"Rude League Names"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lara, Aug 29, 2020.

1. myandria Item Storage

Awww. you noticed! (in Harley Quinn's voice):D
    • Like x 1
  2. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

I have never heard of the name FourFourFour or knew it was a dog whistle or that is offensive to the Chinese; thanks for the heads up!
    Now I know, and:[IMG]

If I think a name offensive and the devs think it is not offensive, then I have done all that I could do. It is not a waste of time, as you seem to think it is. The devs have been made aware, and I will just move on, I like to keep it as simple as possible. Different people will handle that situation in different ways; there's nothing wrong with that. We are free to make choices, to pick and to choose our battles.

Now, there is always the possibility that others may feel the way I do about the offensive name and will report it as well, just as there is the chance that I will be the only one reporting it. But that is the way life works a lot of the time, isn't it?
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Not sure I ever said anything different. I voiced my differing opinion, not sure why it got you riled up if you believe that it is acceptable. Someone said because something is 'rude' it should not be allowed (yeah, it devolved into racisim and such...but started as 'rude'). I disagree because one man's 'rude' is another's 'humorous' ...or nothing... and that DI or the community as a whole (through reporting) can decide what's acceptable.

Same feelings on the respect. All good here, I (almost) never take any feelings from a discussion...however heated...past that discussion. It would be boring around here if every always agreed or always disagreed on every subject.
    • Like x 1
  4. Hraesvelg Always Right

For both of the toons or leagues that have tripped a GM rename, I've had a rename token in my inventory. Been over a year since the last one, though. One was due to the whole "non-alphanumeric character in league name" thing, but damn if I don't miss having 'Murica as a league name...
    • Like x 1
  5. PolishEagle Dedicated Player

Interesting. In 2011 my buddies league got changed and most of the toons in it had their names changed as well. It was an STD themed league. The name change actually happened during Kahndaq and it was funny as they all got I believe Rename and random numbers.
  6. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Since you dont even know what i believe or have faith in i will ask out of curiosity.....
    Why as a conservative christian should i be not playing this game? (“Especially this game” To quote you which means this game is exceptionally aginst my faith).
    Im all ears
  7. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I don't think anyone should be telling anyone else how to practice or not practice their beliefs, or how to identify their beliefs, whatever they might be (so long as they're not being misleading), but I do wonder how "Facts don't care about your feelings, thus neither do I" goes with being a good Christian. Didn't Jesus enjoin people to care a great deal about each other, including their feelings?
    • Like x 1
  8. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

lol

Your behavior says one thing, they way you self identify says something completely different.
  9. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Not Necessarily but valid point, its a phase used to simply say how you feel about something can warp whats rite an wrong although subjective. Its to say that 2+2 = 4 even if you “feel” like it should equal 7
    What someone “feels” is true is not as important as whats actually true. Thats all, just a phase with a meaning. Really has nothing to do with being charitable or empathetic or anything :)
  10. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

False but you entitled to your opinion
  11. Yass Queen Hyppolyta Dedicated Player

Nah.

There's literally nothing "christian" about your behavior whatsoever. You like the label, but you're fundamentally a bad person as we've seen here over and over. Jesus would not be that into "facts don't care about your feelings." In fact, Jesus was a person of color, a radical leftist and chose to pal around with outsiders and weirdos and preached peace and love for all.
    • Like x 1
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

there is nothing offensive about naming your league or character "covid-19" or "down syndrome". one is a global pandemic thats disrupted our lives in a major. the other is a disability that people suffer from.

"covid-19" might be a lapse in judgement as its a global pandemic that has disrupted the lives of everyone on the planet.

"down syndrome" is a disability that exists and if just seeing the name being presente is enough to make you want it to go away the problem may be on you and how you feel about people with diabilities.

If the league (or characters) were named "i hopecovidkillsyou" or "downwithdownsyndrome" I would get it.

its a very difficult subject to discuss openly on a forum that is heavily moderated where we all live in different parts of the word with different cultures, languages and customs.

over the years i've noticed some of my co workers referring to each other in their native language with words that would be considered offensive to an American. translating these adjectives would be "the skinny", "the fat", "the white", "the black", "the handsome", "the not so handsome", "the old" yet these guys can go on with their days and lives without blinking an eye over it because they understand the intent is not meant as an insult. If i were to go into work and refer to my co workers in this way Iwould be terminated. In my own language the f-word is the exact word as "marry". they sound exactly the same. If my grandmother wre to tell me today shes going to a wedding I most certainly know shes not going to a "f-ing". intent seems to be lost these days and its intent is whats dangerous.

I have a million stories that would seriously piss off a lot of people regarding what is and isnt offensive and the nasty things people do to each other. the one I'm going to close with is my healer "Rakastan". I made the word up as a 13 year old. Its basically a variation of the raksasha from indian lore as the character was intended to be a felinoid shapechanger (and yes Ive since learned that raksasha arent always feline but i was 13 and going on a picture from my old ADnD monster manual). Imagine all these years later when i resurrected the character to be a toon in game that I learned "rakastan" or more specifically "rakastan en sinua" means "i love you" in finnish. I love it. I always thought of the character as more of a lover than a fighter...however thanks to some players pointing it out "rakastan" also has some less than savory connotations. Hard to google up, its obscure but apparently it has something to do with a squad of suicide bombers in WW2. I've gotten some pretty nasty tells from a few players that really shocked me. Am I going to change the name? No and nobody should force me to either. If the devs suddenly decide the name is indeed an offense I'll take the hit but being oversensitive to things like this marginalizes "real" accounts of offense, racism, poor judgement and people generally being dumbazzes".

true strength comes from being kind, understanding and forgiving.
    • Like x 2
  13. High Troller Loyal Player

no problem. i don't think i want to read the rest of the 5 pages of responses after this though. lol
  14. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Heres something to think about about, I just learnt 'jogger' was considered a racist slur now all because someone's iPhone auto-corrected the 'N' word into that and its went viral. So it's now seen as a racist slur.

That amount of sensitivity that it takes to be offended by 'jogger' is mind boggling to me and shows how petty humanity has truly become.
    • Like x 2
  15. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

No clue what your in about you too are entitled t
    No idea what your on about but your opinion is yours an thats cool.
    I have not done anything to anyone im aware of. You must be an excellent person to suggest that i am fundamentally a bad person when u dont know me and dont inow much of anything about me.
    Have a blessed day anyway :)
  16. Plowed In Loyal Player

7 pages later and I see we all have room to grow... ;)

“Talk less, listen more”
    • Like x 1