LFG Menu. Question for devs.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Saint Nutella, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Hello everyone.

@ Devs have you considered making an LFG menu as opposed to/or in addition to an LFG chat?

It seems like the primary reason why you won't make LFG default is because of the fact that it could end up flooding the chat, potentially frustrating new players. However, many players don't seem to know how to turn it on and it makes finding a group a pain, especially for anything not as recent as the last 3 episodes (let alone the first episodes).

An LFG menu seems like it would circumvent those issues. Similar to the menu we use to queue for missions, I think that there should be a menu with similar format for trying to recruit groups.

For example, the menu would be split between PvE, and PvP.
    Under the PvE menu we would see:

Instances
    T1-Present

Open World
    T1 (including Metropolis and Gotham) - present

Legends PvE

Roleplaying

Under the PvP menu we would see:

Arenas 2v2, 4v4, 8v8

Legends PvP 2v2, 4v4, 8v8

That was a rough outline but hopefully what I'm trying to say is clear. Under each tab players can describe what they're looking for/outline certain objectives. This would allow easy access for new players, more options for all players, and an opportunity for players to be more detailed in what they're trying to accomplish without flooding the LFG chat. Players can then whisper the players who posted in the LFG chat for an invite or more info etc.
    • Like x 2
  2. BumblingB I got better.

I'm for more options, but I can't imagine this is something they can implement easy without a UI revamp. The current UI limits new additions by a lot and the revamped UI development went bye bye.

I play on PC and switch. PC is very easy to get a group going with a keyboard and copy and paste, while switch is very clunky and there is a weird text chat lag thing that happens when you are typing. Also, LFG is not really used, only premade channels.
    • Like x 1
  3. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Simpler, cheaper, and faster fix Would just be a pop up tutorial the moment u have access to T1. It would take u to settings (which everyone playing should have done anyway). It wouod show u the chat options (which again should have been discovered already) It would teach u how to pick your tabs or whatever (must i say it lol).
    To me, this is a player issue not a UI issue. If players cant even be bothered enough to check out settings then whatever......
    now, could the system we have be more user friendly? Sure it could.
    should there be a tutorial? Absolutely
    Should players take it upon themselves to open the dang menu an figure things out for themselves? Well duh, its your game an part of it is setting the darn settings......
    When i made my 1st toon ever, before the 1st square or triangle tap i opened the menu an started screwing with setting an spent a fair bit of time doing it to. That way i could get it how i wanted an knew what to do.
    I mean, the game has the options there.
    You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink as they say
  4. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't see why they can't just add a 'LFG' additional tab. Don't drop it in default...no...that was how it used to be and as someone who was a new player at that time I know it can be confusing, but have it as another separate tab. 90% of the brand new players won't even know it's there, but when someone refers to it explaining how to use LFG, it's a lot easier to say 'select the LFG tab' than try and explain how to add one. Some may even stumble on it and figure out it's use on their own...impossible right now as it doesn't exist.

Personally I'd have the default with shout/group/league/tell, then a separate tab for LFG and one for Trade. For pete's sake they have the combat tab, which until you are parsing your numbers, is pretty much useless and whizzes by so fast no newbie will get anything out of it anyway. Why not an LFG one?
    • Like x 2
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We want to improve matchmaking/lfg UIs, and defaults changes for new folks is possible. I'm curious if we have a consensus on how you prefer your chat tabs set up.
    • Like x 4
  6. BumblingB I got better.

I feel for messaging, having a new permanent tab would be good at least in the meantime. So Default, Combat, Loot, LFG. I know some other games have this set like that. They also have trade chat in it's own tab too.
    • Like x 2
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Assuming no actual 'changes' in how they work, just having the few tabs that are 'optional' but non existent now added by default (not TO the default) would be a pretty good start. A tab for LFG and another for Trade for example. Maybe making LFG have all the same shout/group/league chat as default, just the addition of having LFG as well.

Obviously if you are talking about actually changing matchmaking/LFG like allowing cross-faction chat or matchmaking...that's a bigger concept. I'm just referring to working within the confines of what we have today. If those things were added/changed i'd say at a minimum an option in settings to 'limit' chat to same side only would be a helpful option. Kind of a 'Task Force X' on/off in chat settings...same as the other existing setting. That or in the chat settings have 'villain LFG' and 'Hero LFG' as separate entries...so we could put colors on them so we know who is who. Same for trade and things...just saying it would be helpful to have one or the other option.
    • Like x 1
  8. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Others have suggested setting another chat tab to "Looking For Group" I believe. Similar to how we have a combat and loot chat. That seems to be easy to see and access. I don't know anything about coding but maybe that's an easy-ish adjustment? I saw that you responded in the other thread about letting people enter instances without a mandatory minimum of people, and I think that would work really well with an easy-to-access LFG system.

I'm not sure how people feel about a menu vs a separate chat tab, but now that this has a green-name response we may see more opinions!

Thank you.
  9. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

I like this suggestion. I would be happy with a menu or this.

Do you think players would be upset at this? It would require people to switch back and forth.

Also my biggest concern with this, as opposed to a menu, is the potential flooding. With many players looking for a group at the same time, it might be overwhelming, especially if the activities people are doing are more diverse now since new players would have easier access.
  10. BumblingB I got better.

Have LFG in a separate tab is good, you don't need it on all the time, unless you want to. Just disable by default LFG in default and have it active in it's own permanent tab. It's like the Loot and Combat tab works. They are off by default, but you can turn them on any tab.
    • Like x 1
  11. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Good point and I agree. The potential flooding of the chat still seems like it could be a little overwhelming, though. Especially since some players already use LFG for different things, like promoting leagues or just saying some irrelevant.
  12. Dwein76 New Player

Buenas tardes, coincido contigo. Yo uso mucho el LFG ya que juego solo y gracias a ello he participado en raids y eventos. Y he notado que , como bien comentas, agregan para promocionar ligas, o tomarlo como un chat interno de alianza. Tenemos libertad de expresión, pero el fin del mismo es alterado o utilizado de otro modo ocasionando inconvenientes y lluvias de textos que no tienen que ver.
  13. BumblingB I got better.

That's why by default, disable LFG in the default tab. If it has its own tab, players can be aware of it there but choose to not have it active.
  14. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Well, I like how I have it set up in my videos.

Default, Combat, Loot (which I don't use, so I changed it into something else), LFG, and Trade.
    • Like x 1