Devs about the brute body type its wrong

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DrakeBall, May 23, 2020.

1. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

Im not backing down yet there's still hope, PS5 is the way there's no way there moving to S5 without something new this could be the start of a new DCUO.
  2. SekretVillain Loyal Player

People said that about dcuo when it move from ps3 to ps4, nothing changed except how grindy and how micro-transaction-y the game got. I'm betting it will happen again with ps5 launch too.
  3. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Go back and re-read all the reasons why this won't happen. There's even a post from me on the previous page, pointing out how a new console won't make the years of work needed to implement this magically disappear. It's cost vs anticipated sales.

In previous posts in this thread, I gave the number 26 years for updating one style a day. If a single person could update 2 styles a day, they would need to hire 13 people to update all styles within a year. If those people only made the recommended minimum wage of $15/hr (and let's be honest, they would likely make more), that would be $405,600 in salary, plus overhead and benefits. Just to cover the salaries, you would need to sell 81,120 MORE respec tokens than are currently sold.

Now I personally don't know many people that have used body respec tokens (really just a league mate's kid making their character taller when they got older), so I'd imagine not many people currently change body types, at least not often. Even if a new body type was introduced, many people would stick with what they have. In all likelihood, there would only be a small uptick in respec sales, as a few people beyond those that often change body styles would want to switch to the new one.

This same cost vs anticipated sales method was recently started by Mepps as reasoning why no new power sets are planned at this time. Whenever they released a new power set, there would be a small uptick in respec sales, but it quickly went back to normal. So the additional revenue from creating the power set didn't come close to the cost of creating it. The same would likely be the case for body types. There are also additional costs with maintaining new power sets (another set of things to keep track of for balance issues) and for creating new body types (additional models are needed for every new piece of gear).

Now, whatever the unannounced project at Dimensional Ink is, they would likely try to learn from issues/requests they've encountered in the 10 years dcuo has been live. So that game could have body sliders, or at least allow dynamic gear scaling to allow for additional body types later in the game without needing to have as much additional work. At least, assuming it will allow for character customization.
  4. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

Well than lets see how a PS2 looking game like this last on PS5 without updating anything,
  5. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Who said nothing would be updated??? That's right, no one. There are several other aspects to this game besides body sizes and types. We periodically get improvements to different aspects of the game. They recently announced an increase to base item limits, which should go live with the new episode on Thursday. At the beginning of October we got another (long overdue) update to style unlocking. Not to mention the content updates (like the new episode coming out Thursday).

Just because one thing that you really really want (which has been confirmed there is too much work to do for little return on the effort) is not likely to happen in this game ever, doesn't mean that all updates to everything else in the game have suddenly stopped/
  6. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I've seen you spout this a couple of times now. I think you might need to boot up your old PS2 (if you still have it) and see just what the games look like. I assure you, they will not look anything like the rose tinted glasses you're wearing would have you believe.
    • Like x 2
  7. Toshknight Loyal Player

Who are you? what about the ps5 conversion? any news of a graphics overhall? and i am not going anywhere, i've been here since 2012, and spytle was nice.
  8. Toshknight Loyal Player

HI JAFIN, i have not seen you forever, good to see you,
  9. Toshknight Loyal Player

I understand, things are brought up several times. but when it's a MMO, and it is a Property like DC Comics characters are involved, things are going to change for the bad or better, depending on how the game is received. This is one of the only MMOs that started on PS3, and PC , not only was a success on those platforms, went to xbox, switch, and along the way Lived to be converted to ps4 and now ps5.
    Things are always either getting added that were never thought to be in game, and the games age, there are a ton of questions, that big fans of these DC characters, and the Game are going to ask, and things that are gonna be wanted added to the game, there is nothing wrong with talking about a subject that was talked about before, With the ps5 conversion, or what ever they are doing, who knows what is changing,
    im def not saying they are doing body styles. im just saying never say never, people said we would never get a green lantern color green aura, but we did, and eventually the emblems, suits, and even more, along with more iconic stuff, same with batman, flash, all this stuff was said to NEVER BE COMING, cause at the time, it wasn't, but MMO's are different then regular games, cause they can change, the game 100% if they want depending on what is going on. that's all never say "it will never happen" if you do, you don't know , even if someone says it may happen, they don't know, no one knows, even the developers at certain points in development. but everyone is entitled to think what they want. i've been in SOEs forums since 2003 aka daybreak games now, and it's the same at it's core, there are people that play the game, and there are people that log into the game, but play the forums more.
    i play the game more, and come on the forums 1once or twice a month maybe, but i hope everyone has a good holiday , CHEERS
  10. Tokens210 Well-Known Player

not saying that i dont somewhat agree, most of what was said isnt actually accurate, this game launched and failed on PC and PS, it was a subscription only game that didnt last 2 years before going totally free cause it was doing so poorly

the game wasnt allowed to even attempt to go to other platforms as Sony owned it and said no, only after Sony sold SoE outright did the game jump platforms

most other examples listed are actually areas where devs wanted to do something and DC ppl said no, like green aura, hard light powers or anything related to properties that DC might have planned to use anytime soon (superman,batman flash, wonder etc etc)

they also said there doing nothing for ps5 except crossing their fingers that its backwards compatible, cause if not no dc on ps5

theyve also said they cannot just change anything as how old the system in place is prevents it and causes alot of issues, basically the only way that be possible is if someone wrote them a massive check with no obligation for them to pay it back
  11. Megzilla Developer

