Using instanced content as open world

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Saint Nutella, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Someone mentioned this in another thread (don't want to name them just in case it makes them feel uncomfortable/against the rules), but I think it deserves its own thread.

They suggested reuisng older instanced content and turning them into open worlds. Basically exactly how Age of Justice did this with Area 51.

Devs, have you considered this? I imagine it would be probably difficult to do this after you already created a concept for an episode, but I think it would be pretty cool. And with respect, I'm kind of tired of always going back to Gotham and Central City, even though I really like both cities.

Here are the instanced areas that I think would make for dope open world areas:

- Kahndaq (but probably expanded a little)

- Oolong Island

- Coast City (expanded and updated)

- Gorilla Island

- HIVE Moon

- Smallville (can't believe this hasn't happened yet honestly)

- Qward (but greatly expanded) if we ever get lantern content again

Speaking of more areas that can be used as opposed to the same areas over and over again, I think Arkham Asylum would be nice to return to. I mean both the outdoor area and the instanced Arkham Asylum. I don't think we have ever had any missions that were actually on or near Arkham Asylum at all in this game. I wouldn't be mad if Stryker's Island made a reappearance too. I don't remember being there since we had to do missions related to that weird toy guy with the big head.

Any additions or thoughts?
    • Like x 7
  2. TheCMS Well-Known Player

Coast City and Central City should definitely be used and expanded. We see the same 3 block area of Central City every time we go. They're pretty important cities in DC lore too, along with places like Fawcett, Keystone, Star City etc.
    • Like x 6
  3. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

the gotham city zoo demands more attention.
    • Like x 4
  4. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

I'm surprised they haven't used some of the ones you listed really and expand on them allot of potential.
    • Like x 2
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Part of it could be the fits thrown by some players when the devs do reuse areas or any other assets of the game.
    • Like x 1
  6. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

True, though we already know they reuse the same areas. Might as well reuse one that we haven't seen often instead of boring parts of Gotham and Central City again and again.

I would rather explore Kahndaq, the Moon, or Oolong island as opposed to Central City for like the 6th time.
    • Like x 5
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Personally, there is no issue with using large maps as open world. I bet a lot were developed like that in mind.

It probably has to do with what they are doing thematically. Area 51 made sense because of the time travel element.

Oolong and Kahndaq would be good for finishing up a Black Adam story DLC. And it can coincide with the Black Adam movie coming out next year.

HIVE Moon could have been used so many times already. It's the moon. lol
    • Like x 2
  8. Kuno Loyal Player

They should use the damn moon map.
    • Like x 4
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I wouldn't mind it myself. I don't run much in the way of large group content so getting to explore those areas I haven't seen would be a plus.

But like I said, you've got some folks that seem to think reusing locations or assets is a cardinal sin or the equivalent of doing mean-spirited things to small animals, so...*shrug*
    • Like x 1
  10. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I wouldn't even mind if they used PvP maps once in awhile. Australia might make for a fun duo, fighting alongside Global Guardians representative Tasmanian Devil. :)
    • Like x 2
  11. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Australia is a great suggestion!
  12. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

There were a couple of different maps for the Fortress of Solitude raids. I'm wondering if they could be stitched together to make an open world? It's been a while since I've done those raids so my memory of them is a little hazy and I'm not entirely sure if they would work, but from what I can remember, I think they could. They were pretty big areas. Could work well with the devs current trend of doing farmable world bosses. Those maps were literally designed for large boss fights after all, lol

Although they are much more recent maps, it would be a shame if we didn't go back to the Atlantis and Titans Island open worlds at some point.

Smallville and the Moon have to happen though
    • Like x 1
  13. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Ooh I didn't think about Fortress of Solitude. I think it could definitely be an enjoyable map if pieced together. Shouldn't be much smaller (if at all) than War-Torn Village.

I also agree about Atlantis and Titans Island. I generally don't like it when any maps go to waste, especially well designed ones.

And I absolutely agree, Smallville and the Moon must happen and are loooong overdue. I can't believe we haven't seen the Moon since like T2 which was at least 8 years ago. I think we've only been to Smallville once since it was released which is unfortunate.
  14. MrStoob Well-Known Player

I did notice though, that the Titans Island map is basically a re-skinned Arkham Island. :)
  15. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Is it really? Well I haven't been on Arkham since I was getting my explore feats some years ago so I hardly remember what it looks like.
    • Like x 1
  16. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

I don't mind the occasional revisiting of older stuff that hasn't seen much activity lately, there's so much to DC's world/cities/place that can be fleshed out. But it shouldn't be done to the detriment of creating entirely new area zones, or as an excuse to NOT create a new zone. There has to be a good reason to do so, both thematically and for content structure reasons. And I would have a preference that the older area should be updated and expanded upon/made larger. Basically, just add new areas/expand around the perimeter outwards. And add hubs, safehouses, and instances within that open world that you can walk into, like a walk-in duo/solo. Add some NPCs that are going about their business/walking around and that you can help out within missions as well. You know, make it more lively and put some attention to detail. Instead of just, hey lets just walk into Kandaq and do some missions there because it hasn't been done before and because it would be cool.
    • Like x 1
  17. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

We've been to Gotham like 1000 times but not BLUDHAVEN. I think it would be a fun map to play on if it were expanded a bit.
  18. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

Sorry to necro this old thread lol, but I thought I should give an update.

I actually walked into the old FoS raids recently and did them solo for a laugh (although I did get stuck half-way through one of them where you have to split into 2 groups lol), and now I firmly believe they would make an awesome open world if pieced together! The maps were actually a lot bigger than I thought they were, with loads of connecting tunnels linking up wide open spaces. The devs could easily hide away bosses in all kinds of places in there! One of the raids starts outside the fortress and it actually still looks really pretty! It would make a cool place for the vendors to hang around in.
    • Like x 2
  19. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I agree 100%. I would love to see them merged.
    • Like x 1