Dev Discussion Episode 39: Long Live the Legion (Open World)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by JackFrost, Nov 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFrost Developer

Hello again! We're really excited about the new episode we've been working hard on: "Long Live the Legion!"

We spent a good amount of time assessing player response to the Episode 38: "Wonderverse" Open World (as well as playing alongside some of you), and tried to build off what we learned and tried to improve on some of the ideas first presented there.

Similar to last episode, we've built World Bosses in our new Open World zone: "31st Century: New Earth" that spawn on a schedule. There are 4 new World Boss fights, and the first three currently overlap slightly. The final of those does not require that the previous fights are won in order for it to spawn. There are back-end changes to how contribution is tracked and granted for World Boss fights so players should be able to play in their roles if they'd like to, and not be forced to play in DPS role in order to get contribution. We've also added a new UI element to help players better track when they'll be eligible for rewards from the World Boss fights.

In addition to the World Boss fights we've made, there are new daily and weekly missions.

Please feel free to post feedback on anything you find in the "31st Century: New Earth" Open World zone in this thread.

Thanks once again to all of the folks who've been playing DCUO, and especially those who gave constructive feedback after testing or playing, particularly on the Test server. We appreciate your input, and hope that you have fun with all of the new content!
    • Like x 1
  2. Sir Freeze Active Player

The lag in the open world is again an issue i cant even do the bounties and not been able to see the fights
  3. Eve YouTuber

No lag on EUPC. Me and my league mates are having lots of fun with the new content. None of them complained on Lag.
  4. Vulpar Well-Known Player

During the boss fights, the screen would flash blue as though it was about to crash then went back to normal. This happened more often the more I continued spamming. USPS4
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I noticed power healing was added to contributions for the bosses but not debuffing. Was this intended, an oversight either in game or in update notes) or something you guys couldn’t quite work in to the programming? Between shifts in metas and the standard open-world power regen, debuffing actually helps a lot more than power healing these days.
  6. darth_paul Dedicated Player

It’s boring. I was really looking forward to it, as I strongly dislike Wonderverse. But, at least that DLC had a larger area to explore and battle in. This one is back to a beautiful environment, but only 4 blocks in an enclosed square that you can do anything in. And one of the missions is going around fixing signs and antennas. That’s going to get old fast.
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Since Validus needs to walk back to center if he gets too far away (after a charge as an example), if there are too many players on the ground, his AI shuts down and he stops attacking altogether.
    • Like x 1
  8. Tokens210 Well-Known Player

its only happened a few times so far, but then again ive only found like 2 or 3 phases hunting bosses so far but i been getting a strange rubberband type lag that i havent been getting anywhere else but 31st century

during the fights my character and any backup or pets out all freeze, i cant use powers, i cant attack, im not encased or rooted or stunned or anything like that, and the games not frozen cause i can still see everyone else moving around, then it snaps back and im either down or i use every single power i tried using while it was stuck at once, and the number of players around didnt seem to matter, first time it happened was only like 12 players, other time was like 20 something maybe 30ish tops

in wonderverse the only thing that would ever happen to me was my chat box and the groups names and health and power bars would all go away but i wouldnt freeze or rubberband around
  9. JackFrost Developer

Thanks for the feedback! We'll investigate this possibility and see if it's something technically feasible. In the meantime, when playing the World Events as a Controller (even one focusing more on a debuffing meta rather than a power-healing meta), can you speak to your experience with regards to achieving the best rewards or not in the different fights? Thanks again!
  10. JackFrost Developer

Thanks! I saw a video that seemed to show something like this last evening, and your theory was my initial thought as well. I made a change internally that I hope will make it out to the Live servers soon (but possibly not until Monday), which makes some changes to his behaviors that I hope will solve the issue where he stops attacking. I believe the root cause was particular 'jump' attacks rather than his leashing behaviors. Once the change gets to the Live servers, please let me know if you continue seeing anything similar, where Validus stops attacking inexplicably. Again, thanks for the report!
    • Like x 1
  11. Stranger Well-Known Player

He just was close to edge. Then he teleported back to middle and reseted. I guess thats a problem too :(
  12. BumblingB I got better.

