Hybrid choice...is this even a viable option?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Imaginos, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Imaginos Dedicated Player

I have some old characters i've not really played since the revamp and a few I chose hybrid because I wanted to do weapons and powers but every guide i see is almost all superpowers and not hybrid or weapons, though a few do have some weapons style builds.

Is this option just the red-headed stepchild and totally ineffective and should be dropped like a hot rock? If so should I just switch the 2 or 3 over to Superpower instead? Ice, Light and...crap can't remember..gadgets I think, though I suck at gadgets and they're a theme character. Would weapons work for a gadgets build as the choice?

Thanks
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Hybrid Focus is mainly for support roles. You could use this focus for DPS however you will be a drain on the Controller and/or your damage out will be sub-optimal.

For DPS your choices for optimal play are Superpowered or Weapon Expert:

Superpowered is mainly play from the loadout tray, very little to no weapon usage (weapon taps, no combos). Your primary stat is Might/Power, secondary stat will almost always be Health. With some exceptions Precision would be the secondary stat.

Weapon Mastery is mainly weapon combos. Your loadout will consist of a weapon buff and efficient abilities that can damage over time while you focus on your weapon combos (pet, AoE or heavy DoT, Supercharge, etc). This is the closest option to a true 'hybrid' DPS style. Your primary stat will be Precision, your secondary stat will almost always be Might.
  3. Imaginos Dedicated Player

That helpos
    That helps. My play time is sporadic but I have no desire to be a drain on a group so I guess I'll have to change those hybrids, though i'll see what i can do with gadgets for concept. I knew the superpowered and weapon info you posted but it's a good refresher none the less. I didn't know about the dot focus for weapons expert though so I totally apprecaite that. It's a shame the devs didn't balance hybrid better.

Are there any good soloing builds or soloing in your non dps role build that work that are current? Oracle's database seems pretty out of date on a fair bit of stuff and the rest mostly seems focused on 8 man raids.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

When I'm in solo content I use a single target loadout and I swap my SC out for a shield.

AVTV has great Might focused loadouts: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...very-power-and-how-to-build-test-them.307346/

ObsidianChill has good guide videos for powersets, artifacts, etc: https://www.youtube.com/c/ObsidianChillDCUO
  5. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

For clarity here, you said you wished hybrid was balanced better. Hybrid is balanced fine, the way DCUO is using the term is not what u think or want it to mean is all.
    The Terminology should be superpowered, weapons, and support
    That way theres no confusion. They cant balance the “hybrid” slot Like u want as it would take away from the support role that it is to add in dps stuff.
    • Like x 1
  6. Imaginos Dedicated Player

7. Kestral Committed Player

No. It's not viable even for support as far as I've seen. Go Superpower or you will run out of power constantly for your rotations.
  8. Walvine Well-Known Player

Do not see why you do not just test stat redistribution your self.
    Store your full setup in your base armory then when you reset your skill points which cost like 500 gold from hall of doom or watchtower and if you do not like how it plays to your preference just activate your armory build to reset back to your original skill points and load out for free.
  9. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Its a terminology thing. The way they are meaning it is not what y’all want it to be. Y’all see hybrid and logically Think it would mean like a combo of say heal/dps and its not. Thats not what it means in this case. Hy rid as i understand it is what u pick if your running your support role. Wepaons is what u pick if your going prec based dps an superpowers is what u pick if u go might based dps.

Hybrid doesnt mean what y’all want it to mean or think it means. Dont overthink this
  10. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

I havent noticed this at all........ maybe some power choices r just “more hungry” than others. My electric healer has 0 power issues even when theres no troll.
    • Like x 1
  11. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Yes my mistake, re-reading last nite i misread an thought y’all were taking issue with hybrid focus suggesting it needs to simply be different.
    Also in re-reading while playing last nite the various focuses u can choose i think theres merit to either hy rid for support or superpowers for support.
    Hybrid will give u +5% of your respective primary stat (yay)
    Super power will give u +10% power and +25% power regen (IMO is prob way more beneficial)
    So to run support role, (like im a healer on my alt for example) im still spec’n into super power focus to get that power an power regen.
    Thats better than the 5% resto imo.
    • Like x 1
  12. Plowed In Loyal Player

I still think hybrid is more suited for the leveling up process (1 - 30) than an endgame min/max build.
  13. AD Leo Well-Known Player

Terminology isn't the issue it's the execution of how they did it. Simply make Hybrid 5% for both Might and Prec. At any rate, I know you can run a Hybrid build with Electric and be very viable. The caveat is it requires a decent amount of SP. What I did was max out Might) Power and place the rest into Prec. You'll also need Strategist Card and Grim. Obviously the work around involves a Loadout that you use your weapon buff and pfft. Takes some time but it CAN be viable.
  14. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

what are we defining as viable in a numeric output range?
    • Like x 1
  15. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

There's no one size fits all response. Honestly, whether or not a Prec, Might, or Hybrid build is viable is a combination of the Powerset itself, the playstyle you use, Artifacts, SP, Augment choices, et cetera. Essentially, the more you have to play with, the more noticable the differences become, but if you're dealing with an out of the box 255 with 100 ish SP, base Augments, and a couple level 80 Arts, there's not going to be a huge difference between the three.

