Daybreak not taking advantage of the PS5 power or SSD?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Swiftduck Loyal Player

funny. It makes me laugh.
  2. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You might have missed an announcement a while back when Daybreak's reorganization occurred and DCUO separated into its own studio (Dimensional Ink). Along with that came the mention from Jack Emmert in an interview that they would be making a brand new IP next-gen MMO. Also, some forumites saw they were hiring some new Devs and in those postings knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 or 5 was asked for. When you also factor the Pandemic (which has slowed down all kinds of work), we have to expect a bit of a wait for a native client for both PS5 and Series X (which they might want to release simultaneously).
  3. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

Btw, the PS3 wasn't abandoned because it was holding the game back...it was let go because SONY was ending ALL online support for PS3. Can't exactly play an online game without online services.
  4. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I hear this in the Watchtower all the time. The DCUO software was starting to be developed before the PS3 was released so we really gotta settle with the idea that we're going to be playing a PS2 game on the PS5. It's one of the longest running jokes on YouTube whenever DCUO has a new video up.
    • Like x 1
  5. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Yea but it was convenient way out. A lot of the new texture work and cloth physics outside of capes wouldn't have been possible. I still remember that if you wore a trench coat with a cape it would stick to your legs.
    • Like x 1
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We have not made any PS5 specific changes yet.
    • Like x 7
  7. theAverageGuy Well-Known Player

For a ps2 game, they're charging like a it's new game; double dipping subscription model and micro-transactions.
    • Like x 1
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

:rolleyes:
    • Like x 8
  9. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

You don't have to be a member. Or do micro transactions. That's a choice. Ps3 used to be free online. Ps4 you are forced to pay a subscription for online. That's not a choice. The only choice they give you is to not play online if you don't pay. Dcuo will let you play entirely free tho once you've paid playstation their monthly fee.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

You actually don't need PS+ for DCUO.
    • Like x 11
  11. SekretVillain Loyal Player

You dont have to pay JS
    • Like x 1
  12. Jafin 10000 Post Club

If that logic were true then that would mean that all of the PS3's launch and launch window games were actually PS2 games. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 3
  13. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

Now I find this out?? Lol oh well. Xbox just got me for the yearly sub fee yesterday and it's probably been over a year since I turned that on. Shows how well I pay attention to these things. But yep, definitely didn't know I didn't have to be a ps member
  14. BitGam4r Well-Known Player

The simple answer to the thread title is: 10 yr old buggy game on a brand new console.
  15. BumblingB I got better.

I remember that being a thing since launch on the PS4. It was part of how they handled their servers and transition from PS3 to PS4.
    • Like x 2
  16. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

This was the one saving grace of DCUO being on PS4, that you didn't need PS+ to play online. That was a requirement for all of the new PS4 games that were coming out. I still don't have PS+....made no sense when DCUO is all I really play regularly (any other game I play is at least 2-3 years old and therefor heavily discounted, like the InFamous series).
    • Like x 2
  17. Apollonia Dedicated Player

DCUO was in development for about 5 years before launch. First 2-3 were pre-production like planning, concepting etc. Last 3-2 years was development, iterating and testing. You can actually do the math from DCUO's launch time from when the PS3 launched. Go ahead.

There's nothing stopping you from thinking for yourself and doing the math yourself and not believing basic people who are being basic.
  18. Walvine Well-Known Player

Practiacally all games in psn from free to play section needs no ps plus, online play is still free , Some deals from game companies have features for ps plus subs like destiny 2 locks access to certain group raid content and some extremely over priced dlc, All of Ps plus collection games need subscription because the are technically rentals not free, psplus currently is to ps5 what psnow is to ps4.
  19. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed in our community. After nearly ten years, we're slipping, I think. When Mepps says:

...we're supposed to speculate wildly about what yet means so that later on down the line, we can accuse the devs of making unfulfilled promises! (It's about standards, really...)

I'll start: DCUO is getting the Unreal Engine 12 on the PS5 for Christmas this year!
    • Like x 4
  20. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

You are both missing my point, geez. Did I write that I myself believed that DCUO is a PS2 game, no? However the general public believes that DCUO was originally a PS2 game. That's my point.