Daybreak not taking advantage of the PS5 power or SSD?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

So I was blessed to be one of the few people to receive a PS5 and noticed that everything down to even the loading of the open world Gotham and Metropolis is exactly the same on the PS4 as it is on the PS5.

Why not take advantage of the new SSD speed so I can load into a level in 1-2 seconds?

I do not recommend someone buying a PS5 if the majority of their time is on dcuo. Everything is the same. Graphics, load times, audio ,etc. It does feel a bit smoother though in gameplay but that's about it. If you play other games then the PS5 is an excellent console.

This is what I was afraid of. All this new horsepower and it will be the exact same as when the PS4 came out. The PS3 used to be blamed for the performance issues of the game but nothing really changed on the PS4 version in comparison. In fact, they pulled and got rid of animations from weapons and powers that was somehow able to run on the older PS3 hardware....strange.

I guess this game may never experience a true graphical or level loading update to make it worth playing on next generation consoles.
    • Like x 1
  2. VariableFire Loyal Player

Eh, I'm not sure how you couldn't see a difference between the PS4 and PS3 in playing the game unless you upgraded the stock HD of the PS3 to an SSD. Right around the beginning of Tier 6 load times for everything on the PS3 were causing issues with gameplay. I remember having to abandon League Hall Security Breach (4man) several times due to loading errors. There were tons of bald people walking around the Watchtower because the PS3 saved time by not downloading people's toons completely. Heck, the running across the bridge cutscene from Trigon's Prison didn't render completely. I wasn't aware it was supposed to be showing the team running across the bridge until I upgraded to PS4 and it loaded fully as on the PS3 it just showed an empty bridge.
    • Like x 3
  3. Dragon Power Well-Known Player

Go t

What you're asking for/hoping for isn't currently possible; you should have looked into it more. Go to the DCUO summary screen in the PS5 Game menus (Games > DCUO > go down to the ellipses menu > View Product). See the small PS4 logo right above the big DCUO title? That means the game is a PS4 client game running off PS5's backwards compatibility. You'll only get a general improvement if the game's original code allows it, such as framerate increase if the framerate isn't locked for example. And I don't think there would be any significant increase in load times unless the game allows that because the PS5's SSD is not a generic drive, it's highly customized and I imagine it would require some custom code to fully take advantage of this new tech. Although it did feel slightly faster to me when I first loaded up the game and logged in, but that could have been just a placebo. Anything above this that you were hoping for such as significant bumps in framerate, higher graphics and load times will require at minimum for the PS4 game to be patched, and ideally, a native PS5 client to be made to get the full benefits out of the PS5's new tech.
    • Like x 1
  4. Solarbound Committed Player

This post makes me smile:)
  5. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I will admit that the character and level loading was increased drastically from PS3 to PS4.
    • Like x 1
  6. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Im surprised this new console generation thing is such a hard concept for people. It is like people expected a completely new game to magically load up lol. And when they find out this isn't the case they act like it is the biggest problem ever and the game shouldn't even be allowed on the next gen. Also, now you have people actually trying to shame others for playing DCUO on a PS5 lol.
    • Like x 10
  7. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Duh. We've been saying this since the PS5 was announced to be backwards compatible.
    • Like x 2
  8. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Agreed. By the time the PS4 launched DCUO was becoming very problematic to play on the PS3.
    • Like x 2
  9. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I remember flying outside the map in the Hall of Doom because you went faster than the map could load. There definitely was a very noticable difference from PS3 to PS4. Obviously you won't get that same difference going from 4 to 5 because the PS4 was already more than enough to handle the game with it's 8 gigs of RAM (as opposed to the *gags* 256 MB on the PS3).

