Wonderverse bounties calculate difficulty by number of players

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MiLady, Aug 21, 2020.

1. MiLady Well-Known Player

I hope that this is not the sole factor as to increase/decrease the difficulty of each open world boss and their minions. There are several factors that affect the burn rate and eventually KO the boss.

1) Number of DPS vs support roles (Tank, Controller, Healers). If a significant number of players in the zone are DPS, then the success rate would be much higher than a group of say half DPS and half support.

2) The real level of each player in the zone. Since you allow CR-15 level players to participate, lets take this into account. A CR-15 player will do significantly less damage than an end-level player. So if you have a group of say 30-40 CR-15 players, and only use the number of players to increase the difficulty, then they probably will not be able to KO the boss. I have seen a group of 15 end-level players KO the bosses. I have been in both types of groups and have seen a huge difference in the success rate.

3) Are you preventing controllers from debuffing the bosses and minions? This affects the effectiveness of the overall damage from the players.

Hopefully, the devs will take these other factors into account when calculating Boss difficulty. At the moment, it seems to be just the number of players. What can we expect to be a minimal successful group size, composition, CR level, that would be successful in completing all of the bosses (including hydra)?
  2. SekretVillain Loyal Player

-Trolls can debuff these bosses
    -cr15 ppl are scaling up to cr299 cr and stats
    - every group I've joined has had 7 dps and me as heal, or 6 dps 1 troll and me as heal, and I'm 100% finished with the bounty feats have been since first few days of week 2 of the DLC.

So what exactly is your complaint here? If it's how difficulty is calculated then it's based in how many are fighting the bounty.
  3. MiLady Well-Known Player

For me, I have been in groups of 20+ players, who still can not defeat the open world bosses and hydra. Most of them were event level players (CR299) players. I am end-level at CR309.

I have been in some successful groups, but these players were top end-level players and the burn rate was astonishing.

Basically, my beef is that even though event level players are boosted to CR299, their skill points, artifact levels, and available powers (you get all powers when your level 30+) are simply not there to do the same output as a player who is truly CR299 and has earned a decent amount of Skill points and have artifacts levels between (80-120). So if the devs just use the Number of players in the zone as a sole determining factor for boss difficulty, it simply does not work effectively. You would still need to have a group of end-level players to help defeat these bosses.
  4. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Is why I always tell people returning to the game to play through the DLC' and enjoy each DLC, because all rushing to end game will do is have you feeling like your not doing enough heals/power/damage ect because everything will be so under leveled vs if you took your time and got to end game at a natural pace.

Sure nobody wants to be playing 8 year old content, but at the same time nobody should want to be at end game at CR309+ and be hitting as hard as someone 100cr' lower then them either
  5. Brit Loyal Player

I think the issue with this is that a level 15 player does not have access to all of their powers yet. Often they are left with a very poor rotation of sub-optimal powers that vastly underperforms in DPS when compared to the non-clamped 299 players using their full power access.

Additionally, a level 15 player will typically be playing without other tools of advancement, like Generator Mods, skill points, and Artifacts. While being stat-clamped up to 299 does increase their core stats, it's the equivalent of giving them a set of 299 gear. It doesn't make them equal to a 299 player who has actually been playing and advancing their character for real.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that they get clamped up and have the opportunity to participate. In previous Episodes, it was solely an advantage to have extra players there, because everyone's contributions added to the total. But for Wonderverse, since the bosses have despawn hard-timers, and they allegedly scale based on number of participants, theoretically the best results would be to fight them with the smallest possible group of highly effective players, rather than with a large group of weak players adding more difficulty than what their presence off-sets.

Though personally, I do not believe that the bounty scaling exists. I believe that the Developers have intended it, but I do not believe that it is working. Small groups are getting routinely trounced. Large groups are steamrolling the enemies. The lesser bosses seem weighted to a group of 16-20, with Hydra being weighted at around 30ish players. Going in with less does not seem to make them easier; it results in failure. Going in with more does not seem to make them more challenging; it strictly makes the encounter easier.

I have seen no evidence of the scaling actually existing in game.
    • Like x 3
  6. myandria Item Storage

Agreed, and these issues should be a hint and and a half for the devs to boost up the base level for Event Mode to 30 instead of 15. At level 30 a character has access to ALL of their powers, not just a few of them. At level 15 characters don't have access to artifacts yet, even if they are gained by other means; characters STILL have to do the Constantine Artifact Solo Mission in order to gain access, and that doesn't happen until level 20 or so.
    • Like x 3
  7. Brit Loyal Player

In contrast, I actually think that making players wait for powers is a silly idea out of the gate. Back at launch, we had power trees and we had to unlock powers through leveling up. Now everything just has a level where it unlocks, and you get access to them all.

In my ideal, we would have full access to our Movement power tree by level 4, exiting Brainiac ship and being able to spend a skill point for fast movement, instead of being stuck waiting for level 10.

