best elements of all those games at once.

As far as thing targeting bug goes, that's the best way I can explain it. I will be leveling up a new toon this weekend with some league members doing the same, so I will record our instance runs and see if I can capture what's happening by accident. It's hard to duplicate at will but happens enough to think, 'maybe something is slightly amiss.

Thank you for your patience with us!
    • Like x 7
  3. Frostmourne New Player

How to reproduce: get a barrel and place it between you and an enemy. Star a weapon combo. The target will go to the barrel.

In the very begining of the game in Brainiac ship on the part you have to fight the mobs it takes years to target a mob. Every tab I do focus target in a barrel or something else, but not an enemy.
  4. Brennsinger Well-Known Player

I still have problems with the permissions to my lairs on USPS3. I have 4 bases, and after each server reset, I have to set up league permissions again. There are 3 different leagues I give access to enter base and use amenities, and it appears it is random which league the system 'forgets'.

The system removes the leagues completely from my roster, not just resets the permissions.

Permissions on an individual level seem to persist, however.

I bought 1 additional deed on launch day, was unable to purchase deeds afterwards, but got 2 more from the loyalty vendor.
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Were you locked onto the enemy before you started your combo, and it still switched over? Or did it start on the barrel.
  6. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

While I have experienced what appears to be a random targeting switch. I think the auto-target system in general needs to be looked at.

I realize this isn't really the thread, since it isn't a bug. But I find it beyond annoying that my auto-target will choose either a barrel, or a NPC 10 ft (might be an exaggeration) away, who is ignoring me, Rather then the 4 NPCs that are actually firing on me.
  7. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

No, this is the right thread for this. If it isn't a bug it's garbo design and needs to be addressed.
    • Like x 1
  8. YodaDog New Player

Mr. Mepps, I am locked on a target, firmly holding L1. And my target switches automatically. It happens all the time. Just play one FoS arena and it will happen at least once. Prolly more like 10 times. Also, which target I lock on seems completely random. It is more likely to target me on the object across the room than the NPC punching me in the face. Why? Is that intended? The targeting would play so much smoother if while scrolling targets, it started with the objects closest to me and worked outward. That is not what happens. It is extremely annoying for everyone and we would all love to know if that is intentional, and if not, when we might expect to see some sort of fix.

Thank you.
    • Like x 2
  9. Namor New Player

[quote="YodaDog, post: 31576, member: 642"] Mr. Mepps, I am locked on a target, firmly holding L1. And my target switches automatically. It happens all the time. Just play one FoS arena and it will happen at least once. Prolly more like 10 times. Also, which target I lock on seems completely random. It is more likely to target me on the object across the room than the NPC punching me in the face. Why? Is that intended? The targeting would play so much smoother if while scrolling targets, it started with the objects closest to me and worked outward. That is not what happens. It is extremely annoying for everyone and we would all love to know if that is intentional, and if not, when we might expect to see some sort of fix.

Thank you.[/quote]

^^^ THIS......which is why I asked earlier about the lock options for gamepads.
  10. Frostmourne New Player

It did start on the barrel. I mean Mepps I understand the logic behind this: target barrels firts over anything else, since barrels seen to "benefit" the player. But some fight it's just annoying. Like Bane fight in Ol' Gotham Subway duo. If you try to target Bane hitting tab, you may target every nearby barrel b4 you can target Bane.

But answering your question, yes, sometimes it switch targets even if you are locked. this happens mostly in ranged fights where you have more targetable objects between you and the desired target.

The actual cenario is: if you don't lock onto targets when you lunge/range/cast something/whatever it targets the first nearest non-enemy target such a barrel or something else. When you are locked on target sometimes it changes to the neares non-enemy target.
  11. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

Ran Hospital Duo this morning on USPS3. I was toe to toe with the boss and locked onto him. As I fought him my target lock kept switching to the turrets behind him, then I would have to hit the d-pad to switch back to the boss. This happened 3 times during the 30 second boss fight.
    • Like x 1
  12. Nekron 99 Loyal Player

Last night we ran FOS1 The Chasm and while we were fighting the end boss my target focus changed automatically. If you are facing the end boss and Kypto I was on the left of them between him and the front left set of pillar things that you have to destroy to free Krypto. While I was targeted on the big guy (holding L1 firmly) my target crosshairs jumped to one of the pillars behind me. This turned me completely around and I had to hit right on the d-pad to get back to the boss. I didn't hit the d-pad to change targets. This just happened automatically. No clue why that pillar needed to die at that moment.
    • Like x 1
  13. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

After we ran FOS (I'm in Nektron's league The Rebeis) I did a few lair duels. The first two were against Sorcery healers with Watchers. In both duels I would be locked on the other player and my target would switch to their watcher, and then I would not be able to cycle back to them with the D pad. I would have to let go of lock and then regain lock on the other player. Multiple times.
  14. BomombRook New Player

I have the same problem as well. When I am tanking, I try to pull aggro and then try to pull those that are straying off from the grouped up adds, but when I try to target them so I can lunge attack them to use back draft on it to group it again, my character targets a add that is across the room instead. Like in fos when I am trying to lunge attack non after he knocks me back, my guy locks onto the giant golems things instead of non even though i was locked on non in the first place.
  15. Stitch Well-Known Player

I was running Batcave Legends last night. I got knocked out.

As I came back and approached the node, I saw both enemies sitting there. When I got a little closer, my reticle targeted the turret BEHIND THEM.

Two enemies in front of me and I target the turret behind them. That's how great this targeting system is Mepps.
  16. kgghk New Player

usps3 gamepad

Its seems like when you activate targeting it snaps to the the enemy or object that is in the straightest line with you, depending on your camera angle instead of the closest thing to you.

Also you should change it so you can't auto target an object. Set it so you have to target then hit any direction to target objects.
  17. 478874 Dedicated Player

Guys, I like all the feedback in this thread. I know it's frustrating but please try to keep things constructive. Attacking Mepps and the devs about the quality of the game/targeting system does nothing to help matters, so as tough as it may be, please try to keep your subjective comments out of this. TIA!
  18. Rennji New Player

I don't know how you Guys target.
    but I have yet to run into this issue.

One thing that helps. is paying attention to your targets. If your understanding of where your reticule is . and the target you want to attack. If you see that it has changed targets with your doing ( which most of the time, IT IS YOUR DOING , people just don't like to call out on there bad gameplay) Then the best bet is to use the Clear Target key or C on your keyboard. This allows you to stay where you are and target what ever your looking @ with your reticule.

If people did less face pounding against keyboards, and more focusing they could see that they swapped targets, and change it accordingly before they go leeping across the room.

saves time, increases dps.
  19. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

Running Legends with Stitch on Friday. My target was locked on Amon Sur, but would immediately switch to his construct when he summoned it. This was happening to Stitch as well. It was then very, very difficult to get the target to switch back to Amon. I also, repeatedly, had my target lock switch from my opponent to one of the turrets behind me. I also had an opponent in front of me, in the center of my screen, I would hold target lock and I would do a 180 and target the turret behind me.
  20. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

Just count your lucky stars (that the God of targeting) smiles upon you.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.