Testing it Right Now under Those Specific Conditions?

There's not a huge difference in output between Weapon, Hybrid, OR Superpower Focus on my little puppy Nature character (in that 255 range mentioned above) - they're all averaging around 24-27K, with enough variance and fluctuation to prevent it from being nailed down further than that. That's just where she's at now, in a very much "raw material state", which is good because I have time to play with build aspects

Later - like, when you're dealing with completed Augments, a stable trio of 160-200 Arts, and 350-400 SP, those differences will become magnified enough to matter.

Both my Mental and my Electric character can do a sustained 95-100K DPS output on the Raid target set (8 man league hall target set, 30 second set, no Trinkets, Drops, or Supercharges - then it gets Messy) but they do it in completely different ways. It's not even apples and oranges by that point, it's like the difference between rocks and fruit.

Right now, relearn your characters mechanics, find a Loadout and combat approach you like, then test it with the different Focuses and build your character from there. That's gonna be the only solid advice on the matter that works.

Or find a dark bathroom and whisper ObsidianChill's name three times until his Youtube channel appears in the mirror. That will provide you with a lot of instant comparisons and a lot of very stable builds to act as a working platform for development.
  16. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Except picki
    Except picking hybrid in leu of weapon expert Or superpowers In that build is still not better.
    So also depends on your definition of “viable”.
    I dont understand the fixation on this tho....... your loadout is what it is, your sp placement is what it is, your artifacts are what they are and the choice of where to put that single SP is not on screen while your playin so who cares? Put it where u want an live with it. Just because you WANT the hybrid option to be something it was NOT designed to be should not inhi it your build. Its not what u want or think. Thats it. Its mainly geared toward support roles (and even then support roles have other options). Hybrid is just not a dps option.
    Can u do it? Sure.
    should you? Of course not, it doesnt support what u want it to

Besides, dps has 2 BIS options out of the 3. Support has 2 meh options. Dps does NOT need a 3rd option geared toward them. Whats left for support then?
    • Like x 1
  17. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

this is pretty much it, really. Hybrid as a Focus and Hybrid as a playstyle are two different things - basically "every playstyle that isn't ONLY weapon attacks or ONLY Superpowers" is already technically Hybrid from the playstyle standpoint. I'm not sure there's NOT an acceptable DPS playstyle using Hybrid focus - like I said,

but if AD's got it happening, I'm curious as to how it's doing.
  18. AD Leo Well-Known Player

If what you say is right why even make Hybrid an option? What support role needs might? That alone makes the whole "it's for support roles" logic moot. As for viable....I'm rarely outdamaged. So when I say it's viable it's viable but to give you better context I'm Electric and nobody I saw was parsing close to what I was except for DeitySupreme(contributor here) and running a quasi-hybrid I was parsing similar numbers not quite the same but close. If I had the time I probably get more out of it but it serves me well as is so...
  19. AD Leo Well-Known Player

My Electric at the time I could get 110k, pure Might 120's easy 30 sec parsers. It's not the same but it's viable. That's with 468 sp. But I stated you need sp, and the dual Artifacts, Trans/Strat/Grim or Solar at 160 for the Dots.
    • Like x 1
  20. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Its supposed to be for support roles because if u look at what bonus it gets u (aside from the might) its support based not dps based.
    Again, i think the terminology is crap. Also i think they did it to help support roles damage in solo content or something. Not everyone uses 173 armories an has 2 sets of gear w/2 sets of augs an 2 sets of arts just to clear content because it would take so long to do in healer role for example.
    Either way, bottom line is that for dps theres 2 clear choices. Pick which one u want but u cant pick “hybrid” then complain it sux (not sayin u personally). Pick one that doesnt suck. U cant xpe t the game to cater to your choice. Spec how u want an play w/in its constraints.
    Its literally the same as me picking superpowers then complaining my weapon doesnt do enough damage..... well yea, i chose for it to not do much damage. Thats not the games fault lol
    • Like x 1