Information question on Megaserver Crossplay?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Sep 22, 2020.

1. BumblingB I got better.

I'm aware this gets asked a lot, but I'm curious to know of reasons why DCUO hasn't delved into this yet?

There are a significant number of games that have full crossplay support for all platforms. These games don't seem to be having issues supporting this and allows for more revenue to come in.

Now, I understand these bigger games are able to pay to do it, so is that the case? Is daybreak too small of a company to get the desired support license for a mega crossplay, like say Epic games with Fortnite?

Is it a licensing thing? Like did daybreak get locked into a "you can't" license that they can't get out of? I know when it launched on Xbox, at the time, crossplay between PS and XB1 was impossible, but again, we have a significant number now allowing for it.

As it is, a Megaserver Crossplay is still possible, because all the "can't trade across platforms" flags exist. Money still changes hands with the platforms and not from one source. What would be the hang up at this point?

I really would like to know, because the Switch servers are just bad. I was thankfully able to get my second bounty done yesterday, but it was very difficult with 6 people. (Which surprising we did, but the scaling at least helped.) I can't imagine what XB1's servers are like.

In any case, Mepps or Jackster, any insight into this? Explanations are really helpful for understanding. I know in the past it was said, "We would like to, but (X) company says no." Then things change and something got better, which is why we have PC/PS crossplay.
  2. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Xbox servers are much healthier than the switch. There's a decent amount of people on there. Both could benefit. But switch is at this point kind of a failure and needs cross play bad.
    • Like x 2
  3. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Pretty sure it falls on the console makers giving the ok, which not all are wanting to play with each other still.
  4. BumblingB I got better.

Hmm, then what are the other companies doing and is it possible that daybreak can do it too?
  5. Shazam Well-Known Player

At this point I wonder if its down to how popular the game is. Take FFXIV it is now getting cross play on PC, PS, and Xbox. We can argue that FFXIV is either #1 or #2 mmo. I think if WoW ever game to console it would get cross-play quickly. I wonder if they look at DCUO and go eh eh. Is there a worth to it?
    • Like x 1
  6. BumblingB I got better.

Those are big business companies behind them. So is it DCUO doesn't make enough revenue to pay for the crossplay licensing or is there a contract that prevents it from happening and they would have to buy out that contract to do it? At this point, I'm just bewildered why they can't now, considering the problem of companies not playing well is pretty much nonexistent as it was a few years ago.
  7. Shazam Well-Known Player

I don't think its a cross-play licensing or we wouldn't have pc/ps. I could be wrong, but I would point it towards the money. If we had the player base of FFXIV(15.00 dollars a month for every account), they'd have some cash. Also, FF Crystal Chronicles is cross play also, rocket league also. I wouldn't say sqaure-enix is huge company, but huge compared to daybreak.
  8. BumblingB I got better.

Square is totally a huge company, but that is OT...

This article from this month shows that there are a number of games that have crossplay. That number is really large compared to a few years ago.
    • Like x 1
  9. Shazam Well-Known Player

Hopefully a green team comments. At this point this game needs full cross-play, the queue times are horrible and the ghost towns in most areas is sad. I can remember playing when Fight for the light first lunched and when Lighting Strikes came out seeing central city packed and people doing the bounties.
    • Like x 3
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Money is probably involved. If there are contract obligations don't expect a public response divulging the specifics.
    • Like x 2
  11. Wildcat Committed Player

Imagine how big the population will be when all servers get connected/merged
    • Like x 1
  12. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Honestly, I doubt very much that DCUO is having problems with revenue. Of course I'm speculating, but there are no real indicators of this. I think the issue is really the lack of will to because of where the game is in its lifespan.
    • Like x 1
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Not much, to be honest. I bet the amount that would be absorbed into the PS population would be insignificant and impact very little.
  14. MrMigraine Devoted Player

In recent times, the developers have become awfully tight-lipped on the subject of future content. (I mean, we're just a few months away from our 10th Anniversary and there has been zero hype so far.)

So it's entirely possible that they're already knee-deep into the cross-server transition (or the PS5/XBX port) and we would never know.

For the record, Jack has mentioned on multiple occasions that it's something he'd like to pursue, and comments as recently as the past few weeks from devs have me believing that we're heading in that direction. I just don't think we're going to know anything until the lookout in the crow's nest shouts 'Land Ho!'
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Tight lipped is correct, but they do that whenever they give too much information and players take it out of context. I do wish they wouldn't go complete silence when that happens. A little player interaction would be much appreciated and help players not feel like they are dealing with deaf ears.
    • Like x 5
  16. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Agreed, wholeheartedly.
    • Like x 2
  17. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Idk maybe it's how much it makes vs how much it would cost to merge all platforms.

I just know what devs have said before on this subject and havent seen anything new. Other than 'we would like to but getting all to agree isnt happening yet'
  18. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Wont be any different if your on USPS/PC sadly as switch and xb1 have tiny population numbers that us USPS/PC folks would see a difference
    • Like x 1
  19. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Going off of mepps reply they dont make the needed money to keep pushing powers out, that tells me that they dont make enough to do powers unless they sacrifice a DLC or 3 for 3 new powers.
    • Like x 1
  20. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Not only that but I had to turn friendly icons off on map just to see vendors on mini map. Now that's not a issues, theres more vendor type icons then human player icons on the map usually