I don't remember what attack that brought him away from the center, but I do see that he starts to walk towards it again, but will shut down with the players surrounding it. I took screen shots of him shutting down, but I did not take footage of it. (I typically don't record my gameplay.)
  13. BumblingB I got better.

I trolled a few times in the previous DLC. Defense and Attack debuffs were the most beneficial due to how fast the boss went down and how much damage they did. IE more people alive means more damage and faster completion.

Power Healing I still don't understand why this was considered the staple of a controller. It's always been a tacked on mechanic but seems to always be in the developers minds as primary. A controller has an array of powers that crowd control, always 2 powers for each debuff based on preferred gameplay, but has 2 powers to give power. Instapower and a supercharge, since PoT is not subject to a single power anymore. This shows that as a controller, the hate generation should be in it's main abilities, not something that requires you to have on your hotbar.
    • Like x 1
  14. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my post. I only did a handful yesterday while my league was putting together a CoUe run and was mostly focused on that but will be sure to pay more attention specifically to those aspects and give any relevant feedback. That being said, in Wonderverse I tended not to group up as more often than not I would only get a few bosses in before something in our league or on LFG came up...also for a little extra survivability challenge. For that reason, I was more likely to run a battletroll loadout that debuffed the bosses but only clipped in my power heal as often as I needed to to keep the precision buff up.
  15. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never pay attention to storylines but these 1990 phonebooths in the open world seem so out of place that it breaks the whole "futuristic immersion". :D
  16. BumblingB I got better.

I've been trying to do the bounties on the switch and we are capable of doing the individual ones though I still think Saturn is overturned, but the Validus... He's got way too much health for the mechanics and time to do it. Seriously we had a packed phase and failed 3 times in a row. This should not be and i knew this was going to happen. Switch is just not the same as PC/PS.

Please relook at his battle.
    • Like x 1
  17. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would enjoy these bounties if i had a PC or Ps5. But with Ps4 its just boring. Looking for a big phase, joining the fight and stop at max contribution since nobody want to play with 20 Fps and constant Hud deformations. I'll pick those up when i get my hands on a Ps5 i guess.

It doesn't have those issues, or does it? o_O
  18. MiLady Well-Known Player

I noticed that some of the mobs in the open world are immune to CC. (i.e. elemental weapon), but the shadows can be CC'd. In the past DLC's all of the mob enemies in open world can be CC'd immediately, knocked down, or stunned. But some of these mobs ignore the effect and just attack. Is this change suppose to happen?

Thanks for adding the other ways support roles contribute to the overall bounty rating. The visual meter is nice and gives almost immediate feedback on your performance. Sometimes the meter jumps to 50%, 75%, or 100%. I guess it doesn't dynamically update but in intervals.

There was a case when I was a healer and my team followed the mechanics and blocked. They didnt need a lot of healing. When the battle was over, I did not get full rewards because of this. Can you take a look at other things that the healer can do to contribute (apply shields)? If I miss an orbital on the boss, I may lose out of the full rewards.

The mission for fixing the signs seems to favor toons with flight mode. Acrobat and Super speed toons have a disadvantage with this mission. Most of the signs are on the buildings. Although I can see the white dots on the mini-map, its a pain to run up the side of the building to get the sign. Since the Legion Flight Ring is a rare drop in the Alert, I'll just have to use the Joker flight pack (drops in Vault) instead.
  19. BumblingB I got better.

Everything favors flight in this game. lol But I've not had any issues with it as acro, but definitely do with the super speed one. Just going up a building means you can hit something and suddenly you are going back down. lol
  20. Mystere Well-Known Player

Can you move the open world teleported near the dorms (Saturn Girl area) down to ground level. It is a pain for super speed
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.