Name Reclaim Event...when?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Valrasa, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Fine...You want to leave paid (including a lifetime membership) out? I don't see an issue with that. I'd think that if you are laid up for over a year, or can't afford to fix your PC for a year (BTW, could log in on ANY PC...not like it needs to be cutting edge to play...just log in) I'd think you have better things to worry about than a game...but I guess if you are paying monthly or bought the lifetime... you get a pass. I'd think most accounts that have not been used in a year (or more) are not paying customers, but I could see the lifetime issue coming up.
  2. Berza Committed Player

Thing is, last time it was one year, not 4. So again, if for reasons, as broken PC/PS, military, abroad job, or (like in my personal case) continuous surgeries, etc. a player can not log into the game, their name is gone. Last September, another player made another thread about this, and I asked a question that was never answered. Do you think a player would come to the game, one and a half year later, without their name to be recognized by old friends and leaguemates, and stay? Spend 500 bucks to level their artifacts and buying TC feats? In a game this old?
    A name reclaim, and specifically a constant purge system, would disencourage returning players.
    • Like x 3
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Using the whole topic of imagination, a personal attack would be something along the lines of me being told I have all the imagination of a blank sheet of paper.

At best, bigbadronalt's comments were a generalization. Wallachia probably came closest to a personal attack, but it was still more along the lines of a generalization. Neither one of them singled out a particular person when making their comments.

And honestly, unless there are specific attacks on a person, saying some people don't have as much imagination as others is, at its core, an observation. It's not an indictment on their character or anything along those lines.
  4. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

I only really see a few ways this could be done
    A.) End of the year reclaim: Players inactive for more then 6 months get the names claimed at the end of the year
    B.) Account timers: Players inactive for 6 months (regardless of when inactivity starts) get claimed
    C.) New Rule: Devs make it so names can no longer be sold(idk how they would go about enforcing that though)
    D.) Level/CR auto delete: If a character is below level 10 for more then a month the name is claimed, 10 -29 players are given 3 months. Fresh level 30 to Cr 70 characters 6 months , 70 CR to whatever's max 1 year

Lets brainstorm ideas or build on others instead of needlessly creating a new thread to get closed
    • Like x 1
  5. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Maybe it's bc you're skim reading, but you're not quite following the conversation. Maybe sit this one out.

Yes, these are the exact same "BuT wHaT If i CaN't PlAy fOr SoMe ReASoN?!" arguments from years ago. They're no more valid now than they were before the last purge and they didn't change the Dev's minds back then either.

Someone's personal circumstances have nothing to do with the business or the rest of the players playing the game. The business' responsibility is to their paying and playing customers.

This is a business. It's a business that provides an entertainment service. You pay to play the game. You didn't permanently buy your character name/s. If you stop playing for any reasonable amount of time (determined exclusively by the Dev team) and you're not paying a sub, you have no entitlement to that name.

The Dev team has a responsibility to its *current* playing and paying customers to free up those names for their use and let those players have the best game experience possible -- and that means having a name they can enjoy and get attached to -- this is what actually encourages players to keep playing.

Any player concerned about losing their name in a purge would always have the option of re-subscribing, or logging into their account within the notification window, to keep their name. The business doesn't owe non-paying expired accounts anything else. it's that simple.

It would not and does not any more than any other random unimportant thing could.

You're prioritizing the happiness of people that left the game, aren't customers anymore, and don't pay the rent; over the people who are here now and keeping the lights on. It's incredibly bad business.

You're also ignoring the fact that this is a common practice in all MMOs (that don't use a more robust naming system than ours). There is nothing controversial about name purges at all.

The more people coming to the forums asking for this, the more the Devs are aware of the need. You can't stop them from coming and asking for action on the issue and arguing with all these people is toxic and isn't going to help. It's not going to convince the person they should be happy with the current state of things and it's not going to convince the Devs they shouldn't help their customers unhappy with the current state of things either. The bottom line is if the Devs feel it's needed, they will take action.
  6. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

The reclaimed names... put them in time capsules.
    • Like x 1
  7. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

This might be the most important post in this entire thread.

It outlines, very cleary, a key difference in attitude amoung dcuo players. Some, like me, care very deeply about names, and others, like this poster, do not. One way is not better than the other, its just different--
    Just like the different attitudes toward PVP.

Personally, I don't care one iota about PVP, but I know others do. And, while it seems doubtful PVPers will ever get the consideration they desire, I sure hope they do. I would NEVER hop on one of their threads and demand they just accept PVE because that's the way I prefer to play.

For one, if they ever got what they wanted, it wouldn't diminish my enjoyment in the slightest. Second, and most importantly, the more people active and enjoying the game, the more robust the player base, the better it is for all of us who enjoy the game and wish it a long life.

If you've ever played a dying MMORPG, you know how sucky it is. We should HOPE every player and every style of play is supported by the devs.
    • Like x 2
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Which says I dont care about names? I'm just pointing out that it's not impossible to create names, because I have and can do it.

Sure you're not getting iconic names because they're either not allowed to be used or someone is already using it.

I have a original name on my main always have the 6 or 7 times I've changed my mains name. Some of yall just dont wanna put any effort or thought into names outside of batman, superman ect ect ect.
  9. SekretVillain Loyal Player

It notifies ppl online that x person has switched names, or it use to
  10. Apollonia Dedicated Player

It never did. One day your name is X and the next day your name is Y and people have to just guess who you are.
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just to chime in, we understand some players would really like a name reclaim, and have that noted for future planning. We don't have it on the schedule right now, but I would expect it will happen like previously where an account would have had to have been out of the game for quite a while to have a name reclaimed.

On the argument going on here, I think it is fair to say there are still an infinite number of really cool names out there AND the really cool name someone might particularly want is still likely taken. It's both, and we probably don't need to judge each other based on what the status is of our current desired name.
    • Like x 16
  12. SekretVillain Loyal Player

See problem lies within players ability to be creative thanks mepps
  13. Apollonia Dedicated Player

[IMG]
  14. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Read it for yourself Karen, see I can be petty too
  15. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Karen, literally co-opting the [community] manager's reply -- lmao. Oh honey. ...You mean read this part you completely ignored with your reply?
    You already proved you could be over the past few pages, and with your previous reply. You really didn't need to lean into it more.
  16. Spider Jerusalem Well-Known Player

The important thing to note here is that it's written by a guy calling himself "Mepps" which I believe is the name given to him by the old EQUO random name generator for his gnome mage.
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

N...no....
    • Like x 11
  18. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

But what if we really wanted the name 'Mepps'? Aw shucks.

Like I said before....I can see where people want certain names, and those names are forever lost to some toon or account that hasn't been in since 2013 or so. And not sure that there are 'infinite' names....a lot for sure, but infinite would require an unlimited number of characters to use, which we don't have. Not sure what the number is, but there IS a number where names will run out. Maybe in 2030.
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I don't know why I thought responding in this thread was a good idea.

My name is a shortened version of what popped out for my halfling cleric, tyvm. I think it's an interesting artifact from where my head was at in 1999. I went with that because it was a throw away character that I then just ended up playing for over 10 years, largely hating myself for being a stupid halfling.

And all of that definitely seems relevant to a name reclaim discussion in DCUO in 2020...
    • Like x 13
  20. Apollonia Dedicated Player

I'm pretty sure no one will report you for derailing the conversation... but it is this forum so maybe I shouldn't put that out there.