In my ideal, we would have full access to our Powerset powers by level 10 at the latest, and that's just because we don't gain access to our Support Role until level 10.

I do not see any advantage from telling players to play for hours, leveling up while using sub-optimal powers in a poor rotation before getting access to the powers they will actually need and use. All it accomplishes is reinforcing bad habits.
    • Like x 2
  8. SekretVillain Loyal Player

This I agree with, i think you need to be lvl 30 before you get access or at least introduce artifacts and whatnot sooner, but as far as powers go lvl 30 would be best so ppl can at least have a full loadout for whatever they are doing.
  9. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Agree, never understood this either what's the harm in giving players access to powers at level 10 or at least your first mentor mission(I dont remember what level that's at)
    • Like x 1
  10. spikeat Well-Known Player

I think it's safe to assume that everyone who has completed the feats with long successful runs, were in phases where there were 40-60 players.
  11. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Not everyone, I was in phases that only had 35 maybe, this was when I was farming my feats and aethers.

Of course now I get in any phase just to help friends and league mates get aether and feats.
  12. spikeat Well-Known Player

That's quite close to 40 and doable. Being in a phase with just 20 players is drastically different.
  13. SekretVillain Loyal Player

Regardless, it is doable with less than 40-60 as I have been in several groups below those numbers and have went through the entire round of bounties.
  14. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

one of the things i think that would have worked here is a mechanic from the old Final Fantasy console games when it comes to timed boss fights.

Things were set up in such a way in that depending on when you downed the boss certain loot tables would open up. If you kill the Efreet within five seconds of the timer going down you might get some adamantium. If you kill the adamantoise before the one minute mark you ight get the drop that lets you craft an ultima weapon.

stuff like that.

If you knew you could get a rare drop if the boss goes down ten seconds before the timer lapses it might encourage players to be a little less "BURN IT DOWN NOW".

As it is I dont really see any scaling difference.
  15. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

We beat Murk with 6 players. Needed the extra minute grace period, but we did it. The phase filled up to about 20 for the rest of the bosses and we easily beat them. Except Hydra. I definitely don't see the scaling working for Hydra. That one needs some work imo
  16. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

This is a good point as well. It would be nice to get all of your powers early; however, there would be little money made because players would not have to spend much time/money gaining their powerset(s). Gaining all powers early would not solve the issue with older content being devoid of players, either.

MMO's in general rely on the "grind to attain powers", especially RPG based ones; for better or for worse, that grind helps to extend the game. A balance is sorely needed between leveling up and gaining powers for TODAY's players, not yesterdays tabletop D&D players, in my opinion.
  17. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

The complaint in reference to CR is that a 15cr player with clammed stats at 299 has no clue what they are doing, no arts, no augs, no skill, no experience, no anything exceot clamped stats.
    Basically they would be overly useless. One proper end game player likely easily does the damage of multiple clamped stat players.
    The OP is sayin that numbers alone wont win this and in theory he/she is correct.
    • Like x 2
  18. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

OK, but after lvl 30 we aren't really obtaining any new abilities related to our chosen power set. There is little time and zero money spent getting a toon to lvl 30. So I can see where some might think it seems kind of pointless to not have them all unlocked after the ship. You can always grind sp to unlock new iconic or movement abilities.
  19. Black Jaq Devoted Player

I said to someone last night, why do people focus on Steppenwolf and not Kalibak when Kali has the more devastating attack. People don't block on Ares. Players dont try to stop spartoi spawning on hydra. People make things more difficult on themselves.

Now, im sure many players doing the bounties don't understand the importance of a ST loadout. Indeed, most finishers are not available until level 25. But i dont imagine the majority of CR clamped players are under level 30. Ive seen some old people pop up on my friends list who haven't played in years before the Revamp. They aren't going to have the tools to contribute the most to a group.

The bounties should calculate on the number of CR relevant players, not the number of players who are stat increased.
  20. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Ag
    Agreed fully to ur 2nd point, to your 1st piint theres a super glaring easy reason no one focuses the mechanics.
    You dont need to. Why would anyone waste time preventing spartoi or focusing kali 1st? In a packed phase (the way we r all doing this) the mechanics dont change anything. They dont speed it up, they dont make it easier. They do however take burn away thus slowing it down.

Now if 10-16 ppl were attempting this (no clue why anyone would waste that time tho) then yes, they wouod need to do mechanics or adds an such would overwhelm an bosses would 1-shot an wipe rhe group etc but none of that is relevant in a packed phase. You get 3-5 load-out rotations topps In a packed phase so no one is gonna waste it doing a mechanic for cear of not getting top rewards.
    Its the reality. Best part to me is (and im guilty of NOT doing mechanics for reasons above) That when ohases die as more an more are done an done forever an ppl have to start actually putting in work on these, there be threads raining from the heavens about how tough they are an how there's too many adds etc.
    Sadly the state of thebgame is to spam so my advice is spam while the getting is good otherwise accept the alternative. I dont like it, but its the reality.
    • Like x 1