Lifetime membership

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by lllViperlll, Sep 9, 2020.

1. lllViperlll New Player

question is why can i not buy this whenever i want?
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Because it was a limited time offer.
    • Like x 2
  3. Hraesvelg Always Right

• Like x 3
  4. lllViperlll New Player

do they do that sale once a year or was it just that once?
  5. SekretVillain Loyal Player

It was what $600 for lifetime? People would buy it but it wouldn't be instantly, not many can drop that kind of money loosely on a video game. I know I couldn't. But if it was a permanent MP item I'd buy it.
    • Like x 1
  6. Jafin 10000 Post Club

It was offered when the game first released in 2011 and then again for a limited time near the end of 2018. In 2018 it was initially limited to 6,000 total but the sale time and numbers was extended later for a little bit extra. It might come back in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not sure how much in dollars, but when it was first available when the game launched it was €179.99. When it returned near the end of 2018 it was $299.99. I can't remember how much I paid for it in Euro but it was probably around the €300 mark. The way I looked at it was that I pay about €100 a year for a 12 month sub anyway, so after three years it would essentially be free for the rest of the time the servers are active. Of course it's a gamble because the game could be shut down before that three years is up, but it doesn't look like that will happen.
  7. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Like I said they could add it for a permanent MP item but have it priced at like $400-600 and it would like you said, pay for itself eventually. With the replays and whatnot.

It would also give people something else to aim towards buying that would be worth the investment. The limited time deals only appeal to the wealthy people within the community not those who live pay check to pay check or that are doing slightly better.
    • Like x 1
  8. Hraesvelg Always Right

It was $199 at initial offering in 2011 and $299 in 2018.
    • Like x 2
  9. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Even so, if they add it as a permanent MP item I'd pay 400+ for it vs constantly paying 120+ a year.
  10. Berza Committed Player

I didn't buy it but a couple of friends did in 2018, I think it was 250€
    Also, note that Lifetime Membership was offered only to PC players, because the price exceded the max amount at PSN wallet.
    • Like x 1
  11. Doctor Nova Devoted Player

12. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

IIRC it was something like $200 or $250 American when the game first came out and that was after spending $60 just to buy the game itself. But now it belongs to Daybreak who's sole purpose in this word is to grab as much money as they can because they certainly aren't putting anything back into the game. I also wonder why we can't link accounts as I'd love to play for first ever main character who is in limbo on Playstation because I'm not spending $500-$600 on a PS4.
  13. Jafin 10000 Post Club

We can't link accounts because the platform holders essentially own the accounts, and they don't want to potentially lose revenue by having you buy micro transactions on another platform, such as if you had an account shared between PS and PC but you bought all your Marketplace stuff on PC, Sony wouldn't get a cut of the money. Sony owns the PS accounts, Microsoft owns the Xbox accounts and Nintendo own the Switch accounts. Daybreak only owns the PC accounts. This has been explained a couple of times in the past by devs. This *could* have been avoided if they had required a sign in separate to your PSN ID/Xbox/Switch equivalent, like what Square Enix does for Final Fantasy XIV, but it's far too late for that.
    • Like x 1
  14. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

What sucks is I first started playing on PS3 so I have some unique stuff on my main like the 1st anniversary cape and the No Man's Land emblem. Would love to see those again one last time.
  15. Star King Active Player

You know, it's funny. I can afford to pay for a yearly sub because of my budget, but I would have never been able to pay a one time fee that high, regardless of the benfits. It just wasn't feasable. The price was meant for the mid to upper class working people. But not someone on social assistance. If they did bring it up again, say for a year, on the Marketplace. Then I could afford chip in every month until I had enough Marketplace Currency to buy it as long as the benefits were worth it.
  16. Star King Active Player

True. But there are some mmo's out there that do link accounts to some degree. Example: Say you play a game from X company on a console, but not pc. You can still Register for an account on PC and they will allow you to link/register your console to show that you play the game on console and also the trophies you've made playing the console game. Which is one of the things that really matters to a gaming community.
  17. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Thank god all the other gaming companies are run as non-profit charities!

You might want to look into what "capitalism" is.

Companies are out ot make as much money as they can! WHO KNEW? IT'S SHOCKING!

I hear that supermarkets are the same way! It's OUTRAGEOUS!!!
    • Like x 2
  18. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

The same people who currently explain that the game is on the verge of death and will be out of business any day now claimed to all, when lifetime memberships were last available in 2018 for $300, that only crazy people would buy a Lifetime membership in 2018, because obviously the game would be shut down long before 2021.

It would have made sense to buy Lifetime back in the early 2000s, it was explained, but not so late in a game's life-cycle! Anyone who would do that was proclaimed to be SO STOOPID! They understood how games work, and suckers who bought lifetime memberships had no clue! They said.

I laughed all the way to the bank.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/is-this-game-under-risk-of-dying.300130/
    • Like x 2
  19. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

• Warning: The DCUO forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.
    you must be a joy at family gatherings.
    • Like x 1
  20. L T Devoted Player

I remember them well.

And me too!
    • Like x 2