"Rude League Names"

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lara, Aug 29, 2020.

1. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

No, they can "start enforcing subjective decisions" every hour of the day and always have been able to so do. And they always will be able to.

There's no "fair" involved as regards a privately owned game. DCUO can and will enforce whatever subjective decisions they wish to, and they haven't the faintest obligation to care about what someone's opinion of what is "fair" is or isn't.

It's actually pretty weird that people think they have a "right" to make rules for other people's private property. Since when is it "unfair" to own something? Or you a Proudonite?
    • Like x 2
  2. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

A couple of days ago i type into pug group chat "i'm going to make coffee" while waiting for murk to spawn. come back to see murk still lurking and type "geez I bet I have enough time to make an omelette" and apparently that pissed somebody off in the group who decided to inform me I was forevermore BLOCKED.

Is "omelette" some kind of offensive term the kids are using nowadays because I like thinking if I'm going to offend someone I'm far more blunt than that.

My omelettes are things of beauty. The one in question for that day was minced portobello and basil with shallots and bacon lardon.
    • Like x 2
  3. Controller Devoted Player

On a more serious note just yesterday I saw a villain with a obviously offensive (and racist) name. It was during the Ares and Athena bounties.

Didn't bother to report it even though it was bothersome. I'm not quitting the "Good Fight", but I let that one go because I'm tired of the strife in this country.

He / she went away eventually (along with the other villains in that phase) after a few minutes.

For every ignorant in the world I keep telling myself there are 10 good people.
    • Like x 1
  4. the solowing Steadfast Player

5. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

I find that generally when people are telling others to "toughen up", what they really mean is "please allow me to be less considerate without backlash."

It's not really anyone's place to tell someone else that something should not hurt or bother them. If they are hurt or upset by something, they have already reached that state and "should" doesn't even apply.

Also, I find it hilariously funny how people calling others "snowflakes" and "buttercups" are literally so sensitive about how sensitive other people are, that they needed a special term. If only mirrors displayed irony.
    • Like x 5
  6. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Why are you trying to impose your sensitive views of other people's offense on them? What offends them does not offend you, so why do you care? How can you reasonably lecture other people about how you're offended that people get offended?

The fact is that neither you nor anyone else get to shut down the views of people you disagree with. If you're so damn sensitive to people being offended, how about you quit being offended and sensitive and let other people give their opinions in peace? Your sensitivity is not privileged over that of anyone else's.
    • Like x 4
  7. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

All this.
    • Like x 1
  8. the solowing Steadfast Player

(removing things based on what offends each individual person is a very bad idea.)
    • Like x 1
  9. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

Except that, well...
    • Like x 1
  10. the solowing Steadfast Player

Yea it does, heres an example
    I used to go the name Blackout, would i lose my name because someone found it offensive due to the 2003 blackout, theyve experienced?
    [IMG]
  11. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

That is in no way an example.
  12. Lycan Nightshade Dedicated Player

if a name is offending you, report and move on. Either something will be done or not.

i honestly dont care what ppl name themselves or a league... it wont offend me.
    • Like x 1
  13. myandria Item Storage

Ahh, yes, the very attitude of the early days of online gaming; sorry, but don't expect me to buy those "you are too sensitive" clamp-down wolf tickets you are trying to sell.

I have never said that the devs need to remove anything; all I said was that the devs should update their filters to today's language usage. Again, reporting offensive/rude names and terms allows the devs to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of. Online games are constantly evolving, so filters and acceptable/unacceptable words and terms should also evolve instead of being stuck in the 1990's/early 2000's.

Using the word "COVID" in a name or term is not subjective; it is a direct, sensitive real life pandemic that is happening right now and common sense should guide people to not use it at this point in time. Of course, it is up to the devs to figure out how to deal with it; however, it doesn't mean that players who find it offensive shouldn't give light about it or report it.
    • Like x 2
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Censorship is not a good thing. You think it's a good thing as long as it's the things you don't like being censored, but one day it will come for you.

I get community guidelines and if they want to change the community guidelines to include certain words or phrases, so be it. Or feel free to report what you find offensive. I'd guess if there are enough reports about one group or person, an overwhelming number even, the devs will step in. But just because you are offended does not make something wrong as a whole. Censorship is a very slippery slope that can get steep... quick.
    • Like x 1
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Just playing devils advocate here. I don't have a dog in that fight, but lets just pretend for a minute that someone wanted to name a league 'Breast cancer survivors' and cater exclusively to people who have survived or their families....they'd all wear pink and maybe bring some awareness to the issue. Well if I'm a super conservative religious type (I'm not really) the word 'breast' might be offensive to me, my small kids play this game and I don't feel like having them see that name. I'm offended, so they cannot have that name...right?

Silly I know, but it's not far off what you are stating.

Besides...if there are that many instances where this comes up to offend you, pull the 'show league name' option off.
    • Like x 2
  16. thedemonocus Loyal Player

Call me crazy but i do this weird thing where if i see a name i don't like i ignore it and move on with my life.
    • Like x 3
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

If i find your name offensive, you deserve to lose your name because its offensive to me? I dont care if anyone else doesn't find it offensive, it offends ME and because of that you should be forced to change it.

If someones name can be forced to be change because you don't like it, then i can have your name forcefully changed regardless of what it is, because I dont like it and find it offensive.

Do you not see how fast it can be weaponized against you?

