How to make PVP profitable?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by BƖack, Oct 9, 2020.

1. BƖack Dedicated Player

How Daybreak can earn income out of PVP? Any ideas?
    • Like x 2
  2. Bantos2 Active Player

People have come up with many ideas in the past
    here are a few
    • Like x 2
  3. L T Devoted Player

Respectfully, I think that's really the wrong way to approach things. There is a large class of players that play video games primarily for PVP. Just make PVP fun, fair, and balanced, and all those players will come back, and most of those returning players will buy time capsules and booster boxes and collect styles and do all the other profit-driving activities that already exist in-game.

Just fix it, add a server ranking so people can glory in their wins and losses, and occasionally add a new PVP style to grind for and the money end will take care of itself.
    • Like x 8
  4. BƖack Dedicated Player

100% right
  5. Mazahs Loyal Player

Just let it die...seriously.
    PVP in this game has been the red headed stepchild for so long it's not even funny.

IF, and that a BIG IF. The devs could figure out how to make PVP NOT effect PVE (massively) then you may have a talking point.
    History over almost a decade clearly shows they are either unwilling or too incompetent to do this.

Ironically a good PVP side has proved on many games to be the cash cow
    • Like x 2
  6. Batman2099earthcold Committed Player

They should reduce the pvp 101 gears or give More valor marks i am stuck in pvp i only have the trousers from pvp101 set.200 for win and 100 for losing sound a bit desmotivated to do pvp
  7. Brit Loyal Player

What I have long recommended follows the pattern of the larger selling PvP games out there right now: skins.

Sell Legend Character skins. The exact same powers and abilities, so it doesn't require any new balancing. Strictly an alternative skin.

Then, because Legends does not see a huge amount of consumer demand, and because Marks of Legend are so plentiful that few people are probably paying cash to buy those characters, you bundle the Legends skin with one exclusive style piece that is only attainable by purchasing the Legends skin.

For example:

As an alternative skin for Legends Bizarro, they create Legends Bizarro #1 or Legends Bizarro Forever Evil. Then purchasing that skin includes the Bizarro Emblem that you can unlock for your characters.

Or an Earth-2 Superman Legends skin for Superman, and bundle it with the Superman Ombre hairstyle so you can tint the sides for that grey effect.

This appeals in numerous ways. PvP focused players have something to buy, and skins have proven to be very popular sale items in other PvP games. But also, non-PvP players can be enticed to buy for the purpose of getting those style pieces. Many players have repeatedly asked to see more style pieces in the Marketplace for direct purchase without RNG being attached. This can fulfill that desire by creating some simple iconic styles that players can buy with real money, and it comes along with a Legends Skin.

And eventually, if a player spends enough money and buys enough Legends skins, they might actually feel enticed to use them, so we could see a gradual increase in people playing PvP and Legends PvE.

That is how you monetize PvP.
    • Like x 3
  8. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

This question is in my opinion hilarious. Not because of what you’re asking, but because this is a real question. The simple answer to this is to make PVP enjoyable. When you do that, PVP players return, they’ll buy up all the stuff PVE players do and there’s additional revenue. It’s simple logic, yet game devs and the higher ups tend to lack that common sense. PVP terrible = less players = less people spending money.

Now me. I started off mainly PVE. Spent money on legendary, styles and replays regularly. At some point got bored of just PVE so I slowly got into PVP. Enjoyed it a ton. Started playing PVE less, but was still buying legendary and replays. PVP at time of stats revamp is worse than it was already when they neglected it, and I quit. PVP being a major reason as to why I quit. I understand that there aren’t any micro transactions tied to PVP but that shouldn’t matter. Fortnite for example has great gameplay. The only micro transactions tied to their game are skins that have no effect on gameplay yet they were bringing in millions of players daily. I can promise you that if Fortnite wasn’t a good game. Players wouldn’t even think about buying their skins. DC will never be on the level of a Fortnite, but they don’t need to. Their game had more active players when the game felt good in both phases. Even the hardcore PVP players had legendary and still spent a lot of money on the game. Just make the game good... That’s literally it.
    • Like x 2
  9. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

They tried to monetize it once upon a time, it was a massive fail lol.
    • Like x 2
  10. BƖack Dedicated Player

Pvp is dead since 2015[IMG]
  11. BƖack Dedicated Player

Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up! ;)
    • Like x 1
  12. FoolsFire Devoted Player

#10 - The Pity Smash (1:15)

• Like x 1
  13. Brit Loyal Player

I'm going to express the opposite side of that coin. I think that while on the surface this sounds like a really simple answer, in reality it's not accurate at all.