There is an incredibly huge difference between licensing (emblems, Green Lantern stuff, etc), and actual logistics of labor to add a new body type. It's not a DC permission thing, it's making another set of variants for 10+ years worth of gear items.
    • Like x 2
  12. zNot Loyal Player

What does that mean exactly? So you if you want you could do it right? And since i played dc i was always wondering why we couldnt have larger/taller body types i think this will make DCUO much better.
    We already can play as Clownsanity as Trinket why not have it as body type?
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Hmm, would there be any chance of having different ones if the players are okay with the disabling of older styles? Like going forward, only new styles affect it? Save maybe a few character creator styles.

Or is the logistics of this still outside of the scope?

Also, I have to agree, there are a ton of styles over the last 10 years. That would take too much resources to accomplish.
  14. BumblingB I got better.

The simple answer is yes, they can.

The long answer is, they have to manually adjust EVERY style in the game for both Male and Female body types that are new. Key word, "EVERY". That would take a far greater amount of time and resources to do and probably would require hiring more art department developers as well.
    • Like x 2
  15. Megzilla Developer

Our style items are custom built to each body type. Whenever we make a style, it is custom built to each of our 6 body types. Adding one more body type means 2 more variants (one female, one male). That is not a DC decision, that is a "it is not a wise use of our artists' time to go back and recreate 10+ years of work for a body variant". A trinket is a mesh swap out, its not a body change with customizable styles.
    • Like x 6
  16. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

To add to this since so many players seem ignorant of what this all amounts to...

IT WOULD COST DAYBREAK GAMES A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF MONEY TO DO WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR! WAAAAAY TOO MUCH MONEY FOR IT TO BE WORTHWHILE TO PUT FORTH THE EFFORT!!!

Would you, the players, spend, oh, let's say, $100.00 US/equivalent in your local currency to purchase a DLC that would give you that Extra Large Brute and Female Equivalent Body Type? How about $150.00? $175.00? $200.00? :confused:

Y'all whined and moaned when the Dark Knight Cowl Pack hit the Marketplace at its original price of $20.00! Sure, it's NOW only $2.00 US, but it was originally 10 times as much! So, some of us waited for either a sale, or a time when we actually NEEDED IT for a character's costume, and bought it then. I suspect a good percentage of players waited until it dropped to the current $2.00 price before grabbing it, whilst a few still complain that even that is too much, because they live in a very poor country and have no job!

So, the reality is that IF they did it, the Developers HAVE to recoup the development cost associated with that. And the Player Base has shown time and time and time again that not enough players would BUY IT for them to be able to recoup that cost. And on top of that, they'd have to deal with the constant complaints about "Why isn't this included in my Membership?" and "Why don't Free Players get this?" So, it's totally NOT WORTH IT TO DAYBREAK GAMES!

Y'all are super lucky that the Devs are far more patient than I am. If I was one of the Devs, I'd be shutting every one of these topics down as soon as it was posted, 'cuz all y'all are doing is beating the dead horse into chunky salsa! :rolleyes:
  17. Megzilla Developer

I don't think so; doing our regular 6 variants already takes a lot of time (antiquated gear system yay). I don't think the disabling of older styles would be a great solution - think of the leveling and gear experience. Do we just make like 1-2 costumes that the player would have to wear their entire leveling experience until they got caught up to current content?
    • Like x 3
  18. inferno Loyal Player

This is just a rough estimate, as I just used dcuo wiki to count the styles listed there.

Let's say there are at least 290 styles currently in Dcuo; multiply that by the 8 pieces of gear then multiply that number by 2 (being the male and female versions) and you'll get 4,640 pieces that need to be adjusted to fit the new body styles being asked. And we're not just talking about an enlargement of every piece, assuming that a brute body will have deformations in its physique; we're talking about warping the dimensions of each piece, so that they fit perfectly as the new body moves.

I know my count is not accurate but I personally think its more pieces than I calculated. Is it possible to do? Of course, it is; that's not a realistic question. Will it ever happen? No. For that much work, for that much investment, to get 1 extra male/female body; it's really not worth it.

The only way, even financially feasible to do this, is to introduce the new body type but it will not be able to use ANY of the styles introduced before it. It will only have access to styles created after its introduction.

It is just not going to happen.
  19. DrakeBall Well-Known Player

you don't understand how much better this make the game fun for people would buy it we been begging for body types for years PS5 is out and you guys haven't updated and added anything why would a new gen player look at this and be like wow i want to download this game even the graphics are outdated at least we could get a body type.....and maybe some new personality's to go with it.
  20. BumblingB I got better.

Good point. I guess in that regard, it would have to be something only allowing for high end players. I can see this being a problem. Understood, thank you for your reply.