If i name my character FourFourFour and it offends a Asian player, does he have the right to report me and have my name changed due to him taking offensive to it?
    • Like x 1
  18. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I wish there was less moderation in game, i saw a few weeks ago on here that you couldn’t use the name therapist and lost my mind, had to log out of the forums.

<snip>
    • Like x 3
  19. nawanda Loyal Player

I really don’t think that Breast Cancer Surviviors and the scenario you describe is remotely in the same ball park as Down syndrome. The only commonality is they relate to serious conditions.

I’m not saying that someone offended by the word “breast” in your example would have any reasonable complaint whatsoever.

There is a test of reasonableness. Would a reasonable person be likely to consider it offensive. I mention in subsequent posts.

For the last time, I am not an advocate for ‘one person finds it offensive so therefore it is offensive’.

All I have encountered in this thread is points which address things I have not said. Not a single person has said that they think the name Down syndrome is acceptable for a league name. Instead, 3-4 posters have gone round the houses with either far fetched reasons why they name might have been chosen, other examples of names, or responding to points I haven’t even made.
    • Like x 1
  20. ThunderGunExpress Well-Known Player

Don't "lose your mind". Simply a somewhat understandable technicality.
    I get why you'd want that name for a character, but if you get why it could be abused, you simply find a different name to use an d move on.

I'm not responding to you, Reinheld, as much as responding to whom you quoted (...it seems Mepps did some pruning; and there's a touch of irony to Mepps having to remove rude comments from a thread regarding rude league and character names. Firstly, simply that the forums are much easier to police because the staff are right here. One single person on the payroll and/or with the authority to properly moderate global chat in-game is nowhere to be found. Secondly, that it's really needed at all. It's a shame how often Mepps has to repeat himself and tell people to be respectful to each other, even if their views are opposing. Without pointing fingers, even in some of the remaining comments the same points can be given being worded in a different manner. We all have our off-days too, though.)
    In any case, I think that league name is referring to an episode of South Park in which Cartman is playing a superhero dressed as a raccoon...but the whole (not terribly funny) joke is he doesn't realize his superhero name is offensive. Those episodes did give us some of the greatest superheroes ever with Captain Hindsight and Mint-Berry Crunch...so it's a wash.
    I mean, I like the occasional South Park too...but I'm not going to go ahead and name my league Unclefu....well, see the movie. Or don't.
    Either the proprietor of the league is as oblivious as Cartman, or a really big fan of South Park trying to "push the boundaries" and be "edgy". Neither is really great.
    Personally I think the shortened version of raccoon is much more deserving of filtering than the word therapist...but hey. I don't run the joint.

For the most part, I agree with you though. Censorship is a slippery slope.
    I'd like to avoid a "Fahrenheit 451"...but I have a low tolerance for racism (or sexism for that matter. And playing, cheaters and non-participants.) But while I've seen a few sexist comments here and there, I don't recall having ever seen a sexist character or league name.
    However.
    Simply playing this game, I've encountered more racist character and league name and read more racist comments than I really wanted to in this lifetime.
    In a game that involves superheroes, occasionally with youngsters playing.

It's not so much that I'm "personally" offended. I'm not going to report you. Frankly...that's not my job.
    I think once a couple of years ago there was someone in LFG looking for a group that had a name I found pretty racist which prompted me to reply something along the lines of "your name sucks" (something I'd rarely do) which prompted maybe a couple of others to reply with ^^ and that was the end of that. I went about my business. So I'm not "personally" offended...but I do think you sound like an idiot and not someone I really want to associate myself with.
    If they want to put me on the payroll or give me the authority, I suppose I'd do it...but I wouldn't be very popular, as I'd probably also be abolishing any form or salutations or acknowledgment that involves the "N" word in any form of spelling. It matters not what race you are when written; I'm assuming you're a 12 year old white boy or perpetuating it's usage for 12 year old white boys trying to sound cool (and I find those who try to sound cool rarely are). And I'm speaking of the written word, not a fictional character being fleshed out in a Spike Lee or Quentin Tarantino movie or even in a room with a group of like-minded friends. I simply know it'll never become a part of my vocabulary, written or spoken (and while I think it's okay for perhaps a character I'd create in a story...it's still doubtful because it's really not my voice), no matter how commonplace it becomes.

It's somewhat strange times we live in. On the one side we have the ultra-sensitive woke generation like this for example, where I find the end result a good thing but the catalyst a bit ridiculous (but, then, we reap the seeds...) and the court of public opinion ostracizing comments taken out of context; or the extreme opposite where racism is running rampant...and I'm in the same place I've always been which is somewhere down the middle.

And I don't know how, why or when proper names became insults.
    I've known a handful of properly named Karens in my life and a couple of Felicias and what did those poor people do to have their name turned into the poorest insults ever lacking any creativity but rather jumping on some stupid internet-speak bandwagon?
    Again. I won't be personally insulted if you call me that. I'll just think you're an idiot bereft of any imagination.
    Have some cojones and call me a real insult.

And this is in a game where Richard Grayson's nickname isn't quite as popular on real human beings as it once was.
    The best you can really hope for is being featured on David Letterman (admittedly, I recall being in a room with a group of friends watching the episode he was introduced on and I couldn't help but laugh and I couldn't help feeling a bit guilty about it and feeling a bit sorry for the guy).

As I posted this, I thought to myself "...of all the places in the world he could have lived in...he lives in Regina". I mean, it's almost poetic.

You've got me Pavlov's dogging.
    Frittata me up, man.
    • Like x 1