I mean...even on PC the spec requirements for this game are pretty minimal. If there was a version of the game with faster loading times, they would have already seen it long ago. This IS the game. Just need to accept it won't change much and move on.
    • Like x 3
  10. Jcal Dedicated Player

On the topic of PS3 to PS4, I guess people forget that DCUO ran at 30fps on the PS3. Going up to 60fps on the PS4, that was a very big jump. You can go into DCUO's settings and actually turn off 60fps. That way you can momentarily revisit how god awful the game used to be, and we played it that way without blinking an eye lol. Seriously, just try it; spin the camera and run around. So sluggish. So when certain people say "it's still the same game," umm, no it's not. There were improvements to many technical aspects of the game.

As for the PS5, any improvements to DCUO are going to be via sheer brute force. The PS5/Series X are the best consoles Sony and Microsoft have ever engineered. Most games will see improvements even if it's just to little things. I would think that if you still play DCUO on the daily, and if the game still takes up much of your gaming time, you'd certainly notice and appreciate any and all improvements.
    • Like x 2
  11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I believe they made a whole new client for the PS4, whereas the PS5 is just emulating the PS4 client. I imagine the PS5 might struggle a little less with rendering the sfx clusterduck of a heavily populated phase pounding on the new bounties but nothing drastic. I’m not in a hurry to upgrade.
    • Like x 1
  12. SkullGang Devoted Player

I think its a server issue and not a storage one. FXIV loads fast on PS5 and they are still using the PS4 client. Optimisation on Daybreaks end need to be done because with most games the SSD makes a difference right away.
    • Like x 1
  13. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

It's not up to daybreak to upgrade the game. Its up to the developers and now is the time more than ever by a very long shot you can say ps4 is holding the game back big time. A game like dcuo needs to be relaunched for next gen. It has been so hard for the development of this game for.some time now. They are 100% thinking so hard about relaunched this with unreal 5 there is no question about it. If you dont think thats so it would answer a lot of questions as to why no PVP why no new powers reskins of everything. Why powers havent been revamp why weapons are still.messed up why everything can't seem to work well when a revamp happens. Its all because of the engine the game runs on. Its not easy working with dcuo with the current engine it takes far too much time to try something new or add new powers weapons content you name it.. without a ton of bugs for your hard work
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Most people are probably buying the PS5 to play more modern games.
    • Like x 1
  15. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

This^
  16. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

No disrespect to you but what do you think "Dev kits" are for? Sony and Microsoft have most likely provided the PS5 and Xbox series X Dev kits to Daybreak.

They are called Dev kits because "Devs" use them to know the hardware they will be using for their future projects or games. For the amount of time they had the Dev kits (six or more months), I would have thought that they would have at least made a PS5/Xbox series X version by now that takes advantage of the speed both consoles can perform. I didn't say it had to be a completely different game either. Other games that I play have already benefited tremendously from the new consoles hardware.

It's not my intention to point fingers but I thought that the point of them receiving the kits was in hopes of preparing for the new consoles launching.

Do you understand my point of view?
  17. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

By the logic here, My lil rig with 32 GB RAM, SSD's, Nvidia RTX3080 and liquid cooled Overclocked CPU should be able to have the game look like a DCUO version from 2130 where I can actually smell Doomsday as he jumps around Metropolis on my screen.
    • Like x 6
  18. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I was mostly talking about loading speed with the SSD but whatever helps.
  19. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Exactly. I am using my PS5 for new games and content. I have no plans to retire my PS4 or move DCUO over to the newer platform. Also keeping my PS4 going because the VR headset supports 3d Movies and (so far the VR headset on the PS5 does not).
  20. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

There' slight improvement to navigating the UI and I imagine the Framerate is not constant 60 fp since it was unlocked at ps4 release. It does load faster than an HDD in a ps4 but it's not as fast as a game that would be optimized for the ps5/series X. The HDR has affected colors for me though. Once more next gen consoles are sold and more people move over, I think they will do some tweaks but Abandoning the Ps4/XB1 like they did the ps3 isn't likely since the hardware isn't holding the game back, the source code is.