Look at literally ALL older PvE content. People aren't running it. That does not mean that every Episode before Wonderverse was somehow not fun. The answer why nobody runs those older raids and alerts is pretty simple: there isn't a good reason to.

MMOs are built on a reward system. It is the gear treadmill. When Legion Episode comes out, Wonderverse is going to become a ghost town and those World Bosses are going to stop being run. Nobody is doing things when there isn't a reward for them.

PvP has no rewards. It has been three years since we had the last suit of PvP gear released. Anyone remotely interested in PvP has had way more than enough time to finish their Deadshot suit. In fact, most of us finished our CR101 PvP gear AND then managed to get capped out on Marks, with nothing left to spend them on. Even if I positively loved PvP and it was the most fun part of the game for me, I wouldn't be running it in any significant amount, because there is zero rewards for PvP. The same way I don't go back and run my favorite old raids very often, because there are zero rewards.

"Make PvP fun" will not make people run it without rewards. It just won't. That's not how MMOs work.

"Make PvP profittable" is an entirely different question. Because even if it was super fun, and even if there were rewards, and even if everybody was playing nothing but 8 hours of PvP all day every day, that still doesn't make it profittable. Because PvP is free.

PvP cannot run with lootlocks and rely on Replay Badges, because once people are lootlock... zero rewards means they stop running it. They did start lootlocking PvP when the Checkmate set was released, and it immediately killed PvP. People won't queue when they don't get rewards. It just becomes entirely a waste of time.

So there has to be something else for PvP that gets players to spend money, but doesn't give the characters a statistical advantage in the matches for a Pay To Win element and doesn't stop the incoming rewards for playing in a way that would make people stop queuing.
    • Like x 3
  14. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

They could monetize it by selling the feats and styles for real world money. Then completely ignore its existence. Would make them the most money really.
    • Like x 1
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

If it were reasonable like the price to buy feats for an alt then i would begin buyin PVP feats immediately. I would go buy replays rite this second to start acquiring those feats.
    DCUO plz come take my $!!!!!!
  16. xxHELLSTROKExx Loyal Player

I don't know if I would or wouldn't but just saying that that would make pvp make them money. Completely doubt they would put any of those profits to use on pvp tho.
  17. 1UP☺ New Player

I just posted about selling PVP armor in the store while you were typing this lol
    • Like x 1
  18. BƖack Dedicated Player

Lol :D
  19. BumblingB I got better.

They tried monitizing it before and IMO, was the start of the downward spiral of PvP failures we resulted in today. Because as they were trying to undo that failure, they constantly had to change what was actually good before it. Yes there were issues and updates that contributed to it, but we've seen the problem start then.

They thought an entire DLC that included loot locks that you could replay was going to entice players to keep trying. It only pushed players away and the massive gear increase didn't help. It was a true pay to win.

At SOE LIVE they thought they could turn it into an eSport. That failed because there were glaring exploits that when they tried to fix them they added newer worse ones.

They tried to make arena more like legends, that... Don't get me started on why that was bad.

They introduced a ranking system that made it difficult to actually want to win, because the queues would not pop.

There are other ways that just didn't work and of course all the PvE changes also affected PvP and vice versa.

PvP has not been touched in 4+ years. It's broken. It's not fun. It's not making them money. It should be removed and let the focus go towards what is working.
    • Like x 2
  20. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

Fair point. But me honestly I played PVP for fun and because of comp lol. I’m not gonna say it’s the final solution, but it’s a step in the right direction lol